1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who inherits the Republican Party?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by JuanValdez, Oct 23, 2020.

1. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I don’t know — you just have to administer the right amount of coke. Too little, or too much = not good!

2. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

QAnon already has.

The take that Republicans will actually engage in good policy in good faith for it's own sake has 250,000 witnesses willing to attest otherwise, except, with the notable exception of Herman Cain, they are unable to do so.

Invisible Fan and HP3 like this.
  3. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Trumpists already won. There will be no war. The Trumpists are the Republican party.

Most of the low-tax Republicans will hold their noses and join in because it's always been about the tax cuts for them.

It's not a question of who will win the heart and soul of the party, it's a question of how extreme it will get

HP3 likes this.
  4. Dairy Ashford

Dairy Ashford Member

To be fair, he could just drop dead; like Darryl Kile or John Ritter. Or Anjelica Huston could upturn a tray of wine glasses on his throat, like she did to John Cusack.

Party goes to Rubio or Haley.

Nook likes this.
  5. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

My sense is Kayleigh McEnany will rise up - she's dangerous. Unlike Trump, she's extremely intelligent but has the same combativeness and ability to spin. But she also knows her stuff much better than a Trump. She's young, but if she decides to step out of media type / press roles and go into full fledged political office, she could be formidable.

6. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

With recent comments from Haley I definitely see her as one of the front runners for the GOP.

7. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Without COVID-19 the race would be closer but still tilt Biden. Trump still would have a narrow path to victory like he did in 2016.

The off year election in 2018 should have favored the Rs since they always have a strong GOV. What we got was a blue wave which overwhelmed the Rs turnout.

Another point is that 52% of voters thought Trump should have been impeached (back in January of this year which seems like a lifetime ago). I can’t see any of that 52% not voting or having a change of heart.

Finally, Trump’s approval rating for his entire time as President has had a ceiling of 44%. Trump in 2020 national polls has not done better than the 44%.

Trump still has a narrow path to victory, given our electoral college system.

HP3, JayGoogle and malakas like this.
  8. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Rubio, Haley, Hawley, Cotton and Crenshaw are all "clean" enough (without being seeing as traitors by Trump fans) to re-unite the jingoist and conservative wings of the Republican party.

If the jingoist/Trumplican base takes over the party, I honestly see Tucker Carlson emerging as a political force. He does a great job of channeling the anger and grievances of white, blue-collar America.

JuanValdez likes this.
  9. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I agree...

There will be a split, but as you stated who will take over the party.. the conservatives or Trumpism...

Going to be interesting ..

T_Man

10. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

It's going back to the neocons / war party. They have adapted and can now use populism and social media as well. See: the Lincoln Project.

11. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Paul Ryan...that makes a lot of sense actually. He's been so detached from the public eye that I could see him coming in and running. He's that fiscal conservative type that could shift more to being socially democrat, he's certainly, it seems, kept his eyes on the landscape. A Trumpless landscape could benefit him.

I could see him as a perfect anti-trump candidate...but there is definitely going to be a fight for the party. It really depends, if Trump gets trounced, can nativism work? I think the GOP will have to accept the diversity of the country and try better to get minority votes, they literally lose with every minority demographic, every one.

If Trump loses big I think it might say that there is no future for it anymore.

Tim Scott might be a candidate for the future of the GOP, obviously, a strong conservative that could work on the GOPs quite frankly problematic image towards black people. I don't say that because Tim Scott is black, it hasn't worked for other black conservatives, but because he does fight for criminal justice reform and he might be the guy to work on the momentum that Trump has actually built in black communities. Would that excite the Trump base? Probably not, I guess we'll see.

#31 JayGoogle, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
  12. snowconeman22

snowconeman22 Member

yes. IMO most members of both parties THINK they are smarter than the other team. GOP would rally around a candidate who is smart , as long as he sounds smart in their sort of way. ( aka we gotta make those democrats think harder because they are dumb haha ) Yang had a bit of a niche among libertarians and the like . If GOP wants to win they've got to steal back people caught in the middle of the two parties. Biden and the dems IMO tried to appeal to this same middle by not going the progressive route. Plus trump being the catalyst he is brings energy out of people ( best euphemism of all time if i can pat myself on the back here ).

Whats the state of play in 4 years ? sure a lot of that depends on what biden can do and how much dumber we collectively get . But i think if Yang's baby ( UBI ) is getting blue balled by the dems he could switch sides. Plus yang can think of a different slogan. Depending on how much spending gets blocked / has immediate results the govt spending / surplus/ deficit battle will for sure be a factor ... or maybe people will improve their understanding of the economy. Either way , i can see an unlikely scenario where Yang is dressed up as a smart way to run the govt and be progressive/consevative at the same time.

Plus isnt the GOP all about sticking it to black people ? what better way to piss them off than by running an Asian :)
    [​IMG]

edit*

Other dark horse picks are DM and jeff Lunhow . Jeffs spanish and DM's table tennis prowess might just be an unbeatable combo

13. rockbox

rockbox Around before clutchcity.com

The party needs a charismatic woman or minority to take the rains. You think white suburban women will keep voting democratic? All the republicans have to do is to trot out a woman or hispanic(not named Ted) that is rational, and they will win especially if Kamala is the nominee.

14. Two Sandwiches

Two Sandwiches Contributing Member

I'd like to say it'll be someone like Mitt Romney. We all know that won't happen, though.

To me, the future of the party is Dan Crenshaw.

15. Nook

Nook Member

The future of the Republican Party is going to be someone that appeals to minority voters, and the Republican candidate that does that will be hard to beat. They will not use baiting language against blacks and Latinos. They will pursue policies that financially aim to help blacks, Latinos and women.

The candidate will be pro- life, moderately religious, likely a minority themselves and will have a good relationship with the media. They will support immigration limitation and will package their message as being one of protecting minorities by limiting immigrants and illegals, that will likewise appeal to poor white voters... their conservative stance on some social issues will deliver the evangelicals.

The Republican Party will, through their leadership, be one for the working class man... the salt of the earth type.... they will be supporters of tariffs and will struggle to get corporate financing. They will preach “families” and “hard work”.

Rileydog likes this.
  16. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

Actually had a bit more time to think about this...

I think there will be a third party... The party of Trump, with Trump about to start up his network most of his followers will follow him and fox will again be stuck with the conservative Republicans...

I can see people such as Hannity and Ingram moving over to the Trump network and then bashing the Fox network and the Republican party..

T_Man

17. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

Ugh, I’m not a believer in jinxes but I want a blue wave bad enough to worry about jinxes, but I can’t help but chime in here. I think this is a very real articulation of what’s to come, and truth be told, if it is a sufficient repudiation of trumpism and race baiting, it’s not terribly bad for the country. The question for the group is. .... how long will it take the Republican Party to get here?

If Biden loses, will trumpism really go away. Will trump be silenced? Will his pack of angry wolves (I’m assuming post election they’ll be convinced it was stolen from them) be willing to hear another approach? They’ve been taught to view the world a certain way, Democrats a certain way, behave a certain way. Biden will do his best to broker peace, and I’m hoping the threat of prosecution against trump world can force messaging of peace from trump himself. Or some republicans will want to step into the vacuum and be seen as the new “leaders” bringing the party to a new way.

(And for the record, I’m more of a moderate and my desire for a blue wave is to force republicans to turn their backs on trumpism if they have any hope of regaining power).

Nook likes this.
  18. Roscoe Arbuckle

56% say they're better off since Obama.

46% approval rate from black voters after the last debate.

I know the hate is there, but hate only gets so many people out to vote. Moderates stay home.

Y'all need to revisit this thread in 4 years because your ticket is going to fail.

19. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

Source?

20. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

lulz ... this thread has turned into Democrat-splaining what Republicans should do