1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Toni Kukoc: Would you sign him?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Hottoddie, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Hottoddie

Hottoddie Contributing Member

I know he's older than dirt, but he's a very good passer & has a high basketball "IQ". He can play the 2/3/4 positions & would give us a lot more versatility. No one's made him an offer, so we should be able to sign him to a one year deal for the minimum.

His veteran experience & Championship experience should make him well worth the minimum price tag. Also, looking at his game by game stats from last year, shows that he's still got something left in the tank. I'd sign him. Would you?

Toni Kukoc

2. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

While I once liked Kukoc....I think we would just end up cutting some one that could actually help us in the future. Then again.....who all is on our 12(15) man roster?

3. Sane

Sane Member

I'd rather give Boki and Pike the minutes. It would benefit us more in the future, and there would be little, if any, short term gains from playing Kukoc rather than those 2.

4. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

If you looks at his splits page, you'll se a HUGE correlation between Tony's production and his minutes played. He still seems to be a very solid player and just wasn't getting the PT up in Milwaukee. It's a shame no teams have signed him yet.

Normally I'd say we should pick him up, but I don't think he would get much (if any) more PT here. Plus, I don't think he's a JVG type player.

5. Hottoddie

C: Yao/?
    PF: Howard/Taylor/Spoon
    SF: McGrady/JJ/Nachbar/A.Griffin
    SG: JJ/McGrady/Piatkowski/A.Griffin
    PG: ?/Lue/Gaines

We obviously need a starting PG & backup center, but I could see us trading Piatkowski/A.Griffin & possibly Taylor in a deal to acquire our PG/Center. That would leave an opening for a player like Kukoc.

We could have a lineup at times during the game of:

C: Yao (7'5")
    PF: Howard (6'9")
    SF: Kukoc (6'11")
    SG: McGrady (6'8")
    PG: Daniels? (6'4")

Other than PG, that'd be a tall lineup to run out there, & should cause some serious matchup problems.

6. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes. Tall, can pass and shoot. Good. Not for more than vet min. For a guy with a lot of years, that's over 1 mil, anyway. He might want more. Maybe he's a good rental with the 1.7 mle? He could teach Boki a thing or two.

7. codell

codell Contributing Member

Problem is Kukoc has zero defensive capabilities.

As much as he brings on offense, he gives back away on defense.

He is that awful.

8. Hottoddie

So was Francis. But, with JVG's help defense, we were the top defensive team in the NBA at one point in the season & in the top few all season.

9. codell

Francis had youth and athleticism on his side. So he was capable and JVG made a serviceable defender out of him. You can't say the same for Kukoc.

10. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

man id like to have him, everytime i saw him last season for the bucks, i remember thinkin that hes a good player still at his age

11. sup123

sup123 Member

we already have 11 pepole under contract. :eek:

12. Hottoddie

So, he's not as young & as athletic as Francis, but he's much wiser, has much more size, is a better ball handler, & only averages ½ a steal less per game. You don't think JVG's help defense can make him a better defender? With defense, relying on quickness only, is just a poor substitute for knowledge of the game. Defense is about positioning, vision, & instincts. Knowledge comes with experience & a willingness to better understand the game. I believe that Kukoc could be a solid contributor to this team on both sides of the ball.

13. codell

Too bad Kukoc, at no point in his career, has shown positioning, vision, & instincts. Not once, not ever. :)

Like someone said earlier, I'd rather give those mins to Boki.

BTW, Kukoc's size has given him no advantage during his career, except on offense. His offensive skills and shooting have declined to the point where they can no longer mask his defensive liabilities.

14. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I would rather sign Eric Williams over Kukoc. I agree with Codell. I think Kukoc's defensive liabilities would make him a bad fit on this team or at least a player that JVG wouldn't play all that much.

Kukoc seemed like a better fit for our team before we made the Tmac trade...especially the team under Rudy.

15. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

I guess we don't have too many players. It might not be a bad idea if he didn't take any of Boki's scrub minutes. Boki can still get better.

16. Darrinlane

Darrinlane Member

Even tho he is tall, I would rather have jj at sf. He is actually still moving(barely). Tall doesn't mean too much when your opponent can just blow by you at will.

17. madbomber

madbomber Rox4Life! #FreeJVG

whats up with padgett????are we goin to resign him ?
    tony would be awesome to take over his spot!

18. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

19. tksense

tksense Member

This is just common media blown ignorance about Kukoc.. Ask Milwaukee fans, Atlanta fans, or even Bulls fans, Kukoc was a GOOD defender! In milwaukee, Kukoc was one of the best defender on the team LAST YEAR! Why? His smarts on positioning on the court and strength in the post... (Milwaukee didn't have a post presence so Kukoc was the BEST post player there offensively & DEFensively...)

His help defence is pretty outstanding! Just limited lateral quickness at this age... but somehow he still manages to blow by people for layups last year! kinda strange :eek:

Anyways, developing Boki is much more important; as far as Kukoc's position (2,3,4), no one on our roster would benefit from his qualities... Only probably Yao can learn from Kukoc in the Divac kinda way. Kukoc's one of the best passer I've ever seen!

20. AstroRocket

AstroRocket Member

Sorry Tony, but I think we're set at the forward spots for now. Nice to see you taking advantage of your free time, though.