1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Shall we look up Tannehills INTs over his career? 13, 17, 12, 12, 12, 9, 6, 2. Is that the baseline of "good" ???

Sigh. Okay so only one QB is able to have success since there is only one SB winner right? I mean "he hasnt done anything outside of one blah blah blah" .. that is such a crappy comment from a "fan".

Sounds like you are on quite an excuseAthon for Tanny in my opinion 'Hes done the same in Miami, with the right players etc etc"

I hope Watson keeps improving too while the schedule equalizes - at the same time I'll be curious to see how Tanny fares against the same kind of defenses Watson has already played well against starting this Sunday vs Pittsburgh.

YOu talk about a player peaking, but yet here you are in googly eyed admiration of a journeyman who has resurrected his career on a new team - that is quite a distance between thoughts.

gfab-babyboi likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

The only excuse making is you making excuses for Deshaun. Why is that?

How many picks did he have his rookie year in 7 games? How many last year? How many bad throws, what percentage of bad throws?
    Tannehill had similar seasons in 14&15 to Deshaun last year. And those Texan teams had far more talent than those Miami teams, including the best receiver in the game.

You bash other quarterbacks but don’t say anything about your own quarterback, that doesn’t make sense.
    It’s a simple question, do you think he is playing up to the level of his contract? Which puts him among players that aren’t his peers.

3. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Do that exercise for both QBs (bad throws etc) - not just Watson - I'll assume you already have that data ready to go. Post it!

I'd love for Watson to be graced with an elite offensive line and run game before I go comparing him to a guy who has just that.

Funny you want to compare rosters - Lets look at that Miami Roster you say had less talent than Watson shall we?

Miami 2014 Noteables - Lamar Miller, Jarvis Landry, Mike Wallace had 10 TDs that year and Charles Clay was still regarded as a good TE and a pretty good offensive line.

Houston 2018 Noteables - Lamar Miller, DeAndre Hopkins, Will Fuller? Ryan Griffin? Add to that one of the worst offensive lines in the history of NFL football - no superlative.

Im sure you meant by including DEFENSIVE players that Houston had more talent right? THAT would make sense - not so much when narrowing down to the weapons Watson has had to work with.

Yes I do think he's earned and EARNING his money considering he's had incompetent management his whole tenure so far.

4. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Bad throws, Deshaun is beating Tannehill by almost triple this season alone. His bad throws as a whole have been pretty bad his entire career. His on target percentage is middle of the pack, for his career.

Did you really just compare Mike Wallace and Jarvis Landry to Hopkins?
    It’s obvious you’re a biased fan and can’t think objectively.
    And once again, I’d choose Watson over Tannehill every time, period. That doesn’t mean he doesn’t have his faults, he’s no where near the top QB in the game. And that also doesn’t mean put down QBs that are doing better than him to prop him up.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And the exercise was comparing to Deshaun last year, where he got worse from 2018. With more talent

6. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I didnt compare anybody - I gave you a list of players - you said the Miami roster was worse than the Houston roster I disagreed and posted each offensive weapon. You're just holding onto the convenient All Pro Nuk label NOW because it suits the argument - werent you one of the guys saying that Watson needed him gone and that no more security blanket was good and all that nonsense? I may have you mixed up with some of the other yahoos here but that was definitely a talking point after the worst trade in NFL history!! Interesting what great players do for a football team huh? Hopefully now with the assfaced gremlin gone the team can go back to stocking talent! DOH!! Thats AFTER the Miami Dolphins stock up with blue chippers for the next two years.

Oh well Deshaun will still thrive - he's done it so far I have no doubt he will continue to do it. Hopefully Tanny keeps all his weapons around him healthy and buys the offensive line all a Rolex for christmas - they've earned it!

Im supporting my QB, Im not putting down Tannehill, but I wont allow his perfect situation to be compared to the chaos that has surrounded Deshaun used as an arguing point because its not apple to apples. Career stats dont bear it out, but again you may only be interested in the last 15 games because if fits this objective QB argument you like to have.

Let me ask you this - Does Tannehill have any flaws?

I know Deshaun struggles with blitz pickup and intermediate passing (I can give you a bunch of "excuses" why that is/was but its irrelevant) curous to see you take an opposing stance in this debate in regards to Tanny. Sounds like the guy can do no wrong, yet poor Watson just cant seem to get it!

I surprised you haven't brought up the wonderlic scores yet to continue the assault!

7. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

No you haven’t ever heard me say not having Hopkins is a good thing. That’s just dumb. It would be nice to spread the ball around but doesn’t mean give away Hop.

What you allow or don’t allow means nothing. You are downplaying Tannehills career and past 15 games and exaggerating Watson’s reasons for struggles. It’s disingenuous.

And yes Tannehill has struggles (Mainly accuracy until recently), you have it somewhere in your head that I like Tannehill over Watson. You can keep all that talk to yourself, I’m not playing that game.

And what’s wonderlic have to do with anything? Again don’t try to put words in my mouth or insinuate something. I can make false accusations too. What’s the real reason you’re putting Tannehill down and propping you’re Watson?

8. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

dude u sound like such a watson hater. Did u completely get donk in the head and completely forgot that during those 4 games, we still had sht BoB as our HC? If u concede that BoB had a hand in holding Watson back, shouldn't u at least give it a full season b4 writing him off.

Tannehill actually had a couple seasons like Deshaun had last year in Miami. Now with the right players he’s stepped up, that’s what good players should do. wtf does that even mean.....

W
    atson has a sht oline, rando ass WRs, what right players is gonna make Watson step up. Honestly. idk y some poster r trying to reason with you when u literally have an agenda. Might as well wait for a few more games of WaTson without shtty BoB before making that call that he peaked already.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

First, who the **** are you?

Second, no where am I writing off Deshaun, I’ve said multiple times I think he can be elite, that I would choose him over Tannehill all day. You have a bunch of dudes hating on Tannehill for some reason and giving Deshaun every excuse in the book for when he has bad play. Time for you Deshaun only fans to stop and see he has some flaws, that aren’t just related to shitty coaching and front office. You idiots keep talking like there is no talent. Cooks and Cobb have performed well at several other stops, Fuller scores TDs like crazy and 3 of the lineman are top 2 rounds draft picks. In fact both tackles are grading out in top 5-10 of their positions.
    Deshaun has elite talent, but is far from a finished product. No where near the contract he has right now. That doesn’t mean he’s garbage, I have never even once inferred that. So if that’s all you got, move around.

10. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And the bold is pretty self explanatory from the post it was referring to.
    Tannehill had back to back seasons in 14&15 that were similar to Deshaun last year. Now Tannehill has better talent around him and is playing well and has way outperformed Watson in the same span. Again for you idiots, that doesn’t mean he’s better but he is playing better right now.
    Hopefully Watson keeps on the upward track of last two games and not the downward track he had a lot of last year and beginning of this year.

11. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

I think you haven't looked at QB stats in the NFL. 1st 4 years.

Watson: 84 TD passes, 34 INTs. in his career (6 games into year 4). Watson will probably finish the season with over 100 TD passes thru 4 years. INTs will probably be around 40-41 thru 4 years.

Tannehill first 4 years: 87 TDs... 54 INT

Mahomes is at 91 TDs....19 INTs. Mahomes in on a unreal start for TD-Ratio. The best in History.

Peyton Manning: 111 TDs...81 INTs.

Tom Brady: 5 years (only play a series in Year 1): 97 TDs, 52 INTs.

Drew Brees: 5 years (1 game in year 1): 80 TDs, 53 INTs.

Watson's INTs are NOT a problem. Historically, he is on the low end for ELITE QBs for turnovers early in their career.

As QB's age, they throw less INTs.

12. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

I know you're a fan. I wont pick this scab anymore. We can revisit the topic here and there throughout the year and hopefully at some point Deshaun can change your mind about him. Im very excited for a new coach and scheme to come in here and maximize the talent he has.

Tanny is a good QB. I liked him at A&M and he's gotten better as most veteran QBs do closing in on year 10. Im very jealous of his situation and wish that Watson had a coach/gm combo who would have surrounded him with better players and wouldnt have mortgaged the future of the team to do so. Simple as that. Guy has done a hell of a job considering all the peripheral noise.

I've had to have arguments with other Watson doubters about his low wonderlic score believe it or not - just me being grumpy and lumping you in with them again. my bad.

be cool dog.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I’m very aware of what other QBs have done statistically, they did improve.
    Brees is an outlier because he didn’t become elite until he moved out of San Diego.
    Peyton had the most TDs and Int ever for a rookie.
    Brady developed later while his team and coach really picked him up.

None of that matters because Watson is compared to Mahomes, the league today and himself. He’s being paid like Mahomes and Wilson. But performance isn’t on par with those two, and it doesn’t seem to be progressing in the right way-hopefully that changes.
    Last year he took a step down from the previous year, his Int % is almost the same as last year.
    Part of it is O’Brien and part of it is bad reads and poor platform throws. I don’t think it’s too much to ask that your 40 mil a year QB doesn’t make mistakes he made as a rookie.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

that was a college worry that even I looked into before he was drafted - he did throw a bunch of picks in Clemson. I've actually been impressed how he's been able to keep it relatively low. It seems like alot when its happened in a short period of time, and lately with boneheaded forced throws, but I never really thought he was bad with the ball like that as a pro.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah man, no reason to get upset on either part. Watson is my guy, there really isn’t nothing to change my mind on him. The standard I hold him to is higher because I believe he can do it. I genuinely believe he has the talent to be Mahomes or Wilson. It might not be fair but that’s part of being great.
    I’m not really even a fan of Tannehill and can’t stand the Titans. I am a fan of facts and giving credit where it’s due though.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  16. conquistador#11

It's interesting that people forget Tannehill's journey. At age 30 he was able to find the right pairing for him, a team that takes his best attributes and maximizes them instead of forcing him into something he's not.

You've seen it throughout the NFL: Good qb throwing ints, holding on to the ball(not extending plays) in their late 20s. Then someone comes along that puts in a system in place that allows him to be his best version, resurrecting his career.

All cautionary tales about the damages being in the wrong system can do.

Verbal Christ likes this.
  17. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

LOL. Mahomes is being coach by one the Best Offensive minds in NFL HISTORY.

Wilson's stats first 4 years: 106 TD - 34. Wilson arrived on a team that was basically Superbowl-ready. They won it in his 2nd year. The previous year they lost in the Division round in a shootout with Atlanta. The 2012 team (Wilson's rookie year) had a rushing game where the team ran for 2000+ yards (Lynch had 1590 yards). Where is the Texans' run game? Exactly. Wilson had Lynch run for atleast 1250 yards in Wilson's first 3 seasons. The Running game is the BEST friend of a younger QB.

18. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Keep on with the excuses, you were also making all kinds of excuses for O’Brien too.
    The fact is, Watson is not the player that Mahomes and Wilson are and he’s already getting paid like them. He’s not as refined, not as quick with reads, not as precise with the ball. He has talent to get there, but he’s not there now.
    All I read on here was let Watson pass, stop trying to run. Now it’s run game will help him. Very fickle group.

19. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

You’re making excuses for the Texans organization by omission. Mahomes is around other professionals who are Elite at what they do. Russell Wilson has a strong organization around him. No QB in history could drag this organization to a Super Bowl. It’s takes too much to win one. The self destructive way the Texans run this organization is laughable.

red5rocket likes this.
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Guys you are arguing with somebody who cmoaks:).
    Seriously, it's hard for me to believe how anyone, no matter the bias, can be so blind to the greatness that is Deshaun. We're talking about a guy who made NFL history in not even half a season as a rookie. We've seen a guy play through the worst coaching ever in this modern era of professional football. There was a collective sigh from the entire league when O'Brien was fired. They knew what many of us here have always known. He's bound to pick up bad habits here and there when you're being thrown to the wolves for dam near every single down.
    The thing is, he's never lost a game for us. As a matter of fact, he's won many for us. That in itself is all that matters but Deshaun always somehow seems to make wins so much sweeter.

conquistador#11 likes this.