1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who inherits the Republican Party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 23, 2020.

1. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Dan Crenshaw is a huge disappointment. He could have been the voice of reason and ethics for the GOP with his background and lack of voting record, but he completely sold out to become a spinless Trump toadie.

2. Dubious

Politics is about money. The GOP backers supported the nativist as long as they were getting elected so they could exploit the power. As an opposition party they are going to just look like whining obstructionist. The oligarchs will first try to buy Democratic power, then their focus groups will try to identify a new way to win, probably something like George Bush's compassionate conservatism.

What they really have to do is back reasonable candidates in GOP primaries and build from there. The nativist would have a hard time competing without their money. Those poor white trash driving around in Trump pickup trucks cannot buy an election.

No Worries likes this.
  3. Roscoe Arbuckle

I disagree. I appreciate your opinion, but Dan Crenshaw is the dude I want to lead.

4. Dubious

Show me one time he chose to lead, show me one time he disagreed with some of the insane s*** Donald Trump says. Show me legislation that he has sponsored.

The that misrepresents his positions in his campaign ads.

5. cml750

cml750 Member

I have a very strong feeling this thread will not age very well. Something tells me another thread will need to be started about the other party. That so many think the election is already won will make the reactions priceless.

6. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

I doubt anyone think that way. He has a 1 in 8 chances. But when you ask people, they think it is closer to a 1 in 2 or 3 chances. 2016 hangover effect.

B-Bob likes this.
  7. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

My biggest issue with Crenshaw is that he wears that eye patch as a prop. What does that say about your decision making?

You could easily market yourself as a war hero,.and do it better with your Captain America eye on full display to remind Americans everyday what sacrifices you've made for your country, and that we can all do our part.

On top of that, he's got to get off the Trump train.

8. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

[
    Lol I'll take the under on that.

You guys are deluding yourselves if you think the QAnon autocratic white supremacist party is going to be reborn anew once Grima Wormtrump is ejected from the palace.

They are who we thought they were.

9. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

I think it’s going to be closer than people think. A 1 in 8 chance for Trump winning again is crazy talk. It is closer to 1 in 2 or 3 for both candidates IMO

10. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

1 in 8 is according to current state and national polls.

People on both sides are overcompensating polls toward 2016. People forgot that polls were wrong in 2012 as well, toward the other side (Obama) by about 3-4 points. Polls can be wrong, either way. Or it can be right.

For a 1 in 2 chance, polls have to be wrong by 3-4 pts toward Trump + Trump close the gap by another 3-4 points.

11. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Carlson, albeit for his own stated rhetorical, piece of **** reasons, is a registered Democrat. Separately considering how many media jobs this guy has fallen into, like replacing Bill Moyers on PBS, he's probably making way too much money saying exactly what he wants and not actually being accountable to anyone.

Nook likes this.
  12. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Yes, and like postwar Germany or Japan, if they just shut the **** up and kind of copy us for a couple of decades we'll all be better off.

Nook likes this.
  13. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If Biden loses there will be a lot of recriminations in the Democratic party. My own guess is that by 2022 the Progressives will likely gain the upper hand and there will be a more Progressives along with a Progressive at the top of the ticket in 2024.

If Biden wins there will also be division in the party. The Biden coalition goes from Never Trumper Republicans to AOC type Progressives. It is only held together because of Trump. Once he's gone and especially if the Democrats take they Senate there will be divisions about how to move forward with health care reform, the Green New Deal, taxes and likely a fight on stacking the USSC.

Nook, DaDakota and Two Sandwiches like this.
  14. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

selective reading there. Many of us acknowledge that trump can again win the electoral college, or at least make it close enough that he and Barr can obstruct and gaslight their way to remaining in power. That and Trump’s disturbing anti-democracy behavior are why people like me and mrs B-Bob have been so involved in this election - like never before - at a financial and voluntary level.

15. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

The thing is this, in this scenario, the GOP loses because it turns out that Trumpism loses elections.

I think it's not farfetched at all to think that GOP candidates are going to pander to a group that doesn't give them power. That's all they are about, that's all most politicians are about. Racist platform stances can change, hell, the Democrats are a great example of that. Once it became clear to them that they could win more elections by not being racist they flipped. Parties can change drastically over the years.

In this scenario, it's clear that being divisive on race and Trumpism loses them elections. The country demographically is not changing towards their benefit, it's the opposite. They already tried courting hispanic voters in 2016 until Trump came along. If the result is a landslide it's hard for me to see them trotting out the same old platform that they've been losing the country with.

It's not about just one loss, if it were, then yeah, there's no chance they change...but it's been years and years of losing. The only reason they have power now is because of the EC and underhanded tactics. If the Democrats gain power this year, if they gain power in Texas, it spells trouble for them for years.

We've been talking about the GOP trying to restructure itself for years now. We even see Trump's GOP try to attract more minority voters. The truth is that he has. Not nearly enough for it to matter but we know it's not Trump's idea to court more black and hispanic voters, that's the people behind him, and no doubt that continues in 2022-24.

They simply can't win many general elections appealing only to white Christians anymore, they can only do that by changing the rules and making it harder for everyone to vote. How many years has the GOP candidate lost the popular vote? If this is a blowout and I suspect it'll be a very strong victory, their only path to power again is to change. Doubling down assures future losses, the next generations are more liberal and less white.

Dubious likes this.
  16. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

Just a spic with a service job, as per childhood n-bomb dropper FattyFatBastard.

Nook likes this.
  17. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

Whenever IKE comes back to run the party, then most of us will get on board.....Ike would have imprisoned Trump.

DD

Deckard likes this.
  18. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This presumes they want to keep and obtain power by democratic means, and there's just normal political give and take, where the GOP consents to be held accountable by voters.

That's pretty naive Literally every single move for close to a decade now at all levels has been in the opposite direction.

The GOPs default mode now is to circumvent the voters, by vote suppression, appointing hack judges, ignoring the will of the people, using white terrorist cells to intimidate - the norm busting gets worse and worse. They don't even acknowledge reality, let alone rules.

That's why you get a *historic* defeat in the 2018 House elections, how does the GOP respond? By sending QAnon sociopath candidates to congress.

Dubious, malakas and Hakeemtheking like this.
  19. calurker

calurker Contributing Member

But are you an optician? If not, I might also listen to what you have to say if you’re an X-ray tech, but preferably at Texas Children’s.

malakas and Nook like this.
  20. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

damn, you only got an undergrad degree?

Dubious likes this.