1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2020 Presidential Election

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Mar 26, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This will be the final slap in the face to Trumpers, when they learn how much of that money went into the pockets of Trumps friends and family.

2. pirc1

pirc1 Contributing Member

With 40 millions early votes already, what would be the final early voting number? Could it top 80 million? 2016 was 50 millions I believe.

RayRay10 likes this.
  3. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yes I think that's a good possibility. Even more reason why he's not going to be worried if Progressives might primary him because he appoints a Republican to his cabinet.

RayRay10 and Ubiquitin like this.
  4. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I’m saying in 24 which really is probably too early to discuss (let’s just get through the next couple weeks) but no I was just saying I see the party/cult of Trump and QAnon as sort of the same party. Those crazies aren’t going anywhere in just 48 months and still are going to vote... maybe for Trump again or whoever the heir apparent is for Trumpland.

It’s a real conundrum for whatever the Republican Party is going to be moving forward. I could almost see a 4 party system moving forward but again... let’s just see what happens first. If Biden loses all bets are off for whatever the hell happens next.

RayRay10 and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Fantasma Negro

6. Reeko

Reeko Member

I’m concerned with what the majority of the country wants, and it’s not trash Republican policies

yes, vast majority...Trump’s favorability rating with the Republican party has been between 80 and 90+% for pretty much his entire presidency...some have come out against him or never liked him, but the vast majority of citizens and elected officials either support him or stood idly by and condoned this buffoon

of course Progressives will be mad when he’s vetting such garbage for cabinet positions

RayRay10 likes this.
  7. dobro1229

Didn’t 138 million vote in 16? Also the latest i saw was 29 million yesterday.

There’s also mail in votes which aren’t going to be counted till Election Day. Could be 40 to 50 million right there.

So I would say we’ll prob still have slightly higher turnout but 145 million would be my guess at the most. I would just assume the people who pay attention to politics probably already voted unless they are just too busy or something.

Republicans are banking on a huge same day surge. I dunno. Seems like Republicans have the same reasons to vote early as Democrats do. Same day turnout though is likely the people who don’t pay much attention and are procrastinators which is a lot of people im sure and those are the types of people who decide elections... not political junkies who vote early like me.

RayRay10 likes this.
  8. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Yes that will be interesting, it ill be the Gaetz and Hawleys trying to corral those guys, I think they will be much too fragmented to really move the needle.

RayRay10, dobro1229 and Dubious like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

I don't know why you think the majority country does not want Republican policies, if this was true Biden would be up by 10% in every state.

This is why the country is so divided if you don't think like me you are trash.

Progressives lost don't be sore losers build a consensus and win and being pissed off when things are not exactly like you want is not a good look.

RayRay10 likes this.
  10. biina

biina Member

Even the republican party echoes that they don't want a majority rules democracy. It is why the GOP does all it can to suppress votes. If their ideology and policies were popular, they wouldn't be losing the popular vote and trying their best to disenfranchise voters. The GOP is not popular.

11. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

I really don't think anything short of Trump getting caught in flagrante delicto (and video proof) with animals would move the needle on his supporters. (Especially if they were farm animals. "Well, it ain't a good look, sure, but he's gonna fight for us.")

Maybe if he forgets at tomorrow's debate to wipe off his coke mustache after getting into Junior's / Guilfoyle's stash? "It's flour....it's flour!"

RayRay10 likes this.
  12. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

The thing I like about President Trump is his capacity for introspection and self-reflection

13. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Trump does not snort coke!
    It's powdered Adderall.

And dexamethasone by injection.

I think his "superman" behavior lately is steroid induced... speaking as someone who has taken a lot of steroids. I have told my ENT "give me enough steroids and I can raise the dead" but I also told him " I would take them every day if it wouldn't kill me" ha

RayRay10 likes this.
  14. dobro1229

Or it’ll be someone with the last name Trump. Guaranteed Don Jr and Or Ivanka will run against the Hawleys or Gym Jordan’s. All of those clowns will be their own party. Who their crazy voters pick in that primary is anyone’s guess. I’ve heard Tucker Carlsons name too.

15. Reeko

Reeko Member

no he wouldn’t...they are called red states for a reason...when we look at the population as a whole, the majority does not align with Republican policies, that is why the GOP constantly tries to suppress the vote and acknowledges that the more people vote, the more they are fcked

the country is divided because Republicans have chosen party over country...they even make simple things like wearing a mask during a pandemic a polarizing issue

those who supported someone like Trump or condoned him are trash, and that shouldn’t even be controversial

Why should I not be pissed off with the prospect of people who voted with Trump 80+% of the time potentially being in cabinet positions? If u aligned with Trump that much, u should be tossed in the dumpster out the back, not being vetted to serve in a Biden administration.

#5395 Reeko, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    RayRay10 likes this.
  16. Dubious

Dubious Contributing Member

Well our divisiveness isn't as bad as 1860 and Lincoln chose a "Team Of Rivals ". It could be conciliatory if there were any competent statesman on that side.

17. geeimsobored

geeimsobored Contributing Member

Biden isn't appointing a Republican to any major cabinet role. All of the big cabinet positions like State, Treasury, SEC chairman, Labor, HHS, DoD, DHS, etc.. will go to Democrats. There will be a token Republican or two appointed to lesser roles (either major ambassadorships or more technocratic cabinet roles that progressives don't care about). There's a reason why both Bush and Obama appointed members of the opposite party to run the DoT. Its such a non-controversial agency that you really need a competent administrator more than a partisan because so much of that agency is just administering very dry regulations rather than major policy change. And in Obama's case, his Republican DoT secretary was responsible for a quite a few progressive reforms around transparent airline pricing. Ray Lahood is the reason why the airline industry is mandated to bundle taxes and certain fees into airline prices. He ran out of time to regulate add ons like bags and airline seat pitch. But all of that happened with a Republican running the agency.

Obama appointed a Republican to a major cabinet role (Secretary of Defense) and it was a disaster as he didn't get along with Chuck Hagel so I really doubt Biden is going to repeat that mistake. This is just going to be about restoring the tradition of having at least one member of cabinet from the opposite party.

18. Sweet Lou 4 2

Sweet Lou 4 2 Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

RayRay10 likes this.
  19. Reeko

Reeko Member

I do not want to see a lobbyist who voted with Trump 93% of the time or a guy who voted with Trump 80+% of the time in a Biden administration in any capacity. If u supported a president as terrible and corrupt as Trump, u simply need to go. U were complicit in the eroding of democracy and the destruction of this country. They all need to get purged.

Will Biden make the same mistake as Obama thinking that the Republicans are interested in bipartisanship when they have made it clear for years that they’re not?

#5399 Reeko, Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
  20. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I was just thinking last night that Trump's strategy of telling his voters not only vote in person on election day might backfire on him. While they vast majority of Trump voters will still probably turn out no matter what but if the bulk of Trump voters turnout that might cause backlogs at polling places. Also given that in MN and WI yesterday we got a few inches of snow already it's also possible the weather could be bad. That might be enough that a marginal amount of Trump voters don't vote in the battleground states in the upper Midwest.

RayRay10, joshuaao and jiggyfly like this.