1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

How bad was the ET Atari Video Game

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Roscoe Arbuckle, Oct 19, 2020.

1. STR8Thugg

STR8Thugg STR8Thugg Member

Yeah so bizarre. I don't really get the appeal except it's funny?

Seems like something that would get boring after 15 mins.

2. Drexlerfan22

Drexlerfan22 Contributing Member

I'm actually told my brother & I had an Atari, but I guess I was so young that I don't really remember it... though I for sure remember playing Missile Command at a friend's house who still had an Atari years later. Besides that, NES is the first thing I have clear memories of. On which, some of the first games I remember playing a lot were:
    • Trojan - For today, unfortunately-named, was a simple side-scroller beat-em-up that took 10-15 minutes to beat. Remember thinking it was pretty "easy" at the time, though by today's standards it's very hard!
    • Double Dragon 2 - Another sidescroller that felt "easy" at the time. Mostly I played it co-op with my brother.
    • 8 Eyes - Impossibly hard side-scroller, then and now. I always think of this as the most difficult game I've ever played. Don't recall ever beating it. I should try playing it today with save-states I suppose, maybe it would be cathartic. Had kind of a cool concept where you had your guy but he also had a falcon he could send out to do attacks, or a 2nd player could control the falcon.
    • Defender of the Crown - Still amazing. I was excited to buy the (PS2?) re-release, but updated graphics didn't really make it any better than it already was. I legit may play this tonight on emulator now that I've remembered it, haha.
    Bonus, on Genesis... I will plug this again since it's still good today:
    • Powerball - I mourn the death of combat sports games as a genre; the last really good one I remember was Blitz: the League. Powerball was so unique/fun, and I'd kill to have an updated version with a career-mode type of thing where you can create a character and trade players and play multiple years and such.

Noted. I'll have to try to remember to watch this when I have time. Was disappointed in High Score also. Seemed like it was an inch deep and only covered ground that has been covered ad nauseam anyhow.

3. likestohypeguy

Bad yes, but not the worst. I mean there were tons of throwaway games they just completely mailed in, really crappy educational games etc

4. Roscoe Arbuckle

The one I posted has an episode for ever year from 1977-1990.

Drexlerfan22 likes this.
  5. droxford

droxford Member

ok... that video SUCKED

It's a bunch of people who weren't alive in the 70s and are making fun of the older technology... without providing any contributions of any value.

6. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

This thread reminds me that I live down the road from the National Video Game Museum but have never been. I need to eventually check that place out.

7. Roscoe Arbuckle

I liked it. Pretty much was a compilation of all the video game youtubers out there.

8. Colt45

Colt45 Member
    Supporting Member

I highly recommend it. Very thorough and lots of playables. Have you been to Free Play of Cidercade? Also, the annual Texas Pinball Festival at the convention center has mame cabinets and hundreds of pinballs. Well, worth the price of admission.

Dr of Dunk likes this.
  9. Roscoe Arbuckle

I'll look into these. Closer to Home is Joystix in Downtown. They do it sparingly but for $20 you get to free play all their video games & pinballs all night. Plus it's connected to a bar...

[​IMG]

10. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I was born in 77 so I was young when the 2600 was out but I remember playing Frogger, Super Break Out, Pac Man, Defender, and I loved a Star Wars game (I think it may have involved flying the Hoth ships or something).

11. Buck Turgidson

I was 74, but I highly recommend looking through @Dr of Dunk 's link to the Atari online arcade. I played a couple, but I had more fun just looking through all the titles

eta: here it is Play your favorite Atari 2600 video games games online. Play free Atari cartridge games

It's hilarious, they made games out of some seriously random terrible movies that I loved as a kid...Krull, MegaForce, etc...

Blake likes this.
  12. Roscoe Arbuckle

My favorite one back then was Ali Baba. I recall drinking 5 Alive in Alaska and playing it until the wee hours of the morning.

BTW, 72 here.

13. Buck Turgidson

The best/worst one I've found so far is Schnecke Gegen Eichhornchen (Snail Versus Squirrel)

Yep, it's German.