1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Was Leslie "Scott Fosters" Stahl being unfair to Trump?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Carl Herrera, Oct 22, 2020.

1. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

That's your definition of true!!

foh likes this.
  2. thejav

thejav Member

Locker up!!

Invisible Fan likes this.
  3. Newlin

Newlin Member

Leslie Stahl is probably a Democratic, just like Dr. Fauci.

Damn Democrats are everywhere.

Dubious, Invisible Fan and Blatz like this.
  4. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Even the Pope.

Deckard and Dubious like this.
  5. foh

foh Member

True. My qualm was more in line with what @JuanValdez is saying where the interviewer should combat Trump with facts instead of petty non substantiated accusations because she is called upon to elucidate the topics for viewers instead of making Trump cry. She should come with a stack of papers containing stats/facts like the Axios dude OP mentioned before did (Jonathan Swan).

6. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

Two thoughts.

1. I agree she could have responded in a more specific and data-driven way. We might be better informed if she get Trump to respond to a question like that (fat chance). But she shouldn't be 'combating' Trump. Her job is to get him to say stuff that will help educate us.

2. If this hasn't occurred to folks already: Trump knew he was going to walk out of that interview before he walked into it. It was a stunt that he planned to do to push this narrative that the media doesn't treat him fairly. We have seen him do it a couple times before -- with Pelosi when she wouldn't give in, and most prominently with North Korea. Maybe he would called it off if Stahl was giving him a sweetheart interview, but otherwise it wasn't going to matter what questions she asked. So debating whether her question was couched or formulated the right way is a bit beside the point.

Deckard, Lar, London'sBurning and 8 others like this.
  7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Am watching the broadcast right now and it is very combative. CBS is doing a fact check on it with video countering some of the stuff Trump is saying

8. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

With the broadcast they have shots focusing on Stahl’s and Trump’s face. You can really see Trump seething and Stahl making eye rolls.

jiggyfly likes this.
  9. R0ckets03

R0ckets03 Contributing Member

What a snowflaky lil b****

Jimmy Chase likes this.
  10. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

CBS did fact check joe Biden and pointed out that some of his numbers don’t add up. The Biden campaign issued a retraction regarding the cost of providing free university education following the interview

11. rocketsjudoka

Supporting Member

O’Donnell is going after Kamala Harris pretty hard on how liberal she might be.

12. Reeko

Reeko Member

Trumpers really view this crybaby b*tch as a leader and alpha male

all this fool does is cry and whine

always talking about how somebody is being mean to him or is “nasty”...Are u the president, or are u 12?

grow up, loser

13. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I agree with JuanV. The walkout was pre-planned. And will only play to the 35% of the country that watches Pro Wrestling and votes for him.

Where does he get the idea this crap will play bigly?

14. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

There was also the whole Pence was excited to attend a football game only to be shocked that a player took a knee and then walked out. The gullible cult loves to drink it up.

15. Air Langhi

Air Langhi Contributing Member

60 minutes has gone soft. What happened to mike wallace. Trump literally lies about everything.

adoo likes this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

17. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

18. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

That’s the effect but I don’t know if it’s planned or it’s just his learned behavior. He has a pattern of kissing up and when that doesn’t work, attack.
    I don’t believe it’s planned. He lacks self control. He kisses up to her privately (telling her the truth, inner secret stuff - I attack the media because I need to discredit you) and when she ask him directly about it, he losses control. He expected her to return the favor. He doesn’t have self control.

Thats my view and it certainly can be wrong.

If he did plan this, then:
    A- He is so delusional how this will help him. This will turn people away from him.

B- He is not delusional, he knows this doesn’t help him with independent but he doesn’t care about that - he’s putting all of his bet into turning out his base.

#58 Amiga, Oct 26, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2020
    jiggyfly likes this.
  19. JuanValdez

JuanValdez Contributing Member

His gaslighting practices do seem like second nature to him. I don't think he consciously thinks about the particular gambits he uses any more than James Harden thinks about the particular dribbles he'll make to get through a crowd of defenders. But I expect he knows exactly why its effective for him.

I can't prove he pre-planned the walkout, but I personally feel pretty convinced about it. While it could be his natural gaslighting instinct to seize upon this power move in the moment, the other ancillary stuff around the episode -- Pence also doing an interview, releasing his own footage of the interview in contravention of his agreement with the show -- makes me think it was planned. Trump usually looks like he simply reacts in an animalistic way to stimuli, but he's given us enough glimpses of his deeper understanding that we should know he is mostly operating in a pretty deliberate way. He's not an animal and he's not at all stupid; he's a decently smart guy who is evil and who is broken, but pursues his goals with some deliberation and effectiveness.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  20. mdrowe00

mdrowe00 Member

...he might have gotten the general idea that his theatrics are pretty darn effective from the fact that he somehow got elected President with about the same basic tactic.

...and I'm never going to believe he was even trying (let alone expecting) to win....

The saying, I believe, is..."...Fool me once, shame on you...fool me twice, shame on me..."...

...I guess the question I have now is...

...are there enough of us who are foolish enough to fall for the Donald's schtick again?

...it makes for great television, I'll give the Donald that. So true to form, he sticks to what (little) he knows.

Not so much with global health crises or foreign statecraft or domestic tranquility, obviously, but...;)

Dubious, ROXTXIA and CometsWin like this.