1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Woj: JVG at the Forefront

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Reeko, Oct 21, 2020.

1. BamBam

BamBam Contributing Member

[​IMG]
    :eek:

JVG be like....”Catch me John”...

Go Rockets!!!

2. Dacamel

Dacamel Member

How low could that offer to Lucas have been? I mean here is your chance to coach again, but it is tillman. He probably offered Lucas a 50k salary and a free menu item at Mastros that he has to split with whomever he brings.

3. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Tilman is gonna wait to appoint the new coach until after the starting lineup has been introduced in our first regular season game. No point in paying a guy to coach a game when the game hasn't started yet! He's very smart, and I wish you all would just shut up and listen.

4. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

LOL, the lowball offer. I 100% believe that. And LOL that Lucas declined it. Good for him. If Lucas declined a lowball offer, image how embarrassing the offer to JVG might have been, if it was ever offered.

IF the above is true, creates a grim look at the HC situation.

HP3, D-rock, FrontRunner and 2 others like this.
  5. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Doesn’t seem plausible to me. I feel like John Lucas would jump on any offer to get his foot in the door as HC. Think about what that could do for his career moving forward. It’s worth the low ball x1000 in the long run.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

maybe he has too much loyalty to the Rockets and the lowball offer also indicated
    • he wouldn't get a good staff, so
    • since he already has a vital job with the team (and likely will survive the GM regime change),
    • and is heavily invested in the Rockets winning with Harden,
    • he did the right thing and passed,
    • forcing Tilman to keep looking.

BHannes2BHonest, HP3, saleem and 4 others like this.
  7. ElPigto

ElPigto Member
    Supporting Member

He is 66. Not saying that he can't work until he dies, but as far "his career moving forward", this would be a last hurrah for him as far as being a head coach.

D-rock and clos4life like this.
  8. T for 3

T for 3 Member

That’s a fair point. Still, I find it very hard to believe he would turn down the job if it was offered to him.

ElPigto likes this.
  9. riko

riko Member

Lucas might not want to give up his offseason work with pro athletes he does be it rehab (getting them off drugs) or personal coaching he does ? This guy is has plenty going on.

10. waytookrzy079

waytookrzy079 Member

Just my opinion, if the offer was slightly higher than his current salary, it wouldn’t be worth it. More responsibilities, more under the microscope, answering for your teams failures, accepting responsibility for their failures, etc. Not worth the slight pay bump.

I don’t know what Lucas makes now or what was offered, so just going based on my own assumptions.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yeah, I can see that. I guess I just imagine myself in his shoes sitting in the background for all those years, then he finds out his players want him to be the head coach. How do you say no to that in his position?

waytookrzy079 likes this.
  12. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Woj: JVG at the Foreskin

Rudyc281 likes this.
  13. RocketRed84

RocketRed84 Member

Lol. He's 67 years old. I don't think he's worried about career progression at this point in his life. He's had a terrible record as a head coach anyways.

14. T for 3

T for 3 Member

I guess I should have googled first. Didn't realize he'd had so many HC jobs.......

15. rockets13champs

I’m gonna repeat myself @The Cat

can any of you reporters ask rockets for a deadline for when the coach will be hired. We are tired of refreshing Twitter and clutchfans

16. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

shut up and refresh

17. rockets13champs

Tilmanisms lmfao

BHannes2BHonest likes this.
  18. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

Not everybody is ambitious to climb the career ladder. Some people would rather do what they love to do in the background.

T for 3, Rudyc281 and xtruroyaltyx like this.
  19. Deckard

Deckard Blade Runner
    Supporting Member

I can see that being the scenario. It is taking a while, with possible assistants getting snapped up.

treyk3 likes this.
  20. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Yea, we are beyond an acceptable period to hire. Morey quitting was clearly a curveball even though they are pretending it was a seamless transition that just so happened to culminate in the middle of a JVG interview. This honestly sucks.

Deuce, Deckard and HP3 like this.