1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Random Houston Rocket Trade Ideas 2019-20

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Shark44, Jul 24, 2019.

1. rockets13champs

I would do it Bc contract clears in 1 year incase u wanna trade harden and russ

2. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Not really. Derozan has a player option for 27M plus. EG is 14 M plus. I doubt if Derozen will agree to a pay cut, despite being a good friend of Harden.

D-rock likes this.
  3. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I don't think Detroit fits that mold anymore. They traded Drummond for nothing and are rumoured to be looking for deals for Blake and Rose. Other than that, their key players are Kennard, Bruce Brown, Doumbouya, Wood. The Drummond trade tells me they're finally accepting their fate and will begin to tank properly. Honestly I see them doing whatever it takes to pay Wood cause he's the only good thing they have. They're probably the sorriest team in the league by far.

D-rock and steddinotayto like this.
  4. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Drummond is not an ideal center in today's NBA anymore and Detroit didn't want to have to give him an extension to be said non-ideal center. That's why they made that trade--to undo all of the bad calls Joe Dumars and then SVG had made. Plus, you don't hire a Dwayne Casey coming off of a COTY award in Toronto to be the steward of a rebuild. You hire him to get your team to the playoffs. The Pistons can have both Gordon and a re-signed Wood because they are projected to have about $37 million in capspace once those player holds come off the table.

Wood
    Griffin
    Whoever they want to roll out at SF
    Gordon
    Rose

The only thing that realistically stops that team from making the playoffs in the East are injuries. Could they parlay that $37 million in capspace to re-sign Wood and a free agent SG? Looking at this list:

https://www.spotrac.com/nba/free-agents/guard/

They can severely overpay (because it's Detroit) Bogdanovic or VanVleet to be their starting SG and hopes that either player continues to become better or take a $16 million a year risk on Gordon who does have a more consistent body of work?

5. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I have a couple interesting hypothetical scenarios based on what NBASupes (Legit Hawks insider) and BraBra (Has been on the money since he was JaMorantHive) have insinuated. My hypotheticals all revolve on a couple of unlikely scenarios mainly Tillman willing to go over the tax. I know completley unlikely but fun to dream. It also involves multiple sign and trades which means players have to agree and teams willing to be hard capped (which I believe every owner would be ok with after COVID lol)

Scenario 1:
    Based on the fact that NBASupes has stated that LAC are shopping Paul George and have offered him to Atlanta for their picks and to finance Paul/Horford. Harrell per reports is also looking to leave LAC.

4Team trade between Rox/76ers/Thunder/LAC

Rox out: Gordon/Covington (combined can take in salary up to 36 million)/
    Rox in: Paul George

Clippers out: George/Harrell (SnT at 13 million)/Zubac/Beverly
    Clippers in: CP3/Horford/Covington/76ers FRP

Thunder out: CP3
    Thunder in: Zubac/Beverley

76ers out: Horford/FRP
    76ers in: Gordon/Harrell

Follow up signings

TP-MLE: Favors
    Vet Min: Green
    Vet Min: Pray for Galloway
    Vet Min: Hopeful Cabocolo
    Vet Min: Roberson

Reasoning:

Rockets: We swing for a true big 3 in Westbrook/Harden/George. George is a suped up/elite version of what Gordon and RoCo are supposed to be. Not to mention there should be no chemistry issues since these guys are tight with one another. You follow this up with Favors to add size and elite level defense in post/switchability who can pass and rim run with the best of them.

Westbrook/(Rivers or Galloway depending on who's willing to stay on for vet min; likely neither)
    Harden/McLemore
    George/House
    Tucker/Green
    Favors

The bench is incredibly thin but that is a star studded starting 5 with great spacing potential.

Clippers: Depending on if you believe the rumors about PG13 leaving or not the Clippers definitely need someone to help create for them. With this trade you greatly upgrade the point guard and center position. You lose out on Harrell but he's likely a lock to leave anyways. The step down from George to Covington is not negliglbe but when you consider the upgrades everywhere else and the fact that RoCo is an elite 3D guy this trade is worth it IMO.

Paul/Williams
    RoCo/Shamet
    Leonard/Harkless (resigned)
    Morris (resigned)
    Horford/Jam Green/Kabongolo

Thunder: Out of the contract for Paul. Limited interest around the league but they end up with a promising big man and a role player who can likely get you a future late first

76ers: IMO they make out like bandits. They get rid of the fit issues surrounding Horford/Harris/Embiid. They also net negative on salary in this deal. Harrell has raport with Doc and was a 6 WAR big in this last season. Gordon had an injury riddled season last year but prior to that was always one of the premier 3D guys at his spot. They likely need to give more in this deal since the end result is

Simmons/Thybulle/Milton
    Gordon/Korkmaz
    Richardson/Smith
    Harris/Scott
    Embiid/Harrell

Scenario 2:

3 Team Trade: HOU/IND/DET

Rox out: Gordon
    Rox in: Wood SNT 9.3million/ Holiday 5.7 million/Galloway 2.3 million

Det out: SnT Wood and Galloway (Should they express interest in leaving)
    Det in: McDermott/2nd round picks

Ind in: Gordon
    Ind out: Holiday SnT/McDermott/Resigned cheap MLE contract for 400K trade filler

Follow up signings:
    TP-MLE: Favors
    Vet min/BAE: Galloway if not included in trade
    Vet min: Green
    Vet min: Caboclo
    Hopefully declined option: Rivers

Reasoning:

Rockets: I hate for the Rockets to give up early on Gordon. His Carmelo rating the year before this one was fantastic. Its hard to assess his true value when he was riddled with injuries this year + the bubble. I honestly think if given a chance he can rehab some of his trade value but regardless this trade nets you a big with potential to be a small ball 5/4. It also supplies you with a very underrated wing in Holiday. He can truly guard 1-4 and hits at least league average at decent volume from 3. This last year he hit 40% and can pull up, shoot off catches, and shoot on the move. He has limited playmaking but he is as good of a 3/D guy you can get. Galloway is a personal favorite of mine. He's small but incredibly lanky at 6'10". Him and Holiday are great potential running mates for whenever either of our superstar sits. WIth dropping Gordon for 3 rotational players and then using a TPMLE you can run a team truly 10 deep. This team can pair Harden with guys like Galloway/RoCo/Tucker/Favors and Westbrook with Holiday/House/Wood/Green.

Westbrook/Galloway/Clemons (Rivers opting out)
    Harden/Holiday/Nwaba
    RoCo/House
    Wood/Tucker
    Favors/Green/Caboclo

Detroit: Only does this if they know they lose Wood no matter what. THey pick up a possible replacement for Kennard with dynamite shooting and second.

Indiana: 2 backups (1 of whom is a free agent) for a potential starter, with Indiana ties) for whenever they lose Oladipo

Scenario 3:

The third scenario involves a SnT of Ibaka (14 million for 3 years), Wood (9.3 million for 4), Galloway (BAE) for Gordon/Clemons/Resigned Scrub for saraly matching/and a FRP. But I can't figure out which team out there would take on Gordon yet so haven't ran all the numbers/scenarios yet. Possibly NYK/CHA/Minny for James Johnson to TOR.

Scenario 4:

Run it back but add Favors and consider Galloway should Rivers leave (If you can't tell I'm a fan of those 2 guys)

Westbrook/Rivers or Galloway/Clemons
    Harden/Gordon/Nwaba
    RoCo/House
    Tucker/Green
    Favors

Deuce, Landsdale and fckbandwagons like this.
  6. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

I personally would want Ingles and O'Neale who is a quality 3D guy. But trolling the Jazz fan sites make it seem like Ingles is half in half out the door. He has personal family stuff going on and the bubble/COVID impacted him greatly. The emotional toll of the pandemic must be harder on these international guys. Suffice it to say should Ingles be traded I would question his desire to stay in an organization he doesn't have roots in. I'd shy away from him personally based on that alone.

7. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

Interesting scenario especially since Rose and Gordon have played AAU together. It also would free us up to use the full NT-MLE on a couple of guys. My suggestion would be Favors/Holiday or even Ibaka

Tristan_fiore likes this.
  8. BallaDoc

BallaDoc Member

They also have Beasley at the SG spot as a RFA who should be retained. Doesn't make much sense tying up so much cap in a spot they already have a starter in.

D-rock likes this.
  9. jb86

jb86 Member

How much would the luxury tax be if we paid Derozan that 27M + salary. I know we have at least 15Ms to use in free agency this off season. Not to mention the MLE, BAE and the trade exception. We can make this happen if he came as a free agent and we trade Eric Gordon for a good 1st round pick to a sorry team.

10. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

6’10 + players who can shoot, rebound and block shots.

Wood
    Ibaka
    Bamba
    Bryant
    M.Gasol
    Dieng

Hard time seeing us land any of them, we would also have to depart from the switch everything D.

Our tax payer MLE offer might be competitive for Marc, but not a chance in hell for Ibaka or Wood.

I dont think anybody wants Gordon, if we attached out 1st to him we might be able to get Dieng. House + 1st might land Bamba or Bryant but then we’d have a hole in our depth at the 3.

trading our 2022 1st also seems incredibly sketchy and blocks us from rebuilding until Harden expires.

We’re pretty screwed.

11. Corrosion

Corrosion Member

This isn't the NFL .... the NBA CBA doesn't allow a player to "give money back".

Once those contracts are signed , they are set in stone for the duration.

The only remedy to the cap hit is the stretch provision .... and that just drags it out.

D-rock and saleem like this.
  12. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Not sure if the Pistons would be interested and I think we would have to convince Wood to sign in Houston but if they do...maybe they can do a sign and trade:

HOU: Christian Wood

DET: Eric Gordon and Danuel House

D-rock likes this.
  13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Scenario #1 - Rockets should trade Gordon, House, McLemore, Tucker and/or even Westbrook before even thinking of trading RoCo.

Scenario #2 - no brainer

Scenario #3 - TBD, no details

Scenario #4 - there should be better options than this

14. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

I don’t understand RoCo being in trades. To me he’s the second most important player on this team after Harden. Morey saw his value and brought him back. The sad part is that now that Morey is gone, I have no idea what will happen. When you have a 20 something yr old and a lawyer playing GM, it’s going to be scary and uncertain times.

ApacheWarrior, fattz and D-rock like this.
  15. Landsdale

Landsdale Member

Nice work. I like some of those scenarios. Hard to pull off, but why not dream. Would definitely pick Ibaka over Favors, but he probably wouldn't take the mle

16. Vivi

Vivi Member

I don't really Gordon being traded at this point...now, everything is always possible and i'm definitely forgetting some potential players/contracts that would make sense for us and the other team/s, but i have a feeling it might be really hard to find a team willing to take on EG while sending us a player good enough to make us not lose too much production in the swap, whether it's in the same spot or in another one.

Also, Morey is gone and i'm scared there's no one left in this organization able to handle trades well enough...and then, there the covid issue too, i imagine more teams will look to keep their salaries as low as possible so, options might be even more limited outside of moves involving stars.

D-rock likes this.
  17. dmoneybangbang

LaMarcus Aldridge is 35 and 1 year left @ $24 million. Wouldn't be my top choice, but an interesting one.

baller4life315 likes this.
  18. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Maybe he’s a buyout candidate if the Spurs suck enough next season. Although I could see him going to LA or back to Portland before coming to Houston.

baller4life315 likes this.
  19. Le$$

Le$$ Member

He is probably washed after shoulder injury. Probably wont be the same. I think you need to go for someone like Drummond, and stop playing so much small ball. Get back to defense and post ups. Let james hit 2's and drive for foul shots.

20. rockets13champs

Ok so 2022 draft pick should not be traded at all in terms of trade value that top 8 draft pick is worth 2 firsts. I would wait to tank untill 2022. So that’s why it 100% makes sense to trade harden and Russ NEXT summer. Because we still own our 2022 pick. U tank that year and land a top 4 prospect u can afford to stay mediocre/ bottom playoff team and build thru free agency and scraps for a couple years as that prospect ages from 18-22 or 17-21. Up until we get our picks again.