1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-21: Power Foward and Center Positions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 22, 2020.

1. bmelo

bmelo Member

Give us Ibaka

Sanctity likes this.
  2. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

I think Olynyk is the perfect fit here. Being able to shoot from outside .... But probably out of the price range.

3. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

I'm okay with giving Bender a 2 way contract.

raining threes and D-rock like this.
  4. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

Trade Westbrook and House to Orlando for Vucevic, Isaac and Fournier (opted in).

Plowman likes this.
  5. Magicsaint

Magicsaint Member

Assuming Rockets get JVG, this would be a great lineup with an above-average C that can rebound and Rockets automatically get JVG type of defensive-minded team. It would also be great to see Harden at SG while Russ does most of the ball handling. I just hope the new coach brings back the mid-range game.

6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

I’m still holding out hope for JVG. I will be very disappointed if they hire Lucas. I like Lucas and want him to remain on the staff but not as HC.

Dacamel and rhee like this.
  7. D-rock

D-rock Member

Isaac is injured for most of next season.

Plus he is Magic's franchise player.

And Vuc is their best offensive player and only All Star.

Trade makes no sense for Orlando.

#87 D-rock, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    saleem likes this.
  8. saleem

I want Silas as the HC, because JVG is a micro manager. Lucas should stay on as a development coach. JVG should take up the role of the defensive coach for the Rockets.

9. saleem

Not much sense for Houston either.

D-rock likes this.
  10. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Silas is a close 2nd for me. I wouldn’t mind giving him his first shot as HC. We’ve seen success around the league with those kind of hires. We’ve also seen some major disappointments as well.

11. D-rock

D-rock Member

Not news to anyone but if trading with Magic, would rather trade EGo/House/McLemore for Aaron Gordon and Mo Bamba.

But the more obtainable player is Nerlens Noel. The MLE should do it.

McMahon refers to him as Capela-lite but in actuality, Capela is Noel-lite. Noel is more skilled offensively and more disruptive defensively than Capela.

Noel has opportunity to be starting 5 for Rockets, should appeal.

https://rocketswire.usatoday.com/20...dly-hoping-for-capela-lite-on-2020-21-roster/

And Noel was available last season for vet min. Smh

saleem likes this.
  12. Sanctity

Sanctity Member

Can you believe that Miami team? They got so many spare scorers that they don't play regularly that are tiers above what the Rockets have to roll with.

#92 Sanctity, Oct 24, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 24, 2020
    saleem and D-rock like this.
  13. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Mamadi Diakite : 6’9” PF/C - Virginia

Zeke Nnaji : 7’0” C - Arizona

Vernon Carey : 6’10” - Duke

From mock drafts, possibly available in 2nd round. Trade of Eric Gordon netting 2nd round pick (at least) + player(s).

Cheaper than using MLE. Then use MLE elsewhere.

fckbandwagons and saleem like this.
  14. BimaThug

BimaThug Resident Capologist
    Supporting Member

They can use the Taxpayer MLE on him, but that’s gonna push them (further) into the tax. Not that I care.

Using the Non-Taxpayer MLE causes issues with the apron/hard cap. It may not be feasible, regardless of your thoughts on ownership.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  15. saleem

Got it. Thanks. It all depends on Tilman again. I doubt if he will use the taxpayer MLE.

D-rock likes this.
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

By order of team/league demand; centers will go like this:

Excess of $12 million or more

Marc Gasol
    Aaron Baynes

Excess of $9 million or more
    Ibaka
    Paul Milsap

Everyone else on the list for Centers a distant $6 million to $7 million or less

Sorry Clutchfans members, about 15 teams see Aaron Baynes as the ideal Center in this Small-Ball era.
    The bidding war makes Baynes too rich for Rockets blood by about $10 million

DM'sVP and saleem like this.
  17. saleem

I don’t follow College much, but both Diakite and Carey are 1st round material. Zeke’s not bad, I think he will be a useful second rounder. Diakite’s jumper gives him the edge vs Carey, after seeing these highlights. I will leave the real scouting report to you, dear friend.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  18. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Need to make a correction my friend. Earlier I had Gasol listed too high and Ibaka too low:

Stats in 19/20 reg season:
    Player...........................mins.................3PA’s.............3P%..............rebs..............points........age.......
    Ibaka................................27.0...................3.3 / gm...........38.5%...............8.2.................15.4.........31 y/o....
    Gasol................................26.4...................3.4 / gm...........38.5%...............7.5...................6.3.........35 y/o....
    Aron Baynes.....................22.2...................4.0 / gm...........35%..................5.5.................11.5.........33 y/o....
    Milsap...............................24.3...................2.4 / gm...........43.5%...............5.7..................11.6........35 y/o....

Gasol production is fading fast.....I thought Baynes was around 27 years of age......thought Ibaka was older.

Now look at 36-minutes a game stats.

Player (per 36-minutes)....mins...............3PA’s...............3P%.................rebs...........points........
    Ibaka.......................................36 mins..............4.4..................38.5%...............11.0.............20.5..........
    Gasol.......................................36 mins.............4.6...................38.5%...............8.5..............10.3..........
    Baynes.....................................36 mins.............6.5...................35%..................9.1..............18.5.........
    Milsap.......................................36 mins.............3.6...................43.5%...............8.5..............17.2.........

Yes, I like several players (PF/Centers) that might slide back as far as mid 2nd round: bringing down the cost of
    each of the 4 players above when you consider Centers also going in the first round.

Player.......................3PM’s - 3PA’s.................3P%............
    Mamadi Diakite...............0.7 - 1.8.....................36%............
    Nnaji................................0.2 - 0.5.....................29.4%.........
    Vernon Carey..................4.7 - 7.0.....................38.1%.........
    add
    Nathan Knight.................0.9 - 3.0.....................30.5%.........

I believe all 4 of these college players to do well in the pro’s. All can probably guard positions 1-5; if not 2-5 positions.
    Younger, cheaper versions of Capela, Varejao, Joakim Noah, Jeramy Grant, Shooting better than Capela/Varejao/Noah.

Knight:

#98 ApacheWarrior, Oct 25, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 25, 2020
    jch1911 and saleem like this.
  19. saleem

Baynes' age gives me some hope for a short deal in Houston. He is pretty athletic for his age, and fits in well on both ends of the floor with his toughness and veteran experience. He can take pressure off Tucker with his longer height. The new GM Stone needs to convince Tilman to spend money on role players for extra depth. I doubt if Tilman will agree to that.... Younger versions of 4's or 5's are a must.

D-rock and ApacheWarrior like this.
  20. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

I like Diakite. But I don’t think he gets past 36 (early 2nd round). Has some Jeramy Grant-Shawn Kemp abilities.
    Much better shooter than Shawn Kemp. At times Diakite looks like Durant near the rim. IMO.

D-rock likes this.