1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Stephen Silas is a terrible hire

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by ashleyem, Oct 28, 2020.

?

Do you like the hire of Stephen Silas?

1. Yes

167 vote(s)
    73.9%
  2. No

59 vote(s)
    26.1%
  1. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Let’s get the fact straight.

1) Most of the teams he’s coached were losing teams. The best teams he’s coached (07 Warriors/16 Hornets) were mediocre at best.

2) He was not heavily coveted by any team other than the Rockets in the last few years.

3) He posted a 9-12 record as the interim head coach of the Hornets when Steve Clifford was away. That record tells me he is not ready yet.

4) Last year’s Mavs team was one of the worst defensive teams in the league.

5) The fact that Morey wanted him is a BIG RED FLAG. Last time Morey was in charge of a coaching search he picked a buffoon in McHale!

If we were a rebuilding team, I would be fine with giving a young coach a shot but you don’t gamble on an unproven coach when your goal is to win now, especially when a reputable coach like JVG was available!

#1 ashleyem, Oct 28, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 28, 2020
    hakeem94, LorneMalvo, Tankeio and 6 others like this.
  2. HardenVolumeOne

no team with james harden will be bad, harden took jb bickerstaff to the playoffs. silas cant be worse than him

3. Victorious

Victorious Member

It was the cheapest hire for tillman. Either him or Lucas. My hope is as his last move for Houston, Morey told Tillman to hire Lucas, knowing Tillman would go with the opposite and here we are :D

4. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

Get away from my man Tilman. I am glad he stepped in and called out Morey’s BS and righted the ship. Morey has been given too much leeway in the past.

5. Chamillionaire

Sometimes I can't tell if you're trolling or just have no idea what the hell is going on.

6. lionaire

lionaire Member

when i saw the title i instantly knew it was a trashleyem or chicken boy thread

Scarface, curbur, roslolian and 7 others like this.
  7. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

Your threads are so terrible.

8. MettaWorldPete

The sad thing is I think some points in the OP are legitimate concerns that would make a good discussion, and then op immediately ruins the thread with this. Damn.

Ramo$e and Chamillionaire like this.
  9. solodolo11

solodolo11 Member

lets get the facts straight and then twist them to make personal opinions/inferences :rolleyes::D

10. eliefor3

eliefor3 Member

I loooove van gundy but his lack of offensive imagination made it tough to run a offense with tmac and yao, two players that complemented each other well. What is he going to do with hard to fit combo of harden and westbrook

Remember when tmac would always get trapped and yao got fronted.

curbur, pippsux, D-rock and 1 other person like this.
  11. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I don't think this hire will make much of a difference. The team is fundamentally flawed (read WB can't shoot and you have no big men) and is going nowhere past the 2nd round.

Rockets are just a cash cow for Tillman. The more he can cut costs while keeping a product on the floor that keeps attention, he's fine. As long as he Harden he can do that. But eventually Harden is going to take a big sniff and realize what he is smelling is not roses.

clos4life, AXG, daywalker02 and 4 others like this.
  12. ashleyem

ashleyem Member

I was a fan of Morey during the first few years of his tenure here. I was admired by his courage to speak out against humanitarian issues. But he went overboard with his gimmick Moreyball. The man has never played competitive basketball in his life and he should stick with roster transaction and should have never had any control over how the team plays.

pippsux and Highlyrated like this.
  13. topfive

topfive CF OG

In that case, enjoy your Houston Hornets!

clos4life, D-rock and MettaWorldPete like this.
  14. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

if the checkbook was open would he be a good hire? no. you'd go for someone with championship experience like doc or Lue. and you bring in top notch assistants like Atkinson and joerger.

if you are looking at minimum salary candidates, Silas is in fact the best.

I don't know why OP blames him for the mavs defense when he was in charge of their #1 rates offense. he's a very good offensive coordinator. he's not a defensive coach and we will have to find a defensive assistant. he's also good at player management which is important with harden and rus. he's also good at player development which will help us through the upcoming rebuild. his in game management is unknown, but a major need for us as that's a crucial piece to playoff success.

15. MettaWorldPete

I strongly disagree but whatever. Calling Tilman my man” is just a whole different level and I have such a visceral reaction to that I’m not even interested in the op anymore even though I agree w some of it.

clos4life, Ramo$e, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  16. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

LOL of course Ashleyem is a Tilman fan.

jordnnnn, cbass, clos4life and 6 others like this.
  17. javal_lon

javal_lon Member

I'm sensing that you're hoping to post an " I told you so" thread in a few years ... Or you're gonna bump this outta nowhere instead...

18. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

I respect the effort

19. 18pbr

18pbr Member

Can the man coach his first game before we say its a bad hire?

20. ball king23

ball king23 Member

hold on now just wait a min we do not know who he is looking at as is assistant coaches and it is a good hire would you rather have JVG