1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[WOJ] Philly in advanced talks to hire Morey

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by mikol13, Oct 28, 2020.

1. Juxtaposed Jolt

Imagine Morey with the long con of getting Harden to Philly. And it all started with that full page "thank you" to the city of Houston.

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  2. Mr. Space City

Defund Tilman Fertitta

3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Well without a non-compete or without a trade, maybe don't give some public quote about Morey wanting a year off to rest and relax. It was clearly bullshit at the time. Morey has now made Tilman look like a fool. Tilman "I step on their necks" Fertita just got his throat stepped on by a data scientist who thinks he's a playwright.

4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

AFAB

D-rock, Williamson and Mr. Space City like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

What is the difference between "President of basketball operations" and "general manager?"

Obviously, Morey is higher up in the pecking order than Brand, but what does Morey do that Brand doesn't? And what does Brand do that Morey might not?

6. treyk3

treyk3 Member

When ownership has money you can have a bunch of overpaid people doing similar **** and it doesn't matter. At the Rockets we require a coach who can also cook and clean.

D-rock likes this.
  7. Ankich

Ankich Member

It totally depends on the organization. For some of them it's just a ceremonial post for an ex-player and the GM calls all the shots. In this case I'm guessing Brand is going to handle a lot of the personal glad-handing while Morey crunches the numbers.

D-rock likes this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Maybe JH13 can get traded to a contender. Golden St.? Toronto? Miami? Denver?

9. Juxtaposed Jolt

That makes sense. Brand should be counting his lucky stars that he even still has a job within the org, with the stuff he's done over the past couple years.

KePoW and D-rock like this.
  10. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

Brand is gone or his role severely diminished. No way that Morey is going to buy off on any of the stupidity he proposes. Overall he's screwed that organization more than he has helped it. I am sure Brand is not going to like Morey calling the shots either.

D-rock likes this.
  11. Williamson

Williamson JOSH CHRISTOPHER ONLY FAN
    Supporting Member Supporting Member

Well, I'm bracing for some real dark days as a Rockets fan. But I will go ahead and make the Sixers my Eastern Conference team. And I am a little excited to see what Daryl can do in an organization that would allow him the freedom to tank if need be and to spend well into luxury tax territory if need be. This is going to be Morey finally uncuffed. I can't wait to see it.

And man, he's got some assets to work with. It really won't surprise me if he trades both Embiid and Simmons. Won't surprise me if Giannis is a Sixer next year. It's going to be something to watch.

Finally - I'm noticing a lot of you are taking the report that Elton Brand will remain in his role at face value. I'm assuming you're the same people who believed Morey really just wanted to spend more time with his family?

12. opticon

opticon Member

Does this mean Hartenstein to the Sixers?

BHannes2BHonest and Williamson like this.
  13. DreamShook

DreamShook Member

Nothing IMO. Brand is a figurehead. Remember when we were all wanting the Rockets to hire Hakeem or Battier as GM so people didn't see Morey as the guy making the deals?

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Speaking of Shane, if I'm Morey, he is the guy who replaces Brand as GM.

15. Williamson

Honestly, I suspect evil Tillman forced Morey to waive Hartenstein and that was actually the final straw that drove Morey out of Houston. Won't be surprised to see Hartenstein show up to replace Embiid in Philly.

16. Williamson

that would sure be awkward considering how close he and Brand are.

D-rock likes this.
  17. RHU525

RHU525 Member
    Supporting Member

Does this mean China now hates Philly instead of Houston?

JayGoogle likes this.
  18. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

Philadelphia Fans and Media are Short Tempered.

Remember what happened to Sam Hinkie when the 76ers were tanking on purpose.

Daryl Morey can easily get fired just like Colangelo.

76ers easily fires people President or GM.

Stephen A Smith literally comes on First Take literally criticizing Sam Hinkie every day on First Take for years until they Fired him.

19. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Hartenstein to the 76ers???

Williamson likes this.
  20. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The NBA kind of bullied Hinkie out of Philly, Philly fans loved him.

RudyTBag and ElPigto like this.