1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Deshaun the Great

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Colt45, Sep 10, 2017.

1. DatRocketFan

DatRocketFan Member

glad it took u this long to finally see that sht. better late than never i suppose.

2. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I agree with you. I’d take as much elite talent as we can get.
    That’s not what I was saying. No one says Mahomes is elite because of his receivers, he makes others around him better.

Rodgers makes a bunch of no name receivers perform. Luck made others around him better.
    Just saying, if the only way Deshaun is going to be elite is having elite players surrounding him then he’s not as good as he should be.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

I wish Watson could handoff to Derrick Henry.

raining threes likes this.
  4. dookiester

dookiester Member

either you didnt watch the game or you dont understand what you saw. based on your football takes, neither would surprise. tannehill didn't lead a 80 or 90 yard drive to win the game without any timeouts. he led a 76 yard drive at the end of regulation to send the game to overtime; the drive started with 1 timeout and they got an extra one because Houston had to use one due to an injured player. the fact he was able to throw all over the texans is not impressive whatsoever (second worst defensive pass rating, ahead of only the falcons).

and timeouts obviously were irrelevant on the titan's game-winning drive in overtime.

5. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I won’t say Tannehill is better than Deshaun.
    Deshaun has way more potential imo.
    But what Tannehill has done since becoming starter for Titans is Mahomes/Wilson type numbers. The broadcast alluded to this in fact.
    He’s ballin, period.

6. raining threes

I don't think you got my point, Tannehill came up big in the biggest of moments.

7. raining threes

Me too,

8. raining threes

Cooks had a bad yr last yr but has started in two of the last three SB's. He's also doing well this yr. Cobb had a good year last year and is the best slot the Texans have ever had. WFV we've talked about and he's having a relatively healthy good year. Stills is solid. It seems as though you're trying to build Watson up by talking bad about others. Other teams are looking at trading for the Texans Wr's so they can't be as bad as you are making them out to be.

9. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Who is looking to trade for Texans WRs?

10. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

What is elite? Who is elite?

Is Deshaun average?

11. Verbal Christ

Verbal Christ Member

Its a perfect situation for his skillset. GREAT run game obviously with Henry, but the offensive line for TENN is probably one of it not the best group in the NFL right now. Tannehill isnt extending plays on his own, he gets a chance to see the field and put the ball where it needs to go. He reminds me of Matt Schaub.

12. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

You do know that Tannehill is faster than Deshaun right?
    Former college receiver.

I agree that he’s in perfect spot and I wouldn’t call him a game changer, but athletically he and Deshaun are very similar.

13. Omihall23

Omihall23 Member

It's like people forget that Ryan Tannehill was a high first round pick. You're right. He ran about the same time as Deshaun did at the combine. Even though Mariota was faster than both of them, what Deshaun and Ryan have over Mariota is agility to change direction which makes them much more dangerous runners when they choose to do so. I think people just can't let go over his Miami years when he had no talent around him and horrible coaching.

14. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Exactly, what makes Deshaun good is his pocket escapabillity.
    His athletic comps are Rodgers, Derek Carr, Tannehill.
    Derek Carr and him have almost identical testing numbers.
    This is why I want Deshaun to develop more as a passer, he isn’t the same type of athlete as Lamar, Kyler or even Wilson.
    He makes magic in the pocket, now work on getting reads done faster and leading receivers.

15. tmacfor35

tmacfor35 Contributing Member

You let me know when Derek Carr makes defenders miss like Deshaun.

Deshaun is just as good an athlete as the guys you mention.

I’m laughing at your post.

16. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Deshaun is more elusive, but that’s more about being slippery and competitive in the pocket.
    All athletic testing, for speed, acceleration, agility, jumping and explosiveness. Him and Derek Carr are almost identical, including height.

Watson isn’t close to the same athlete as Lamar, Wilson or Kyler.
    You can laugh all you want but you’re just flat out wrong or uninformed.

17. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

Another athletic comp is Mitch Trubisky. They literally are identical in athletic numbers.
    If you go to nflcombineresults.com you will see that those two are actually compared to each other in athletic profiles.

That doesn’t mean level of quarterback play, that’s athletic testing.
    Deshaun isn’t a 4.3-low 4.5 explosive run away from you guy.
    His best case scenario is Rodgers

18. raining threes

He is. IMHO

Hopefully he keeps improving.

19. raining threes

Supposedly the Packers

20. cmoak1982

cmoak1982 Member
    Supporting Member

I love Deshaun, I think he’s a great kid and could be an elite QB. As of right now he’s a top 10 QB, I wouldn’t call him average but I wouldn’t say he’s anywhere near Mahomes/Wilson/Rodgers level of skill.

The consistency and accuracy have to improve for him to get there.

I’ve said this several times now, the biggest problem is he’s being paid like top 2 in the league and isn’t quite there in production and wins. OB had a lot to do with that, I agree.
    But the QB I think could be his upside (Rodgers) has carried some so so teams and defenses to a lot of good seasons.

Sooty likes this.