1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020-21: Power Foward and Center Positions

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Rocket River, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Yes I would. The clippers would say no.

joshuaao, AceOfSpades, Deuce and 5 others like this.
  2. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Your probably right, but that is not bad...maybe one more sweetner

3. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

UFA Forwards and Centers in no particular order.

Forwards:
    Stanley Johnson
    Danilo Gallinari
    Evan Turner
    Marcus Morris
    Markieff Morris
    John Henson
    Maurice Harkless
    Solomon Hill
    Davis Bertans (too expensive)
    Jae Crowder
    Montrezl Harrell (probably staying in LA)
    Jae Crowder
    Wilson Chandler
    Juan Hernangomez
    Demarre Carrol

Centers:
    Paul Milsap
    Serge Ibaka
    Marc Gasol
    Myers Leonard
    Aaron Baynes
    Alex Len
    Nerlens Noel
    Jahil Okafor
    Christian Wood
    Jeff Green

4. D-rock

D-rock Member

7'0 Dragan Bender has a better 3ball and can be signed to 2 way.

Rocket River and treyk3 like this.
  5. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Ibaka is the ideal 5 for us. Even though he's older, he has the size, shooting touch, and defense that we need. Doesn't hurt that it'd also be a mini OKC reunion. He seemed somewhat open to it jokingly in his cooking show interview with KD.

Don't know how realistic it'd be to get him tho.

joshuaao and bmelo like this.
  6. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

Does he rebound and protect the rim?

7. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

He would be a good fit, despite his age. Whether he is getable is hard to say. I vaguely recall a statement from Bima saying that the Rockets might not be able to use the MLE because of their cap situation, I might be wrong.
    @BimaThug

8. saleem

No.

9. saleem

I do, after seeing PG's miserable playoff performance. He is slowing down.

10. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, JVG spoke of such in a podcast I posted recently. It was an interview before the restart. Apparently JVG is a fan of
    Nick Nurse because he mentioned him often.

Van Grundy was asked how would he coach today? He said he would play a great deal of 1-3-1 zone defense with big Center being the 1 by the rim. Hinted that the Raptors do that with Nick Nurse. Teams guard against the “Short Porch” corner 3’s. 1-3-1 zone defense allows the corner 3’s to be open to a greater extent imo. The big center is not going to abandon the area near the rim to contest the corner 3.
    Leaves open spots in the defense that can be exploited; as with all defensive zones.

Caboclo could be used and maximized in that role. Would JVG accept a Bruno type as his center? Or more bulk?
    Yes, AD is a problem. He gets in the interior of a defense vs players an inch or 2 smaller than him and takes the
    defender to the perimeter if they are an inch or two taller than him. Success with either.

I complain about the Rockets depending on 4 players 6’3” (McLemore/ WB/ Rivers/ Eric Gordon) but all in all the
    Rockets defense was not the problem (holding the Lakers to less points than Blazers/Nuggets per game). It was
    the our offense where short guys could not find enough space to get off a shot. Having more 6’7”players helps both
    our defense and offense. 4 guys 6’3” plus Harden (6’5”) and two guys added to that group (Clemons/Frazier)
    is a waste of space and 7 players undersized in height. Losing House compounded the situation.

——————————————————————————————————————————
    Losing Rivers (opting out) & Eric Gordon/McLemore (trade) doesn’t hurt me.
    In the Gordon trade get another backup PG and SF. Hopefully free up money to add Gerald Green & Jeff Green
    Gerald Green ready to join the team......added to David Nwaba.
    Use the MLE or partial to get the center in free agency. JaVale MeGee type, John Henson. Good x18 mins per game.

Run it back, again.

#70 ApacheWarrior, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    D-rock, JoeBarelyCares and saleem like this.
  11. saleem

Agree, on your 1-3-1 analysis. We need a lot of luck to get a JaVale type. Bruno can’t cut it. He isn’t physical strong and more importantly he is mentally weak. His basketball IQ isn’t up to par either. He lacks explosive speed and doesn’t work hard. He should be cut from the team.

ApacheWarrior likes this.
  12. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Yes, JaVale is a player option.

And I’m talking Caboclo as the center staying near the rim of a 1-3-1 zone. Allows Bruno to just blocks shots near the rim.

Hides many of the weaknesses you mention. Play the Tyson Chandler role on the Dallas Mavs championship team.
    But I believe the Mavs ran a 2-3 zone back then. Similar though, center patrols area in front of rim.

D-rock likes this.
  13. saleem

I get your point about utilizing Bruno, but he can and will be dunked on with force. Bruno gets demoralized easily. This will also affect his jump shot. He doesn't bring even a trace of intimidation.

14. D-rock

D-rock Member

Harty may rebound but he does not protect the rim either.

Bender is more switchable and possess guard skills like passing and creating for himself.

Rather have guy with more upside and skill set that better fits team.

If we can only choose 1 of them, I choose Dragan Bender.

15. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would play Bruno as one of the "3" in a 1-3-1 zone because his strength is closing out and being a weakside blocker.

7'7 wingspan allows him to attack close outs very effectively.

I would play Bamba or Barnes as the bottom "1".

RoCo would play the "nail" or center of the "3" because he has the instinctive ability to slide to ball and disrupt.

#75 D-rock, Oct 23, 2020
  16. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

Possibly, but in essence the center doesn’t contest fully to the corner 3. Wing defender of that line of 3 defenders is basically
    guarding both the corner 3 and above the break 3. Those two players could play “Hot Potato” between each other
    until one or the other gets an open shot. Too much area for that wing/ perimeter defender to cover both or run back
    and forth.

If defender (1 in the 1-3-1 zone near the 3-pt line straight away) rotates to above the break 3-point shooter to help
    out on those two playing hot potato......leaves a player like Harden open on the weak side above the break. So
    defender by free throw line (in the 3 player line in the 1-3-1 zone) may have to pop out and rotate to that above the
    break 3-pt shooter involved in that hot potato exchange. Leaves hole in the middle for a player to slip in.

So yeah Caboclo could be that player defending near the free throw line which may have to rotate to perimeter.
    But would that 7’7” wingspan be better served under the rim and/or contesting an offensive player slipping into the
    hole near the free throw line once that defender leaves to help out on the perimeter.

If every zone defender stays in their zone......there are holes to exploit.
    If the the zone defense contorts......leaves holes to exploit.

Good discussion.....I like your thinking out of the box.

D-rock likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

..................................................................O <— rim

#.................................................................X (1)............................................................#

.............X....................................................X.................................................X(3)

........#

.....................................................X (1).............................................................#

..........................................# (Harden)

One can see visually how the wing defender has to guard two players on one side of the court once Harden swings
    the ball to weak side. They play hot potato between each other (corner 3 & above the break 3). If Center rotates to
    corner 3, then rim is open or like you said Bruno moves from free throw line (defender in 3 player line) to near rim.

Defenders.......X
    .Offense..........#
    Rim.................O

#77 ApacheWarrior, Oct 23, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  18. D-rock

D-rock Member

I would play Harden closer to the rim as one of the "3" and let PG (Russ?) play the top "1".

1-3-1 zone should allow Harden to rest if he plays one of the "3" on defense instead of running around the arc as top "1" defender.

19. DM'sVP

DM'sVP Member

The Rockets need a center, not a 7 foot wannabe guard.

#79 DM'sVP, Oct 23, 2020
  20. D-rock

D-rock Member

7 footer needs to be switchable and/or can shoot 3ball.

It's about fit especially if Lucas is hired, system not changing.