1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Trump - Biden Debate Part Deaux...

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by T_Man, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Related: Andrew Yang was on Chris Jericho's podcast and said that as a member of Biden's small business whatevergroup that he was interested in suing the WWE, since they classify wrestlers as independent contractors but restrict them from wrestling for any other company.

Ubiquitin and jiggyfly like this.
  2. Master Baiter

Master Baiter Contributing Member

I was living in OC at the time and it was unbelievable how fast it cleaned up. We are killing our earth.

3. dmoneybangbang

This. I really wish Dems could find some middle road on a New Green Deal that isn't as punitive towards nat gas while investing in hardening our coasts, levees, and reservoirs.

#543 dmoneybangbang, Oct 23, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2020
    DVauthrin, B-Bob and jiggyfly like this.
  4. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

The earth will persevere. The conditions for life on earth will change, and humans will die off. But the earth will remain

Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Have you never seen an assbot?

6. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

That's ultimately what will happen. You put out a plan with all of your perceived best case scenarios, knowing full well that you won't get many of them. You use the more outlandish ones as negotiating tools. It's Politics 101.

fchowd0311 likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What do you think happened to Detroit?

People come from all over the world for Houston's medical center its not dependent on the number of joibs in Houston.

Detroit was built on one industry and white flight is what really killed Detroit.

Most O&G companies will just transition into renewables.

8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

You lie like Trump.

I have lived in Houston and have worked in O&G upstream, I transitioned out in 2008 because of the collapse.

IBTL and fchowd0311 like this.
  9. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Inside the loop Houston, within about 2 weeks of semi-lock down, I saw a coyote, peacock, rabbits, raccoons, armadillos, water birds.

B-Bob likes this.
  10. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

https://endpts.com/houstons-huge-rd...-to-clip-chinas-ties-to-researchers-ip-theft/

https://www.yellowpages.com/houston-tx/pharmaceutical-companies

https://pages.questexnetwork.com/rs...he top 10 pharma R&D budgets in 2016 REV2.pdf

Based on figures from their 2016 annual reports, the top 10 pharma R&D budgets (all using ... AstraZeneca and Bristol-Myers Squibb shelled out the most on R&D in ... San Diego, San Francisco, Boston, Houston and early this year, New York.

B-Bob likes this.
  11. s3ts

s3ts Member

Nope. It's about how does this world run without oil. Nobody has a clue.

A massive supply chain for our food and water is the first and biggest problem to solve. Nobody has an answer. The closest we get is a nuclear powered shipping industry where each ship which carries a nuclear engine.

Mass production of food requires fertilizers and pesticides. A lot of those products are O&G products. How do you solve that issue?

You can't throw money at it, it essentially means we have to centralize the economy and turn transport/food/energy industries into a government-run program that funds it all 100% because none of these things can work in an infinite resource paradigm.

12. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Ever watch that movie "Children of Man"? Wouldn't mind that happening to some extent actually.

Nook, Ubiquitin and B-Bob like this.
  13. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

y’all are some grim mother-ruckers. LOL

14. s3ts

s3ts Member

People over here thinking I'm some spoiled kid.

Honestly, food and water is the most important thing. How we source and deliver these things is everything.

Biden supporters, just answer me:

How we're going to solve food production, sourcing, delivery? How does one deliver everything to Atlanta, Vegas, etc?

How are we replacing tires again?

Answer these things and I'll really change my mind. I don't live in Houston, nor do I work in O&G anymore. The mental work of changing my mind is real easy.

As far as sourcing energy for the cities we live in, it'll be widely varying, and that can be handled by state/city governments. But I've yet to hear a good solution to the shipping industry, travel, but most importantly, food production/delivery is never discussed.

The smartest guy I've met, his pitch was just to subsidize all of those things. Again, that's a centralization approach. It'll work for a certain period of transition, but we're not removing O&G from the equation unless we localize the food production/delivery. That's a massive change that'll take a long time, with subsidies required on a massive scale.

Then you weigh that against all the other policies we care about like education, foreign policy, etc. And you let me know if that's worth it.

15. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

We are going to use Clean Coal

Ubiquitin likes this.
  16. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

8B6F017E-8975-44DC-8020-47FF59A51DF5.gif

RayRay10, tmoney1101, CCorn and 8 others like this.
  17. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

So much this.

This is the best way, I have seen this stated.

Good ****.

RayRay10 and dobro1229 like this.
  18. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

Lincoln going right at the Hunter Biden stuff in a brilliant way, (if you ask me).

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

What Biden supporters are saying totally get rid of those things?

Do you know what transitioning actually means?

You act like people are saying this will happen tomorrow,

There is already nuclear tech for ships, everything has to be on the table.

RayRay10, IBTL, DVauthrin and 2 others like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

You probably think Joe has gone full AOC...except it wasn't like he was complaining to Obama when they went on board with fracking and even deep sea drilling until BP blew their load into the Gulf. They likely went ahead with it because our economy needed every boost it could get to jump out of the deep recession.

He's been repeating the matter of transitioning and even his fracking ban is for new permits...on federal land. Big, no yuge difference to what you're imagining.

So no, I don't think Houston will be a "ghost town" for the reasons you gave. Even if we go full electric vehicles to reduce individual carbon emissions, we still got industrial needs for petroleum and the world will definitely lag in fossil fuel dependence if these technologies are expensive.

And if it came to outright bans, we're knee deep in junk plastics. I'd welcome some mitigation into that before our bodies decide they've had enough microplastics in the bloodstream and start ****ing us over like it's done with frogs and small mammals. Not even cancer, but the thought of changing your sex drive or the plumbing down there is terrifying enough.

But baby steps. Widdle ****ing baby steps into doing what we should've done 20 years ago, which is to limit emissions by cars rather than outright petroleum bans on what amounts of pollution it dumps into the environment.

RayRay10 and s3ts like this.