1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Draft Comments (Non-Rockets)

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Relativist, Jun 28, 2005.

1. Relativist

Relativist Contributing Member

Sorry if there's a thread for this already.

I'm probably off, but I'm predicting an Orlando, Toronto trade. Vasquez makes sense for the Raptors, and Orlando reportedly wanted Villaneuva, according to a mock.

2. KaiSeR SoZe

KaiSeR SoZe Contributing Member

I can't believe how much Green has slipped! the guy is gonna be a stud

3. Tdogg

Tdogg Member

I am with you on that one. They say this kid is the next T-mac and T-mac was drafted #9. Time will tell.

4. foodworld

foodworld Member

Hehehe. Hahahah. Bwahahahaha!

5. wizardball

wizardball Member

Villaneuva...is going to N.O...for Magloire....i live in T.O and that's what i hear.

6. wizardball

wizardball Member

Villaneuva...is going to N.O...for Magloire....i live in T.O and that's what i hear...plus other parts

7. Relativist

Guess I was wrong.

I noticed that Winston didn't get drafted. I thought he was supposed to go early second-round.

No one picked up Alan Anderson or Jawad Williams either.

8. Greg M

Greg M Member

Indiana got a steal. Granger is a player, coachable and a nice guy. I can't wait to see him play at the 3 next to O'Neal.

9. Greg M

Greg M Member

"Granger can come in here tomorrow and play," said team President Larry Bird. "He's very talented. I never dreamed he'd be there. ... I still can't believe it. I think he's that good of a player."

"If we would've had the fifth pick, he would've been the best player available. That's how strongly we felt about Danny Granger's abilities to not only play in this league but contribute on our team. We're very fortunate tonight, and very happy." Carlisle

10. lalala902102001

I remember Martynas Andriuskevicius was considered a top three pick a couple of years ago.

How he has slipped.

11. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

Best Drafts:
    New York
    Golden State
    Boston
    Worst:
    Raptors
    The Raptors are doomed.

12. Relativist

It's funny, because as bad a pick as I believe Charlie Villaneuva is at #7, I think Toronto did equally well with Graham at #16 and Leni-Ukic in the second-round.

13. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

I disagee aobut the Raptors. I think this was a good draft for them. The first pick looked a little iffy initially, and I do think it’s a high risk high reward type pick, but as the draft unfolded it started looking better and better and they’re other picks were absolute steals.

Most mocks were expecting the Raptors to take Granger or Green or Wright at 7, but they all dropped way down so clearly they weren’t what the mock makers thought they were. Charlie V. was probably the best player on the board at 7, other than Fry, and he had refused to work out for the Raptors. CV a very athletic guy who can play centre, but at 6’10” 240 he’s not a big body centre. Araujo is there, though, so they already have one of those. CV fits a need very well and he’s an ubber athlete kind of guy. His work ethic has been questioned but if he gets it together and becomes a pro he could be a steal at that pick, and if not he could be a bust, so high risk but potential high reward too.

Graham fits a need perfectly and was probably a bargain where they picked him anyway, and the PG they got in the second at 41 most had them taking with the 16 pick. He may have dropped because a lot of teams had taken PGs in this draft already and because he is a less known Euro, but he’s a guy the Raptors have had their eye on for quite a while. So the Raps essentially got 3 lottery or near lottery players with their first 3 picks, the 7, 16 and 41.

But you can count on the fact that their fans will whine incessantly about this draft. Toronto may be the worst sports city on the planet. It’s a town full of posers, whiners and wannabes who haven’t a clue about the sports they claim to be fans of, so any Toronto media you check out is virtually guaranteed to be in full on whine and complain mode about this draft.

14. wizardball

wizardball Member

It's funny, because as bad a pick as I believe Charlie Villaneuva is at #7...

he is'nt all that bad...the dumb a$$ espn analysts and others think its a bad move...though it was between him,Vazquez, and Frye....i don't think there is a lot seperating them all....Vazquez is also 6-11...and Frye is said to be soft....

Charlie V is the most talented....he just fell down cause people think he is'nt motivated.....at the end of the day the raps did well.....if you guys are wondering why Granger fell....wel according to reports a number of teams are worried about his knees....so i guess Graham was the better choice....he can be a Ron Artest...somethings gotta go right for the raps :(

15. wizardball

wizardball Member

easy there superstar....unlike Vancouver our team ain't goin nowhere. :p

16. Relativist

Good to see you, Grizzled. It feels like it's been awhile.

I really like the later two picks for Toronto. I'm not sold on Charlie V, though. Maybe if he could play SF (or C), but he seems like a PF to me.

17. Grizzled

Grizzled Member

Hey Relativist! Good to see you too. It has been a while. I’m in and out these days but I’m still around. :)

Babcock confirmed in some interviews that he expects Bosh and CV to be on the floor together a lot so they were thinking about using him as an athletic 5 when they drafted him. As for athleticism and attitude, the Raptors worked him out so they had their chance for an up close look. He may have the mentality of a complimentary player, but that’s probably a good thing for the Raps right now. Bosh had a problem getting the ball enough last year. We’ll see how his attitude pans out but physically he’s the kind of 5 the Raptors were looking for, IMO. I think he matches up well with a lot of the 5s in the east.

18. Yaomania345

Yaomania345 Member

They did well with their other picks but Charlie V is no where close to Fyre. They have spent their LAST 3 first round picks on a PF. This team has too many needs to get another. Maybe i was hard on the raptors but they could have easily had a great draft and they ended up with a decent one. Bad Pick.

19. hooroo

hooroo Member

I wonder if the Raptors had an agreement with the other teams regarding Roko. I read somewhere they were the only ones with a visa for him and was surpprised he was picked so late after all the hype. Even Travis Diener was picked ahead of him.

20. Toast

Toast Member

I actually liked the Charlie V. pick for Toronto. Poor Toronto gets a bad rep. All these players keep wanting out of there. I imagine that makes it difficult for them to find not only talent but talent that won't quit just because they're playing in Toronto.