1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Why did Green fall?

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by emjohn, Jun 29, 2005.

Tags:
  1. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

Anyone have any ideas?

I half-believe that Portland took Webster instead, because they didn't take well to Green's agent telling them he wouldn't workout unless it was solo (wouldn't go head to head with other prospects); Portland told them not to come at all.

But why drop all the way to 18?

Evan

2. Genuine

Genuine Member

After Toronto passed, no other teams were really targeting him. And since he didn't even work out for any non loto teams, he didn't help himself a whole lot.

3. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Like Genuine said, Green only worked out for a couple lottery teams. After the lottery went by, teams didn't expect Green to be there and probably didn't know too much about him.

4. emjohn

emjohn Contributing Member

So...victim of his agent's predraft strategy?

Teams that surprised me by passing on him:
    Charlotte at both #5 and #13 (lack offensive options)
    Toronto at #7 and #16 (lack offense, athletic swingmen)
    Orl at #11 (replace Christie)
    LAC at #12 (to play next to Maggette)
    Minn at #14 (replace Spree)

All of the above could badly use an athlete/scorer like Green at the #2 position. I can maybe understand Orl a little, since they plan on moving Francis to the 2.

Evan

5. Zboy

Zboy Contributing Member

Celtics will be formidable very soon. They have a young core of extremely good players and if they can lock them up after their rookie contracts run out, they will contend for years.

I see Pacers winning a championship very soon if Artest comes back and now that they have Granger. They have Pistons-like defense with better offense.

Wish rockets could have moved up to grab either Granger or Green. :(

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Minn took McCants to replace Spree. It's a different sort of gamble. They chose to gamble on bad attitude than gamble on potential.

A couple of years ago, I think Green would have gone earlier as teams who didn't work him out would be willing to take the chance anyway. But, after Kwame showed can't-miss high school prospects can miss, and Eddie Griffin showed you need to know what you're getting into, a lot of teams would think twice about drafting someone without really looking into them.

7. KellyDwyer

KellyDwyer Contributing Member

Great posts.

Also, SG is the easiest position to fill. Only two pure shooting guards have been taken as high as 2nd since 1986, so teams didn't mind passing on the guy who could be this Draft's leading scorer in ten years.

A little off-topic, but shows how much idiot sportswriters know: this morning at a sportswriter site I go to that had a thread on the Draft, one genius said Julius Hodge would be the league's leading scorer in ten years. Not sure why Julius would wait until he was 32 to start averaging 32 a game, but there you have it.

And no, before you ask, I couldn't tell if the sportswriter was Peter Vecsey or Chad Ford.

8. wizardball

wizardball Member

GM's get fired very quickly in this league..nobody wants to wait 3-5 years on a guy when his own a$$ is on the line!!

9. slowmustang

slowmustang Member

Teams were also scared since they have never seen him play defense. His agent only allowed him to have individual workouts and every tape of him was all offense. I would blame the agent if I was Gerald Green.

10. Toast

Toast Member

Yeah, that's funny. I thought they'd be looking forward to a breath of fresh air, ridding themselves of a headcase. But it looks like they were really thinking, "well, we handled one headcase. We can handle another."

Gluttons for punishment.

11. apostolic3

apostolic3 Member

Bingo, except Green deserves blame for going along with that strategy.

12. Kurupt the Kingpin

I don't understand why he only worked out for teams drafting 3-6 when he never recieved a guarantee from any of them that they would take him. I can understand why alot of teams passed on him because he never gave them a workout. High schoolers have enough risk; you add in the fact that he refused workouts and you end up with GM's simply backing off.

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

His parents should have been involved with his representation but with all the smoke people were blowing I'm guessing everyone in his camp figured top 6.

If I were a GM,I would have been a little concerned with his smarts and communication skills too. I mean, if he is the second coming of Jordan it wouldn't matter if he were The Rainman but if he busts you will be the one that gave him the contract.

14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Rumor was that GMs were miffed that his agent only allowed private individual workouts and didn't allow Green to go head to head with other players.

15. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

Methinks Portland should have still invited him for the individual workout.

The last thing you want to see is Gerald blossoming so soon and Martel ending up to be a poor man's Q Richardson. Martel will (my hunch and from the little I have seen from them) NOT be as good as Gerald in the 2005-06 season and career.

PS. McCants will leave the Wolves with an egg on their face. Rashad is a prima dona waiting to implode. He is not even bigger that Head. He thinks he is the next Vincanity. Not!

16. Hakeem06

Hakeem06 Member

why did teams pass of green???? because there are a ton of stupid GM's out there who dont' have any clue how to evaluate talent and project it at the next level. i think green will become the best player out of this draft when it's all said and done with granger and paul close behind.

17. MrButtocks

MrButtocks Contributing Member

Clipps should've taken him instead of Yoro Korolev, who has the potential for bust all over him anyways. They need a 2 and don't have anyone to backup the 2 they bring in. Yoro won't even be ready for years. They made a bad promise.

18. hooroo

hooroo Member

The Clipps have pretty much sewn up all their loose ends so a gamble on a C isn't too bad for them. This years draft was pretty light on C's.

Livingston/Jaric, Maggette, Simmons, Brand/Wilcox, Kaman

The only glaring hole there is Kaman.

If they resign Jaric who pretty much can cover both guard positions and there's always other factors like maintaining team chemistry/keeping personnel happy, ie Maggette.

19. slickvik69

slickvik69 Contributing Member

For the record, Green was NEVER cut off the Dobie team. I guess being on JV as a sophomore is "getting cut." This is just the delusional media trying to make an interesting story.

Michael Jordan was never cut either, he played JV his first 2 years of high school, and varsity his last two years.

Basically I guess if you're not on varsity as a freshman the media considers that getting cut off the team.

20. chow_yun_fat

chow_yun_fat Contributing Member

I would love to see Green succeed since he is from Houston, but I dont think he's going to live up to the hype. Here's hoping that he'll prove me wrong.