1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump - Biden Debate Part Deaux...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Well said. When I decided to leave a super major O&G a few years ago for a job in healthcare, I had many dumbfounded coworkers. They could not understand why I would leave the industry or that company in particular. But over the last year or so I have had more than a few reach out to me to tell me about how stressful things are there now and how they're considering getting out of the industry, but they're still too apprehensive to actually get out.

RayRay10, dobro1229, joshuaao and 2 others like this.
  2. T_Man

T_Man Contributing Member

I can't say i'm a supporter of any of these candidates, I just really dislike Trump....

But. i'm trying to understand your question on food production, sourcing and delivery??? I have worked in the food industry for a while and there is nothing that Biden stated last night (that I heard of) that would impact that industry....

Most Restaurants get their food from US Food or Sysco... Their are also Ma and Pa places around also... But all of those companies use Local farmers for their products... The same goes for big Grocery Stores.. They all use Local suppliers...

So can you please help me with your question???

T_Man

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ever heard of Natural gas and electric? There are tons of fleets already using both to transport goods. No one is saying Oil is over but just like Coal it's life span is coming to an end with more energy efficient and less wasteful replacements. Exxon and Cheveron know this too. That's why they've also shifted from exploration to R&D.

4. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

I think gasoline, diesel and bunker fuel do have a long future ahead as commercial transportation energy if that's what he is talking about.
    It's bad but probably necessary.... maybe 20 years?

RayRay10 likes this.
  5. IBTL

IBTL Member
    Supporting Member

he is a troll.
    only trump can save us biden means end of world ( talk about desperate)

RayRay10 likes this.
  6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

7. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

We're still going to be using those for years to come. Even if Biden and a Democratic Senate get's elected that won't change. What this is about is transitioning to other energy sources and even if this country was totally behind that it would still take time to make the transition.

Also another reason why Houston won't be a ghost town is even if we aren't relying on oil for power there are still many products made from oil that will also take time to transition. Houston is also in a great position to lead to any transition given the chemical infrastructure here.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  8. NewRoxFan

9. NewRoxFan

10. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

11. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

So you dont work in energy or the industries that support it. How am I a liar again?

12. Dubious

Did that cartoonist even watch?

RayRay10 likes this.
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

delete.

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You lie because I have worked in the industry and I live here.

What did you miss?

RayRay10 likes this.
  15. s3ts

s3ts Member

Nuclear tech for ships are only used on aircraft carriers.

Again, absolutely no answers to my questions. Haven't changed my mind.

Yet all you did was ask ME a question, with no clarification on what YOUR position is. MY position is crystal clear. And if you want me to clarify anything, I'll be more than happy to.

RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Bandwagoner

Bandwagoner Contributing Member

Im not missing anything. You seem to be confused on present tense verb usage.

For the record i was talking nook and deckard, so this entire conversation is bogus. But the fact that you had a tangental gig 12 years ago and therefore can claim to have skin in the game was too juicy to let go.

17. Dubious

#577 Dubious, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

The nuclear tech is there so it can be used for transport.

This is not about changing your mind, it's about telling you that there is a tech to replace fossil fuel for shipping.

Yes your position is very clear,you just want b**** about libs wanting to do away with fossil fuel.

So go right ahead.

#578 jiggyfly, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    RayRay10 and the11mingdynasty like this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Tangental gig.

You have no idea, I worked with personnel from project managers to designers and my lively hood was based knowing where prices were heading and what projects would actually be completed and hiring.

I still have friends and family working in O&G, From oilfields to execs at Haliburton.

Did you really tie this conversation to a present vs past verb?

RayRay10 likes this.
  20. s3ts

s3ts Member

I'm very inclined to agree. You, sir, have a very convincing voice.

However, Biden, nor the dems in general, have a plan to inject the jobs required to keep the economies impacted afloat. This isn't COVID, there isn't going to be a stimulus bill, nobody likes anyone who works in O&G, not even themselves.

The "baby steps" that you allude to is a very moderate position, and even those are pretty devastating blows for a low-demand oil economy right now. Biden might make you think this way in how he's presenting himself, but... I think even the consensus on this thread shows how little people give a **** about the O&G industry. It really isn't hard to support a prediction that Biden and Dems will do what they can to squeeze O&G.

Houston is a very scary place to be in at the moment. Even with the quarantining firms everywhere, I see so many people have already went back to work in the office... A lot of them live in fear of losing their jobs, and they know the job cuts are coming next January.

The ghost town effect that happened in Detroit is very reminiscent for me -- lived also in Michigan for 3 years. With no bailouts, Houston will keep falling, become even more affordable, and continue to be attractive to people who only look for an affordable option. Breaking that pattern requires rejuvenation by other industries, or the educated population finding some shred of faith to move back in. In Michigan's case, never really panned out, even though they have fantastic schools. There's big parallels here -- Houston is just as unattractive with natural disaster concerns, hot weather, and dying industries right in the middle of the city. Possibly the only positive thing is the geography of the land, how flat it is. The rich people looking to set up shop, they're not finding any of that sexy.

RayRay10 and Invisible Fan like this.