1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

World Series Has Lowest Ratings On Record, Is BLM To Blame?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Reeko, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

Dumb thread is dumb.

It's the pandemic. Sports just isn't a topic this year.

Also, not many people cared to watch the Dodgers/Rays. I think Dodgers/Stros would have had a much higher following since it would be the Jilted Lover vs the Villains

2. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Hotel business is also in the toilet this year. BLM strikes again!

edwardc, RayRay10, jiggyfly and 2 others like this.
  3. Reeko

Reeko Member

Right wingers claim BLM killed the NBA’s ratings. Why won’t they use the pandemic as a reasoning for low NBA ratings?

RayRay10 and malakas like this.
  4. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

While I think blaming any ratings decline in any league on BLM is freaking stupid, there were MLB teams that had BLM logos on the field this season.

[​IMG]

edwardc, RayRay10 and Reeko like this.
  5. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

Not nearly as in your face as the NBA was about it, but it was there a little. I think overall it just has a marginal effect on the viewership. Most people are just not as into sports anymore.

If it was the Astros vs Dodgers in the WS would have been a different story.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

B-Bob likes this.
  6. conquistador#11

The only time people talk about baseball is when they get on their hypocrisy horse and whine about Stros. Kershaw's demons also becomes a topic.
    I stop watching once the Stros or Rox are out of it. NFL and FIfa are the only things I continue to watch one my rooting team is done.

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. Reeko

Reeko Member

I stand corrected if there was a little bit of BLM and social justice messaging in MLB

I think it has a marginal, insignificant effect on ratings as well, but conservatives use it as the reason for the NBA’s low ratings like we aren’t in the midst of a pandemic.

RayRay10, IBTL and malakas like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

• The 2020 Stanley Cup Playoffs averaged 953,000 viewers across NBC's TV and digital platforms. That's a 38% decrease compared to last year.

• The final round of golf's U.S. Open averaged a 2.0 rating and 3.21 million viewers for NBC, the lowest rated and least-watched final round of the tournament ever and down 55% from 2019.

• The Preakness on NBC was down 56% in viewership from 2019.

• Even when there's good news, there's bad news. Last Saturday's Tennessee-Georgia game on CBS averaged a 3.1 rating and 5.77 million viewers, making it the highest-rated and most-watched game of the season. However, the rating was still 21% lower than CBS's Week 6 SEC game in 2019.

It was also the first game of the season to average at least a 3.0 rating. By this date in 2019, 15 college football games averaged at least a 3.0 ratings.

• Sunday's Game 1 of the ALCS on TBS drew 2.07 million viewers. Monday's Game 2 of the ALCS drew 1.88 million viewers. These are now the two least-watched LCS games ever. The viewership numbers for the two games are down 66% from the first two games of 2019's ALCS.

I just need to know from Trumpers, is BLM and “woke athletes” to blame for this too?

RayRay10 and CometsWin like this.
  9. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I guess this is it, right? I would have thoughts sports would have massive ratings this year once they came back -- an escape for people, and an event that looks more or less "normal." But it's been like the opposite, and I have to admit, I've had a lot less interest in sports. More interest in just getting out of the house and walking or hiking or whatever. Any excuse to get away from a screen, and maybe other people feel the same way. o_O

10. malakas

malakas Member

yeah after all this is over it will be interesting to see what sociologists have to say.

The long tested theory used to be bread and circus.

When in dark times find distractions.

But looks like when there is a pandemic that doesn't go away and people are losing their jobs distractions don't work so well.

Or is it a difference to the past because we live in the information age?

We are more easily to be distracted by the next headline and suffer from a shorter attention span but at the same time information about the real problem can't be burried with so many sources around.

I don't know. But I have zero interest in watching sports this year and zero enthusiasm about FA and the next season.
    Even if a big trade that changed the league happened my interest would only be momentary.

RayRay10 likes this.
  11. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

BLM is literally ruining everything.

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. B-Bob

[​IMG]

RayRay10, IBTL and No Worries like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Good thread, but I know @Reeko hates baseball so I'm 100% sure this was in bad faith. lol.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. B-Bob

You dumb sheeple don't see it? Simply reverse the entire league's acronym -- they are not fooling those of us with our eyes open to the BLM conspiracy to take over America.

15. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

I personally don't care to watch anyone get paid millions to throw or kick a ball around.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

17. Reeko

Reeko Member

[​IMG]

on the real tho, this thread was about calling out the bad faith arguments of Trumpers

RayRay10 likes this.
  18. Cold Hard

Cold Hard Member

Due to various factors (the pandemic, the high stakes of the 2020 elections, etc.), many people are struggling this year. Depression and other mental health issues have risen sharply this year. Job losses. Sports bars are closed or limited in many areas around the country, and some will never reopen. Fear and uncertainty in general. Even many folks who are still employed are tightening their financial belts. Gun sales have skyrocketed.

Sports just isn't that important for most people this year. Their focus lies elsewhere. Many people are on edge.

There's a decent possibility that the Super Bowl ratings will also be among the lowest on record.

Sports ratings in 2021 (post Super Bowl) and 2022 will be more interesting to watch, assuming things get back to near-normal (whether it's a "new" normal or the pre-Covid normal).

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  19. K LoLo

K LoLo Member

Honestly, I havent watched any professional sports since the Rockets were knocked out of the playoffs. Just haven't felt like it. And I'm not one of those "stand for the flag or you dont get my money" guys. I see a lot of them on facebook though, if that means anything.

I follwed the astros in the playoffs, but never turned it on. I'll put the Texans on the radio sometimes if I'm doing yard work or something. But other than that, I just think that I've been too busy for it.

Plus, for some reason, I'm not motivated by sports? Like, if I'm not supposed to go to a restaurant, why would I care about who scores the most points/runs? I'm trying to see my paw paw.

20. Xerobull

Xerobull You son of a b!tch! I'm in!

It means you should get off Facebook

RayRay10 and B-Bob like this.