1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

NEXT GEN Gaming Console, PS5 and Xbox Series X news/upates

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by noize, Mar 17, 2020.

1. Caesar

Caesar Member

I'm ready to leave Samsung. Many issues past 3 or 4 tv's.

With OLED, i just fear burn in as i leave my HPTC on all day and tv sometimes stays on all day without screen savers. I hate screen savers, i always eventually get freezing. I haven't had a gaming console in many years, but the PS5 will be a definite purchase. I'd like to play Last of Us 2 and a few other new next gen games, but it'll act as a multi purpose device as mentioned. The PS5 will probably sit there on pause or main menu for many hours too. I guess i got to just stop being lazy and turn things off, but old habits...old dog...new tricks..whatever

tinman and Blatz like this.
  2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

You have many things to counter burn in
    I have the tv turn off of if it idles for too long

#702 tinman, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  3. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

Modern OLED seems to be safe from burn-in but companies like LG offer extended warranties that cover burn in if it's peace of mind you are after. LG has also been known to replace older OLEDs out-of-warranty. 3rd party companies like Geek Squad also offer protection plans. I hear Costco's program is good.

Blatz likes this.
  4. Caesar

Caesar Member

That's funny. I forgot about the tv option. I usually turn everything off in tv settings and just do rtings.com picture settings and everything else off. Problem is, those few hours of burn in add up before the tv screen saver or tv powers off

5. Caesar

Caesar Member

Modern as in 2020 and beyond? Last i checked with rtings.com they showed a lot of OLED burn in issues with tv's. This was 2018-2019 though before i settled on a QLED. Granted, the burn in isn't nearly as bad as plasma tv's.

6. tinman

Supporting Member

I got mine in 2019
    No problems but I setup my tv options

Caesar likes this.
  7. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

It still happens with the newest models and in general the risk is a lot higher with accumulating years, hence why you mainly see ppl reporting burn-in with their 3+ year old models in forums (people in eg 2017 would tell you the new models seem safe and report low burn-in numbers compared to 2015 models, but zoom forward 3yrs and now the 2017 models have high reported burn-in numbers). But the pattern is still largely the same, albeit things got better with the newer models.

Seeing how you mention leaving the TV on all day I'd honestly not recommend OLED. Every expert, even LG themselves will tell you to vary the content and not leave the same content on for too long and burn-in tests like on rtings still show burn-in in images with a static logo or hud after a certain amount of hours.

Also, OLED naturally loses brightness and saturation over its lifespan due to the components, so if your TV is on for most of the day it will certainly degrade much faster than a non-OLED TV.
    LG states a 100.000hr lifetime circle, but that number is from pre-hdr and high luminance days, so it's effectively much lower nowadays.

You said you had issues with your past few Samsungs, mind going into detail?

Blatz and Caesar like this.
  8. Caesar

Caesar Member

Thanks for the detailed response man

I think it's called "vertical banding" or something like that? Just lines up and down burned into the screen. 2 different tv's had it. One had a couple of dead pixels. All have had CEC issues with my AVR's

9. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

Ah okay.
    The flawed panels are sadly a thing with all LEDs. With QLED you'll often have a bit of dirty screen effect, which mostly comes up as some darker splotches in the panel, which you'll mostly notice with backgrounds that utilize a single colour, for example snow or sky, it becomes most noticeable when the camera slowly pans horizontally.

The vertical banding you mentioned is pretty much gone with QLED but nearly every single OLED has it (see rtings C9 and CX reviews: "Like previous OLED TVs, there are some very faint horizontal and vertical lines noticeable in a pitch-black room when displaying near-black scenes").

So basically you'll have to settle for either the banding with OLED or some more dse blotches with QLED. The banding is most noticeable in near black/grey scenes, so for example games with a darker palette.
    In both technologies you'll notice this with certain content and everyone telling you their panel is perfect won't show you proper photos of their grey scale tests, which is a dead giveaway.

Do you generally prefer brighter or darker content when gaming and watching TV? QLED leads with brighter content due to the higher luminance and better color gamut& volume (for example in anime, cartoons or bright games like Fortnite, fifa, NBA etc), whereas OLED will shine in dark material like space and action flicks with a lot of blacks and small shiny objects (for example the street lights or glowing buttons, panels in sci-fi flicks).

Blatz likes this.
  10. Caesar

Caesar Member

QLED was great while it was working before it was destroyed via fastball remote to screen

tinman likes this.
  11. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

A thing to note for gaming and those TVs:
    If you play competitive fast-reaction games (shooters, battle royal, fighting games) online, you'll want to turn on gaming mode, which basically turns off most of the video processing of the TV and therefore increases response time drastically (from above 50ms to often 15 or below).

Due to the nature of OLED, which mainly lives off the autonomous pixels, this will not affect the picture quality a lot.

With high-end QLEDs, where especially the numerous dimming zones lead to the much higher contrast and better blacks compared to traditional edge lit LED, the gaming mode will reduce the picture quality more and make the contrast look a bit washed out. It still looks decent though.

So if you mainly play competitive games online and still care about the best picture quality, OLED is better if you don't care for the burn-in risk. The gaming mode imo is only necessary if you play games where milliseconds decide (shooters or fighting games), but not needed if you more play sports games where the action is a tad slower in comparison.

Nippystix, RC Cola, Caesar and 2 others like this.
  12. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I believe you are referencing the test of the LG C6 where they left several panels on 24/7, while displaying near-static content (FIFA, COD, CNN, etc). That's hardly realistic usage, yet some of those panels did not show signs of burn-in.

That was the C6 or maybe C7. We're on the 10th installment now.

Since that time, they've added a logo luminance feature, pixel shift and 2 different types of pixel refreshing protocols.

Also, are there really a lot of cases of burn-in? You do see owner's of older OLEDs complain about it online, but it's not an overwhelming amount. Think about this... how many owners are actually going to create posts several years after purchasing a TV to brag about not having burn-in? That's just.... weird.

Would companies really still be invested in OLED technology if consumers were reporting high numbers of burn-in? It's hard for me to believe the market would allow for it. Not for this long.

tinman and Caesar like this.
  13. tinman

Supporting Member

The OLED owners I know are gamers who play way more games than I do.
    I was not the first one with an OLED, it was highly recommended to me. I had a THX certified plasma with proper calibration (no burn in ever) and the difference was night and day.
    I don't know anyone who has burn in issues either, no ESPN or Brazzers logo stuck on the screen

I wanted the best black levels and no viewing angle issues. This is the best tech for that.
    Also, since the OLEDs are usually premium, you get a faster processor, good sound and it's way more stylish

99ers aren't cheapskates

@Caesar

Caesar likes this.
  14. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

[​IMG]

Ziggy and tinman like this.
  15. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

The plasma I still have from 2007 still has no burn-in. Thanks Samsung! I have 16 days of playtime of the new Call of Duty Modern Warfare on my OLED with no burn-in.

Best blacks and viewing angles - so important. But what blows me away every time is the SHARP contrast between dark and light images since every pixel can light differently. The sun on an OLED screen looks amazing.

Disney + OLED are working on some enhanced content - https://www.techradar.com/news/disney-and-marvel-throw-their-weight-behind-oled-tvs meanwhile Samsung apparently doesn't even support Dolby Vision (wow).

tinman likes this.
  17. KingCheetah

KingCheetah Contributing Member

The best TV/ monitor for gaming and general professional use is the Metz + Pro 4K.

Ubiquitin likes this.
  18. tinman

Supporting Member

19. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

20. Blatz

Blatz Contributing Member

So should I not get the TCL 6 series for my series X? I don't really like that LGnano85 from what I've seen. It's also going into a dark room and rtings doesn't seem to like it performance there.

peleincubus likes this.