1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Astros '01: Choke City III

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Baqui99, Oct 3, 2001.

1. Desert Scar

Desert Scar Contributing Member

Oh, I think the Stros need to do all they can to take 2/3 from St. Louis. Facing Atl with 2/3 at home is a much, much, better proposition than having to beat CS and RJ twice in 5 games to have any chance.

The playoffs start today for the Stros, and the tiebraker is to their advantage. They still have as close to 50/50 chance of still winning the divsion. Unless one team wins the first 2, I would not throw away the last game (pull up a minor league pitcher) by any strech of the imagination. They also could end up having to play SF in an extra game if they fart around. Again, the Astros need to play like tonight is there last game.

2. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

Desert Scar,

grrrrrrr....the Utah game was not a choke it was a bear hug. Besides, once you get christened as a Clutch team, you are Clutch forever, like a Knight is a Knight forever.

The Suns game was a major choke. I agree.

This is not really a semantics thing...because the media was actually calling the Rocket's chokers...not just the city. They took all the bad playoffs performances of the Oilers and Astros and equated the Rockets to that for one bad collapse. And this despite the fact the star of the team proved against Magic and Seattle time and time again that he personally never chokes in big games.

anyhow...what surprised me about the thread title was that I had never heard of such a thing as Choke City I or II...like it is accepted as history, rather than completely refuted by history...hence Clutch City.

imo, Clutch City was a symbolic gesture to remove the Rockets from the choke tag ever again. In fact, they own the copyright, so even if the Astros turn around and win the world series, they cannot wear Clutch City t-shirts in their victory parade unless the Rockets deem them worthy enough. :D

isn't that right Clutch!

3. Manny Ramirez

Manny Ramirez The Music Man

It could be worse...all of you could be Red Sox fans!:(

4. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

10:26 on 10-03-01 was when I made the "at least they didn't give up a homer to Bonds" statement, about a day before he hit #70. If you're gonna quote me to make me look stupid, at least attempt to do it right. Better luck next time.