1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Would a Biden presidency make us more or less divided?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by durvasa, Oct 21, 2020.

1. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

My assumption has been that a Biden presidency would help reverse divisiveness that has grown under the last two administrations. Reports suggest that he's considering bringing in (moderate) Republicans into his administration. I think this would be a positive step.

How important is it for Biden to be "a uniter, not a divider"? How does he go about doing that, without also alienating people in his party? Is there any hope in reversing the damage that has already be done?

RayRay10 likes this.
  2. Carl Herrera

Carl Herrera Contributing Member

He will not convince the true crazies. But we can hopefully reduce the number of their allies and not putting them in positions to ruin our lives.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

I hope he learns from Obama’s mistakes and not worry about reaching across the aisle.

There are needed changes in this country and you have to first understand the GOP has no interest in helping anyone. They only want to cut taxes and regulations, boost the stock market, and spend insane amounts of money on defense when there hasn’t been a real threat to this country since WWII. All of that while driving the US further and further into debt.

I think it will be less divisive without having to deal with rage hate tweets 24/7 riling up the populace and confirming their conspiracy theories.

4. Ubiquitin

Ubiquitin Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

5. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

Perhaps I should have worded the title as "Would we be more or less divided under a Biden Presidency."

I can't imagine that Biden himself could do more damage than Trump in dividing the country. But I worry that Trump leaving will not be enough to reverse trend towards increasing polarization. It could be that heavy-handed control over speech within the culture as well as on social media platforms will be the prescription. I'm not looking forward to that either.

6. thejav

thejav Member

All of the crazy people will just go back in thier holes.

RayRay10, FranchiseBlade and T_Man like this.
  7. Space Ghost

Space Ghost Contributing Member

Pretty much this. Except on these forums

FranchiseBlade and Ubiquitin like this.
  8. Reeko

Reeko Member

agree 100%

GOP isn’t interested in bipartisanship...I hope Biden doesn’t think these never-Trump Republicans are his friends because they’ve endorsed him when they really just hate Trump and will be trying to undermine him once Trump is kicked out of office

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.
  9. Ottomaton

Ottomaton Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

There is literally no possible candidate that could fix the division. Its going to be a process, and the crazies will probably have a temper tantrum when they realize they are losing ground.

Getting better may look a whole lot like getting worse for a while when they act out.

RayRay10, lpbman, Corrosion and 10 others like this.
  10. TheFreak

TheFreak Contributing Member

Is Fox News going off the air if Biden is elected?

RayRay10, malakas, durvasa and 5 others like this.
  11. CometsWin

CometsWin Breaker Breaker One Nine

It’s more important that Biden reinforces our foreign alliances and starts fixing all the things that have been neglected and sabotaged. If Biden wants to run a Republican light administratiin then he should have run as a Republican because we all know appeasement of crazies doesn’t work.

12. nacho bidness

nacho bidness Member

Obama reached across the aisle as others have mentioned and it didn't seem to help much. They still went into hysterics over tan suits and other bs like that. There is one small difference in that Biden is an old white guy though so maybe there's some hope they won't completely revert to foaming at the mouth but I'm not holding my breath.

RayRay10, durvasa, Blatz and 2 others like this.
  13. larsv8

larsv8 Contributing Member

**** them.

I am over compromise and working together.

They simply do not have the same goals in mind for the US.

After the Democrats take control of all three branches, they need to pull every lever they have to crush these corrupt GOP assholes into oblivion.
    - More states
    - Expand the supreme court
    -revamp gerrymandering
    -Make voting mandatory, or offer tax incentives to vote.
    -Online / easier voting
    -A hyper aggressive tax plan for the 1% (there is no moral argument for ANYONE to have that level of wealth, ever)

And I say this, AS A MODERATE.

I have zero tolerance for this corruption. They have made America a ****ing shithole.

14. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

This is a bad assumption. Though I don't mind that people believe it for now.

The Republicans are bad faith actors who are against the democratic project. Until they consent to be a part of it, you really shouldn't assume anything.

It's a weird distortional quirk of our electoral system that they have any power at all. 50-60% of the country is broadly united against them. And in fact most more broadly relevant policy preferences align against them. So in some sense it's not as divided as you think. To the extent Biden pursues broadly popular substantive policies (and crucially, cracks down on bullshit GOP procedural roadblocks like an army of unelected, unaccountable stacked courts) he will be less divisive, especially in the long run

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

couldn’t have said it better myself...love this post

RayRay10 and R0ckets03 like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden being elected will help especially if the Democrats flip the Senate. I think Biden will try to do a lot to reach out to Republicans and Trump supporters and he might find some receptive Republicans who are eager to move on from Trumpism. If a stimulus bill hasn't been passed and COVID-19 is still raging in February I could see a bipartisan stimulus bill passed. Also a bipartisan infrastructure bill. At the minimum we won't have a President insulting people and rage tweeting.

What I think will happen is that there will be battle within the Republican party between people like Marco Rubio and Mitt Romney who want to push the party into a small government conservative party but not one that embraces Nativism versus people like Tom Cotton and Matt Gaetz. My guess is Fox News will go along with the Rubio wing while OAN and Breitbart will go with the Gaetz. How that fight ends up will largely decide how decided we stay for the next decade.

Also there will be other fractures that will open up. Biden is currently heading a coalition that is primarily held together as anti-Trump. Once Trump is out of office and if there is a Democratic Senate and House it will likely fracture quickly. There will be a lot of debate and tension regarding how to proceed on things like health care, the Green New Deal, taxes, trade, and criminal justice reform that the coalition of Never Trumper Republicans to Sanders Progressives will not agree upon.

RayRay10 and durvasa like this.
  17. FranchiseBlade

FranchiseBlade Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Less. There will still be crazy divisive suckers, but they won't have a leader with a bully pulpit able to spread it. Press conferences and government will be run by rational people who's main objective isn't to cover their lies and incompetence or to keep them out of jail

It will once again be about governing rather than a business brand.

RayRay10 and durvasa like this.
  18. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

I think the divide keeps deepening regardless, the question is at what rate. In comparison to Trump? I think the political divide in America grows at a slower rate with Biden winning.

Trumps entire shtick is division.

19. Rileydog

Rileydog Contributing Member

I have posted this before. Trump and trumpism is not going away, no matter the result of the election. That is why it is critically important for people to vote STRAIGHT TICKET BLUE. Republicans must be punished at all levels of government and be made to understand that we will not tolerate trumpism in any form.

if equipped with that result, Biden can go to the Republican Party and demand that they disavow Trump, q anon, white nationalism and the like, erase him as the face of the Republican franchise. If they agree to a moderate approach, he can deliver that to the far left as a concession/capitulation from the far right, and work to pull in the extremes from each side.

I know that is my/the moderates’ end goal, and perhaps not shared by all. But a punishing blue wave up and down ballot is needed to demand repudiation of trumpism. Republicans must be made to understand that they have no hope of regaining any representation or power unless trump is disavowed.

20. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Biden will have 2 years to get everything done. Then the Republicans will likely take the House back and it will be back to gridlock.

RayRay10 and FranchiseBlade like this.