1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

I Don't Like Political Ads

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by halfbreed, Nov 1, 2004.

1. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

Just wondering if anyone else laughs everytime a political ad comes on. I mean I guess what I'm trying to say is that I feel sorry for the people who actually base their vote on these commercials...I simply find them high quality comedy.

Vote for this candidate, or all the babies in the world will die of the flu...Vote for this candidate, or you will die a horrible death tomorrow...etc.

2. Fegwu

Fegwu Contributing Member

I am with you on this one but of all this season, I must admit that I really like GWB's whatever it takes commercial.

Since I am in Texas I may not have seen all the commercials seen in battle ground states but that one that I named above is easily the best imho this season. Nice.

3. Preston27

Preston27 Contributing Member

I was watching TV and the Tom Delay commercial came on. It started off by talking about how their opponent's campaign resorted to bashing them, and then bashed their opponent.

Never once did a single issue come up.

4. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I just got through watching a low Bush commercial, completely full of garbage, and was surprised when George and Laura (Laura looks up at George with a loving, cow-like expression... sorry, Laura, but it was cow-like) appear in "country" garb, and Bush's voice-over says, "I'm George Bush, and I approve this message." I expected one of the 527's to be putting up that junk. I was watching CNN at the time.

Keep D&D Civil!!

5. ima_drummer2k

ima_drummer2k Contributing Member

I see what you are saying but if these so called negative ads didn't exist, all candidates would look exactly the same. Every single candidate would come on wearing a shirt (with the sleeves rolled up) and tie and talking to some dude in a hard-hat. Or some old lady. Or a bunch of kids.

They would all talk about what a family man the candidate is and how they believe in lowering taxes and supporting teachers, giving kids a future, you know, all these broad obvious topics that everyone wants.

6. outlaw

outlaw Member

is that tagline a Republican only thing? I don't think I've seen any Democrat ads with that.

it's the most annoying part of the commercials to me.

7. halfbreed

halfbreed Contributing Member

If I recall correctly, I think it's required now to say who funded/approved each commercial with all of the 527's and whatnot, but I could be wrong about that.

8. El_Conquistador

El_Conquistador King of the D&D, The Legend, #1 Ranking
    Supporting Member

It's on Kerry's too. I believe it was a part of McCain Feingold. It was designed to lessen negative attacks, since the candidate would have to declare their support for the ad. Didn't really work.

9. outlaw

outlaw Member

well i meant more the format of the tagline.
    i know most ads have a voiceover saying "this message paid for by..."

but I've seen only GOP ads have them say "I'm (blank) and I approve this message"

10. JPM0016

JPM0016 Contributing Member

No, all Kerry ads put out by his campaign have to have the "I'm John Kerry and i approve of this message as well.

11. IROC it

IROC it Contributing Member

Martin Frost does it here in Dallas... he's a democrat.

I'm IROC it, and I approve of this reply.

12. TL

TL Contributing Member

I'm in a swing state and have been BOMBARDED with political ads. All the W ads say "I'm GWB and I approve..."

THe positive Kerry ads say "I'm JK and I approve...". THe Kerry attack ads say "This ad paid for by the DNC..." or other groups in support of Kerry. And there are not (m)any positive Kerry ads left.

Seems like Kerry is staying within the letter of the law, but not the spirit (at least with the DNC, not sure about the others at all). Smart strategy to make it seem like he is staying above the fray a bit, but it's misleading. But that shouldn't be a surpirse...misleading in politics? Never.

As South Park said the other day. It's the Giant Douchebag vs. the Turd Sandwich.

13. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I was just surprised that the Bush campaign associated itself directly with the junk I saw. My point wasn't about the "I approved this message" part, but about Bush really approving the damn thing, if you get my drift.

Keep D&D Civil!!

14. Batman Jones

Batman Jones Contributing Member

TL (and outlaw):

It's a requirement of the McCain/Feingold campaign finance reform act that the ad states who paid for it. If it's paid for by the campaign, the candidate has to say so in his own voice. Every ad from the Kerry camp and every ad from the Bush camp will have the "I'm [Bush or Kerry] and I approved this message" tag. It was the same in the primaries.

It's natural that neither candidate wants to come off as negative so a lot of the attack ads come from the party offices or 527's like Swift Vets or MoveOn. But not all of them. I'm in PA and I've seen a hell of a lot of negative ads (in the main game and in smaller races) that were approved by the candidates on both sides.

15. TL

TL Contributing Member

Yeah, I understand that it's part of the McCain act. Just strange that Bush doesn't use the Republican party the way Kerry seems to be using the Dem to shield himself. My buddy's fiance works reasonably high up in the Kerry campaign. I'll have to ask her about it when she leaves DC.