1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Yeah let me know how good Tanny looks when he doesnt have one of the best run game/offensive lines in football and an OC who has proven his mettle and is in talks for HC jobs. Just sayin'

Imagine Deshaun with that support cast?

I dont care about testing ability - I care about game speed, vision, and off script and play extending ability.

AGAIN - Tanny is in a great situation, but he's not the catalyst. Why didnt he stick in Miami if he's such a blue chipper?

Head to head Deshaun has outplayed this guy with an inferior offensive line and run game and with incompetence throughout the coaching ranks.

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_f...annehill&player_id2=TannRy00&idx=pfr__players

but im sure you guys want to isolate the Tennessee years as if Miami didnt happen right? OKAY! We can take out Deshauns OUTLIER (lol) 2017 and just compare the last 3 years. For a player in Tanny that you guys are propping up as some sort of physical specimen his stats reflect a pocket passer more than anything and when taking into account the disarray and chaos that surrounds Watson they are comparable in passing and yet Deshaun is WAY BETTER with his legs.

https://stathead.com/football/pcm_f...player_id2=TannRy00&p2yrfrom=2018&p2yrto=2020

TheRealist137 likes this.
  2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Watson’s game speed and vision aren’t elite.
    Off script plays and extending plays are elite, but they’re also a reason he takes a huge number of sacks (not the only reason).

Im not saying Tannehill is better than Watson. He’s performed better in his last 15-16 games than Watson has, that’s not debatable. He’s also not getting paid 40 mil a year.

Stats and flashy plays are great, but it’s a loser mentality. Titans did nothing with Mariota under Center last year, when Tannehill came in they are tied for the best record in league over that span.

If you can’t see the flaws in Watson’s game, I don’t know what to tell you. It’s ok to support him and be a fan, and still call out his weaknesses. At 40 mil a year you’re no longer insulated from criticism.

3. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Also, the stat comparison you posted doesn’t show a clear advantage. More games for Watson. Same completion percentage, almost same ypc. 13 more tds but 9 more interceptions for Watson.
    Not sure what you’re trying to say here.

Again, I would not choose Tanny over Watson at all. But don’t need to put down a dude that is ballin to prop up Deshaun.

He’s our QB, we’re lucky to have him. But if he doesn’t improve on quarterback skills it’s going to be a bad contract. And he doesn’t have the athletic ability to be Lamar or Kyler

4. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Tanny, Lamar & Kyler all have better organizations than the Texans.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I absolutely agree, still doesn’t mean Deshaun doesn’t have his weaknesses. I don’t understand why he has so many excuses made for him. He has so much good in him and so much potential, doesn’t need people to make excuses for his problematic tendencies, or put down another player to prop him up.

6. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

To tell you the truth, moving on would probably be the best move for his career especially if he wants to win the Super Bowl. Ownership here has no vision & they won't hold anyone accountable until things are an absolute mess. They've never built a championship team here. NEVER. They've never played in a conference championship game. NEVER. There's a reason and it starts at the top. If you want a QB to be Elite you get him an offensive coach & you put elite talent around him. You don't allow an idiot to give away All Pro talent for a players who were productive 3 or 4 years ago. The defense is horrendous and a complete joke. (They didn't want to tackle Derrick Henry last game and they couldn't cover a baby's butt in the secondary). I'll agree with that Deshaun needs to be coached & make the simple plays but he also needs ownership to pull their heads out of their backsides.

Verbal Christ and cmoak1982 like this.
  7. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

Deshaun statistically has been more accurate each year his whole career while throwing the ball downfield at a higher YPA and higher air yards per attempt.

Now you are just making stuff up.

8. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Than who? Or are you saying his progression?
    Up until last game he had the most “bad throws” in the league. His completion percentage is high, his ball placement and leading receivers is not that good.
    His interceptions are also pretty high, that comes with forcing throws and bad decisions.
    He does make some unbelievable plays, he also has some bonehead mistakes. All I want is consistency, the ability to shred defenses like a prime Rodgers. After all he’s getting paid like it.

9. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Will say, his deep throw accuracy is awesome. And I like that he has the moxy to do it. Intermediate and short throws have to improve, specially to utilize the speed the receivers do have for yac

10. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

So now the $$$ will be used against Deshaun? LOL okay. Hate to break it to you but if this MVP Tanny keeps "balling" he will also get paid - nature of the beast, but its cool when you have a guy who outplays the contract no doubt just like Deshuan has done for the last 3 years.

Im not making excuses for Deshaun - if you view it that way then I'll say you're making excuses for Tanny - see how that works?

If we want to use stats to verify this "athleticism" debate then why cant we bring up organizational advantages to further show the gross negligence of the franchise?

You still dont want to admit that eveything lined up right for Tanny - the perfect storm, but instead you want to somehow bloat his last 15 games or whatever. Look at what has happened with Deshaun - he was regressing under OBrien - as soon as those chains are off what happens? OH all of a sudden he's a better player?? Cmon man you're a smart football guy im not making Deshaun to be the best QB in the league, Im just surprised we have Texan fans that will go that far for Tannehill.

Remember you guys said that Tanny was this great physical specimen in direct shade to Deshauns athleticism - the debate is starting to evolve and morph a bit, but im prepared to defend my guy with more than just anecdotal subjectivity.

Have these last two games not re-invigorated your opinion of Watson? Or are we going to keep perpetuating the "Last 7 games of 2019 plus the first 4 games of 2020" and place the blame entirely at the feet of Deshaun?

Just wild to see Deshaun get slandered and the root causes just get swept under the rug, while other guys can flourish in great systems and environments and somehow get all the credit.

11. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I don’t know who you’re arguing with lol.

I literally have never said any of the things you’re talking about. So don’t put words in my mouth.
    Why is it that you think Tannehill is not athletic? When he literally is as good if not better athlete than Watson?
    All I’m saying is stop making excuses for Watson, you’re doing him a disservice to make excuses for him so much.
    It isn’t all O’Brien’s fault that Watson has regressed over the last year, just like you can’t say it was all O’Brien’s doing for how good he was in his second year.
    No where have I slandered Watson, just speaking the truth for him. I still think he can be elite, but I’m also not going to put anyone above the team either. He’s getting paid like top 2 QBs in the league....now. There is a short leash on improvement before that’s a bad contract.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

To add to that, I’ve said he’s done way better the last two games overall. But he’s still had quite a few bad throws, and a couple picks. Letting him play to his strengths is a plus, but he also has a lot more to go to be in Mahomes, Wilson, Rodgers stratosphere.

13. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And yes Tannehill is in a much better situation, but 70% 4100 yards, 35/8 td/int, 9.0 ypa in 15 games is quite a bit more than a system QB. Specially after how bad the team looked with Mariota.
    I would take Watson everyday of the week and twice on Sundays, but that doesn’t mean Tannehill hasn’t been ballin.

14. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

so saying Watson was in a trash system and made it work vs Tanny walking into a tailor made system and is flourishing is making excuses?

Just remember you cant play moderate and then jump on the winning team at the last second. You are being nonchalant in this criticism, but allowing yourself an out, all the while pining for a player like Tanny??

You still cant even accept that one guy had a better offensive SYSTEM in place!

Dude Tannehill rarely uses his legs for yardage anymore - ACL surgeries will do that I guess, he is a great pocket passer who FEASTS due to the play action that one Derrick Henry provides. Yes? No? Do you agree with that statement? If not then we are too far apart to continue and its best just to to politely agree to disagree and move on.

15. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Are you ok?
    Where am I pining for Tannehill? I have literally said quite a few times there is no way I choose him over Watson. Watson is the better QB.
    You’re bashing Tannehill for some reason and I don’t understand it, he’s been ballin for basically an entire season. And his overall numbers aren’t terrible, not great either. So Tennessee revamped their entire offense for Tannehill mid season last year? I don’t understand that logic.
    How can you say Watson is great and has put up great numbers and at the same time has been in a terrible system? That would insinuate that it’s all him that has put up the numbers he has, correct? If that’s the case, it’s also all him on why he’s throwing bad balls, interceptions and not leading receivers too.
    I have never bashed Watson, I think he can be elite. There is a problem with him being paid like it when he’s not there yet.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And yes Tannehill has probably lost a step to injuries, same as Deshaun. Which is why he needs to take the next step as a pocket passer.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

There’s a few runs in there past the 4 min mark that are pretty good.
    It would be awesome if Watson had the running threat the he has, some of the play action and bootleg stuff would be great with Deshaun.
    Still have to make the plays, Tannehill has been doing that.
    Don’t even wanna turn this into a Tanny discussion, Watson is superior. I think you’re conflating some things raining threes has said with what I’ve said. I still wouldn’t take away anything from what Tanny has done the last 15 games, it’s been a helluva run.

18. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

bro Im good! Im living it up! I just encapsulated all of the Tanny lovers into one thought hence the loaded words, since you were having a moment or two with some of the other Pro Tanny voices up thread I lumped ya'll together. My bad.

Ryan Tannehill can't run a team on his own - he needs a great offensive line, he needs a great RB and a decent defense. How do I know? Because he hasnt been this guy his entire 8 year career up until the perfect storm unfolded for him. Revamping the offense is correct - look at what they were doing with Mariota and now to Tanny - HUGE CREDIT to Vrabel and Co. for figuring it out on the fly like they have and Im going to need to see more than 15 games of this (like every talking head said about Deshaun and his first 7 games).

Im not bashing Tannehill Im giving you my reasoning for the success, but somehow you think its all QB play and will disparage Watson due to the amount of money he makes? Weird.

Lets look at the level of competition each guy has faced and its a no brainer for me. I'm eagerly awaiting even an average offensive line and hell even a guy like Carlos Hyde would be nice that could actually take some pressure off the offense for Houston.

You want him to hit every single throw and "earn his money" (i may be insinuating again hard to gage sentiment in this medium) and talk about leading receivers (most who are new to the team and have no rapport with him yet) and yet he has a RB who is a complete liability when he is on the field - take off the OBrien Control Modicum and VIOLA - you can see the talent again. Coaching matters my guy.

Like I said Tanny is like Schaub - they will be great when everything around them is on time. I'll be curious to see Tanny with a bad offensive line and no run game. Hate to be the one to say he wont be as good, yet Deshaun has proved he doesnt need perfection around him to make it work. Imagine if he did have some support. A decent defense wins that game last Sunday - Deshaun did everything he could and a gunslinger like him is going to throw INTS when trying to make something happen - its to be expected but his INTs havent been an issue until this year? Convenient.

19. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

His interceptions have been a problem since he’s been in the league, it hasn’t gotten better. Which is why I talk about progressing with him. His overall game has gotten worse since his second year. That’s my worry with him, has he peaked already.
    And I’m not sure what you mean by Deshaun has proven he can do it without others, he hasn’t done anything outside of one really good regular season and another solid one.

Tannehill actually had a couple seasons like Deshaun had last year in Miami. Now with the right players he’s stepped up, that’s what good players should do.

I hope Watson plays loose and keeps improving on the things he’s done well the last couple weeks. Two weeks, with one being against a terrible team doesn’t make up for the first 4 games...

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

And I’m not even remotely a Tannehill lover, I’m just not a hater. No need to put another player down to make yours look better. That includes all the excuses for Deshauns shortcomings.
    Give props to success is all.