1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Dwayne Brown Was The First Domino

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by pgabriel, Oct 25, 2020.

1. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You can't blame Rick Smith for this mess. C'mon, This is 1,000% ownership.

#21 TEXNIFICENT, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
  2. pgabriel

pgabriel Educated Negro

I hated the name to. Oilers was a bad ass name. Bob McNair was a company. I think he ws a great man but a company man.

Bud Adams had an edge to him

IBTL likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The name would be great if they were kicking butt.

4. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

Mirrors his play calling on the field.

5. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

Picking Boselli wasn't about picking Boselli. It was about picking Gary Walker and Seth Payne. If we had taken Walker the Jags would've pulled back Payne and vice versa. The deal with Jacksonville was that if we took Boselli, they wouldn't pull back Walker or Payne. And we needed to fill a minimum amount of cap space in the expansion draft and taking Boselli helped that.

joshuaao, desihooper and King1 like this.
  6. raining threes

I agree with you.

They do the hiring and firing. They've hired 4 subpar GM's and counting.

TEXNIFICENT likes this.
  7. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

The "inmates" comment was not racist. It was a slip of the tongue. He said "prison" instead of "asylum". "Inmates running the asylum" is a common idiom. I'm liberal. I'm PC. I hate racists. But the outrage over that comment was one the dumbest freaking things ever. That was just people projecting something that wasn't there onto McNair and choosing to be offended by it.

FWIW, I don't think Duane Brown was offended. The Texans were on their way to 4-12 and I think he wanted out and was able to leverage the "controversy" into being traded.

desihooper, whag00, Astrodome and 3 others like this.
  8. mario_v

mario_v Member

I was for trading brown away at the time. He was 32 and coming off an quad injury, but according to PFF, he has only allowed 11 pressures to his qb, same as tunsil. The only difference is brown is making $11 million less than tunsil.

JayGoogle, Von Rafer and Marteen like this.
  9. Nook

Nook Member

Nope, he is very good for the Seahawks but he isn’t the best... but I will take Brown at 12 million a year over Tunsil at 22 million a year... I’ll take Brown and the #26 pick last year, what will be a top #5 pick this year and a top of the second rounder over Laremy Tunsil.... only to add insult to injury, Brown is the better player too!!

The Texans are a **** organization from top to bottom.

10. DonkeyMagic

DonkeyMagic Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

but at least the Texans have Tunsil locked up for the long term. Oh wait...

JayGoogle, King1 and Nook like this.
  11. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

I wish I could like this 5x.

I blame this more on Brown though. He got reasonably triggered over a quote taken out of context (a quote that was snitched btw from a former player who works for the league office now). It was a clear smear campaign from a guy who did not know Bob McNair at all and erroneously assumed he was a racist, **** owner who didn't care about his players.

But even after the context started to come out, Brown didn't change course, and he became a locker room cancer overnight. As ironic as it may sound, we needed to get him away from Deshaun ASAP (or at least out of his head, pushing ideas about how the Texans are a **** organization).

Still, it sucked to have him leave. Always loved him before all that nonsense and we could have 2 first round picks and a second if we hadn't traded him.

csj likes this.
  12. STR8Thugg

You rag on the Texans' name then mention your pick was the flood?

[​IMG]

DonkeyMagic and IBTL like this.
  13. IBTL

IBTL Member

haha fair point... in a battle for cornyness i believe texans would win also the logo for flood would look like that squirting emoji..so yeah ..

cleveland kept the browns name..

actually it should have been the oilers and still should

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Bob was pretty clear where he stood on the kneeling. Begging players to tell other players to stop. Never even taking a moment to ponder the why. It was just offensive to HIM. Im not saying he was a bad man - he was a guy from the old school and not all of those traits are constructive. You say slip of tongue? Ok. Considering the political climate it was awful timing to get tongue twisted. Its too bad he was misunderstood. While not racist like Jerry Richardson who was a "friend" and who he defended against what proved to be true allegations of racism - he had his moments and while you may or not may not believe Duane Brown he has made some allegations that would make you raise an eyebrow. I'll try not to hold McNairs party affiliation and his devout following of the current administration against him and just judge him by what comes out of his mouth publicly - its all you can do.

https://www.thestate.com/sports/nfl/article181508331.html

15. STR8Thugg

Yes, bc the Browns were allowed to keep their history.

Bud Adams was a petty douche and took the history with him. The Texans were not allowed to use the Oilers name. That would have obviously been the choice had it been allowed.

16. IBTL

IBTL Member

yes and bob lanier was a douche too...we lost the name to a pissing contest. cleveland did it lanier didnt. f that guy and all around a sour start. then to come in with "texans" is as low effort as it gets..

so yeah texas flood would have been corny too but texans?!?

what would have been your name choice?

17. DonnyMost

DonnyMost not wrong
    Supporting Member

This is it.

It's not player vs. player.

It's player + assets + compensation vs. player + assets + compensation.

If we had worked things out with Brown we would simply be a much, much better football team right now... even if Tunsil > Brown on pure skill as of today.

18. conquistador#11

I recall Brooks not resigning and saying ruh-roh. Then it comes out that BOB took the joy out of football. That's how they all felt, coming from a zone system to the avocadouggs system that b.o.b wanted to run. "Football is fun? You think football is fun?"
    After Brooks it was Jones who should still be a starter here.

cmoak1982 likes this.
  19. csj

csj Member

If only views like this were tolerated at the time. The problem with Duane Brown was Duane Brown. He was a greedy, selfish, dishonest douchebag that looked to exploit a cheap controversy for personal gain. It was plainly obvious when it was happening.

raining threes likes this.
  20. csj

csj Member

a) How do you know he "never took a moment to ponder the why"?
    b) It was more than "just offensive to HIM".
    c) If you're not saying he "was a bad man", then what are you saying? Why even bother?

Lots and lots of people otherwise supportive of the players' perspective did/do not want to see protests on the field in uniform. This was said over and over but was ignored. Owners of teams knew it, though, but once Trump got involved it became a proxy for something else. From the very beginning the league should have found alternative, constructive outlets like they are supporting now, but the Republican exploitation machine wasn't having that. McNair wasn't the problem.