1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans Bye Week

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 27, 2020.

1. conquistador#11

So you want to throw in a first round pick for them to take those 2? That's just stupid!
    Let's do it!
    (That's how I imagined BoB and Cal pulling the great Dhop trade)

red5rocket likes this.
  2. red5rocket

red5rocket Member
    Supporting Member

Laughed way too hard at this

3. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Whitney can not be on this team past the trade deadline.

4. raining threes

You actually thought they ever were in that game? The Packers were playing cover 3 most of the 2nd half.

5. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Mercilus has a ridiculous $40.5M left on his deal. Don’t see anyone wanting to take him on with his production.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

7. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Exactly. If someone takes him off our hands fine, but some of the trash statements on here are made with no thought and/or a lot of alcohol.

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. gucci888

Think so. Not sure what teams would offer or what we’d accept but as far as creating cap space for the offseason, there’s no bigger bang for the buck than JJ.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  9. Nimo

Nimo Member

It's not just about the wins and losses but players are less likely to play hard when the team has nothing to play for. There's a good chance a player like Mercilus has a couple good games when the team is trying to make a playoff run. Right now, it's meh.

The other reason to not tank this season is I don't trust the current administration to make the trades. Let the new GM (hopefully better GM) handle the personnel decisions the team needs to make.

10. gucci888

A good chance Mercilus goes off? What makes you think that at all? The last 4 games have essentially been must win games, we are 1-3 and have given up 400 yards of offense twice. Probably would've been a 3rd but for the Packers game being over by halftime. Sure the season gets a bit easier but let's get real, there is as good of a chance at us losing to some bad teams vs. winning.

I'm not saying you are wrong, just saying I don't think it really matters that much to GMs. Especially for guys like Watt, Mercilus, Cooks, Cobb, etc...there is plenty of tape to know who they want and who they don't.

I agree but believe the discussion started with you wanting to "buy" to make a playoff push. If you don't trust the administration to sell, don't see why you would trust them to buy. Not to mention we have little to zero capital to begin with.

And honestly I wouldn't really consider it tanking either. Tanking is deliberately losing games for some type of big incentive/reward and obviously we don't have that this year. To me, I'm looking at it as:
    1.) Preserving health; and 2.) Getting an early start on the inevitable roster moves we'll need to have some type of productive offseason.

#90 gucci888, Oct 30, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 30, 2020
  11. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Who would even give a 7th considering his age, production, and contract?

Glad to see they are willing to listen on everyone. Interesting that Reid and Roby weren’t on that untouchable list. Hopefully someone will take Cunningham for maybe a 4th or 5th.

12. couple of d's

couple of d's Member

I don't follow the Texans as closely as most of you. Is Cunningham's value really that low? I remember reading he had all-pro potential a year or two ago.

13. Spooner

Spooner Member

He’s ok. Misses tackles and has brain lapses from time to time. I believe his value would have been higher if Bill hadn’t signed him to a massive deal this year making him the third highest paid ILB in the league......

14. TheRealist137

TheRealist137 Member

Cunningham is overrated. He's one of those players that would be an average guy on other teams but just due to the dearth of talent on the Texans, he stands out. TV crews have to talk about him because he's the only name worth mentioning besides JJ on the defense.

15. Marteen

Marteen Member

Bring back Bill O'Brien and fire him again.

16. Nimo

Nimo Member

Mercilus is notorious for going on stretches before/after a long disappearance. Against weaker opponents, he could give you five more sacks to end the season. At this point, no one on the Texans defense is attractive outside of JJ Watt. And even JJ's is based on past production not from this year. Well maybe Bradley Roby but he is now battling an injury.

You got me on wanting the GM to buy to make a playoff push. Even though the moves I'm thinking of are minor moves (like Carlos Dunlap for a 7th or Everson for a 6th) that should cost little to nothing but we know they are capable of botching those too.

Maybe there is some middle ground. For instance, John Ross, is pretty much begging for a trade. Texans could trade Will Fuller and then acquire John Ross for cheap to replace him for this year.

17. Nimo

Nimo Member

18. zeeshan2

zeeshan2 Member

Sign of things to come?

19. Hank McDowell

Hank McDowell Member

Best trade we’ve made in years. All hail King Easterby!

20. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

2021 - 2026 DPOY - Eli Ankou