1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Les Alexander didn't have to sell the Rockets but he did it for greed

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by tinman, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Then shouldn't you blame the guy who sold the team to Les? Using this logic, he should be responsible for Les' actions.

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Lucas sold Star Wars to Disney cause he wanted the money

3. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Well, I can't blame the guy who sold to Les because Les had a good run as owner. Les didn't pay his good fortune forward he cashed it in and ran. It's like Les knew who he was selling the team to, because before he bounced, he reupped Morey and Harden.

tinman likes this.
  4. tinman

Supporting Member

They can't prove anything you say is wrong because you spit facts

I never said Tilman is a good owner but Les sold the team cause he didn't want it anymore and he sold it to Tilman because he wanted to

This is the same as if I had my Porsche and I sold it to @Ziggy cause I felt like it over other buyers

5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Holy ****, and Elon Musk sold Zip2 and with that money created X.com and then merged X.com with Confinity and was fired because he sucks and only got rich because he still had shares. You make money by selling. Every billionaire in the world has sold something to get money back.

Sports teams are sold every 20-25 years on average. You're acting like Les was selfish for selling the Rockets for $2.2 billion when he didn't care about the team anymore and only paid $85 Million. He was smart, he knew that the market was at a peak for the time being and got out while he was still alive. Les is gone. Give it up. Tilman is our new problem. Leslie's worst move was selling to him over Michael Dell. I'll give you that.

6. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

You don't think Thomas sold the Rockets to Les because Les offered the most money? Of course he did. Les did the same with Tilman. That Les was more competent than Tilman as an owner should not be held against Les.

I mean I get where you're coming from; Les probably did know that Tilman was a punk. But there is no world in which an NBA franchise is sold or given to someone for any reason other than money - at least not in modern times, when the NBA is a money machine. So it's hard to hold that against Les.

split41 likes this.
  7. tinman

Supporting Member

People sell things cause of two things

1. They don't want it
    2. For money

Nobody forced Les to sell the team.

Nobody forced Lucas to sell Star Wars.

So Luke Skywalker milking space cows is what happens when you sell out

Jontro likes this.
  8. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

yep. Les treated the Rockets organization like a used car. He didn't care what happened next and now we all came back looking at chipped paint thinking it's okay we can buff that out. the following year we see a busted tail light.. no probs we can replace that.

next year we ain't got no engine because tilman too cheap to change the oil.

tinman likes this.
  9. treyk3

treyk3 Member

And Jar Jar Binks is what you get when you don't sell out.

Quit holding onto the past.

The future is now old man.

10. tinman

Supporting Member

This whole China mess with Morey would never happen if Les didn't pander to China so hard.

As far as I know, Jenni Bus could love Hong Kong all day and nobody in China would care.

The Lakers never pandered to China and they have fans. Same with every other team.

Les got rid of the Houston identity that Charlie Thomas instilled here.

raining threes likes this.
  11. MystikArkitect

My suspicion is that Les had to sell the team as some sort of agreement. He probably had some cases going on against him and selling the Rockets was probably part of that.

You don't just randomly sell one of the most lucrative businesses in the world just because. Especially if you dont have to.

12. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

I understand the capitalist view of this. Still, Les hung the city of houston out to dry for a couple more dollars he will never use in his remaining lifetime that should annoy you.

13. tinman

Supporting Member

Les was not a billionaire when he bought the Rockets.

The Rockets skyrocketed in value because Les was smart enough to milk the China angle with Yao Ming.
    Hence how fast he retired Yao's number and never traded him even if he had a broken foot.

Les sold bonds and gave student loans, he's a new york wall street guy.
    He wanted to be a billionaire and live in a scarface mansion in Florida. He's doing that now.
    Pretty obvious.

I'll bring up an example, Mark Cuban. He bought the Mavs cause he wanted to own an NBA team.
    Sure we hate the Mavs but there's no denying Cuban really loves his team.
    He's never going to sell it.

Les lives in Florida
    Cuban lives in Dallas

Plowman likes this.
  14. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's the real-world view of this. It is how all team owners in Les' position would have acted. It just seems silly to criticize Les for not giving someone ownership of a sports franchise out of the goodness of his heart when that never had a possiblity of happening... especially since you aren't holding any of the Rockets' previous owners (or any sports franchise owner) to that same standard

15. tinman

Supporting Member

Jar Jar Binks was in the prequels

killing off Han, the princess, and Luke is disney

16. tinman

Supporting Member

what NBA owners have sold recently?
    Sterling was forced to sell.

17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Made by George Lucas before he "sold out." Blockbuster movies are cookie cutter experiences made to sell merchandise. Lucas was a genius for getting out of the game if he didn't feel artistically encouraged.

Selling out is the move. It's not the 90s anymore. Put your indie song in commercials for the new Passat. Use your voice to narrate the mediocre Netflix movie. **** it. Les screwed us all by selling out and stealing the trophies but he should have done it. Morey screwed us all by fooling Tilman but he should have done it.

18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

The Jazz today.

The Kings.

The Nets.

The Bucks.

A lot of teams have sold in the past 10 years. The free market and the limited supply has allowed billionaires to get rich while the rest of us stay the same so we see more owners making their profits and getting out.

Jontro and 34to11 like this.
  19. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Not many, because it's a cash machine. This is why Tilman was willing to overpay because he knew he'd get it back - and then some - over time.

Look I get that Les wasn't ideal and didn't devote himself to the city... but that's not what team owners do. They buy teams to stroke their own egos and make even more money. Les was apparently all stroked-out (@Jontro ) and decided to just cash out so he could move on to something else that interested him.

20. tinman

Supporting Member

And some owners don't need to sell because they don't want to

Lakers
    Mavs
    Warriors
    Knicks
    Clippers
    etc