1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

ESPN.com: Hassell signs 6yr 27M offer sheet with Blazers

Discussion in 'NBA Dish' started by Deuce, Jul 24, 2004.

1. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

WOW, this came out of nowhere! I thought the Nuggets were the team hard after Hassell. At 4.5M I think it is doubtful that the Wolves will match that contract even though Hassell was a very important role player for that team. He will be missed. And once again, another ROLE player getting a SIX year deal! Amazing!

http://sports.espn.go.com/nba/news/story?id=1845927
    Six-year, $27 million deal on the table
    ESPN.com

Minnesota starting guard Trenton Hassell agreed to sign an offer sheet with the Portland Trail Blazers, his agent, Mark Bartelstein, told ESPN Insider Chad Ford on Saturday.

The offer sheet is for six years, $27 million and can pay him a salary of $4.5 million a year.

Because Hassell is a restricted free agent, the Timberwolves will have 15 days to match the offer from the time they receive it.

Will they match?

"I'm not sure what they're going to do," Bartelstein told Insider. "I know they wanted Trenton back, but I think that's a little bit more than they were hoping to pay."

The signing of Hassell likely kills a proposed trade the Blazers were working on with New Jersey Nets that would have sent Shareef Abdur-Rahim to the Nets in return for Kerry Kittles and Aaron Williams. With recent aquiree Nick Van Exel and Hassell in the backcourt, the Blazers probably don't need a fifth guard.

2. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

The madness continues...what are all these GMs smoking?!

It's bad for this sport if role players get these ridiculous contracts!

3. lalala902102001

Things change fast, don't they?

A year ago Trenton Hassell was cut by the worst team in the NBA because he couldn't beat out an undrafted rookie for a roster spot. Now he gets a multi-year contract deal worth almost 30 mil because he had one decent season with a contender.

That's why there are hundres of players who desperately try to get into the league these days. You could have one good year and then don't have to worry about things financially the rest of your life.

BTW Hassell is going to bust. In three years people will question why they signed him to that contract. Trent was a great scorer in college. Somehow he has lost all his shooting ability since he came into the NBA. He's a smart player and can defend, but can't and won't do much more.

4. Rocketsfan03

Rocketsfan03 Member

hassell is a great defender...always has been

great signing if they don't match

5. Nuggets4

Nuggets4 Contributing Member

The Nugs have been hearing Hassell to Portland for a while. Not really a surprise, just a bummer. Reportedly, we're looking at Darius Miles now.

6. dharocks

dharocks Contributing Member

I would think Miles would be a better fit with the Nuggets because of his ability in the open court. He's not much worse defensively, either.

Looks like Portland is going to stock up on a bunch of overpaid, average-to-slightly-above-average players. What else is new?

EDIT: How much capspace does Denver have left?

7. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

But why for Portland? Are they going to have a Hassell/Van Excel backcourt? What about Anderson or Woods? Have they given up on Woods?

And if the Blazers are still trying to get CAP room for next year why blow money on Hassell right now? Totally doesnt make sense for Portland if you ask me.

I am sure the Nuggets weren't going to offer Hassell the contract the Blazers got, and smart for them.

What are the Nuggets going to offer Miles? I guess Miles would be coming off the bench for them if he signed there though.

8. pasox2

pasox2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Why doesn't Minnesota match, then trade Hassell to Denver?

That skita deal doesn't look so bad now.

9. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

I dont think they can do that. I dont think they can trade him immediately after they match it.

10. sup123

sup123 Member

thanks blazers. NO need to make the nuggets better. ;)

11. ragingFire

ragingFire Contributing Member

I doubt that Denver wants to go that route.
    If they wanted him, they would have tried to outbid the Blazers to start with. It's the acceptable way to do business and it does not cost them a whole lot more cash.

To trade for Hassel now, they have to give up something in the trade for the priviledge of paying him plus they risk pissing off the Blazers , and even other teams who won't be doing them any favor down the road . It's bad business.

You want to compete but you don't want to make too many enemies in the process.

12. indaclubam2pm

indaclubam2pm Contributing Member

hassel isnt going to bring portland up to make the playoffs IMO, so the signing, doesnt make a big difference

13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Exactly! In fact he would make a much bigger difference as a key role player for the Wolves than as a role player for the Blazers. Heck he was starting for the Wolves!

This is a ridiculous signing by the Blazers in my opinion. You just dont pay that kind of money for a role player unless you are on the cusp of a championship and you need that player to put you over the top.