1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. Live Rockets Discussion
    Jalen Green looks like a legit star, Amen Thompson is shining and the Rockets have found something without Alperen Sengun. Clutch is talking about the 10-game winning streak at 11:00am as we talk Rockets live!

Talking Rockets - LIVE!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. Nook

Nook Member

Luhnow is extremely shrewd, and yes he has to know that a lie detector isn't scientifically recognized. On one hand I am surprised he even agreed to do one, as there are a lot of false positives.... but on the other hand, if he knew he was guilty and they would find evidence; then roll the dice.

Having said that, I do believe that Luhnow is in many ways the fall guy. I think he at a minimum had suspicions... but I also suspect he did not feel bad about it because cheating has been rampant in baseball for as long as the game has existed..... hell I don't think this Astros group cheated any worse than those I was around, they were just smarter about it.

2. Nook

Nook Member

MLB doesn't anticipate a lot of things.... they assumed their press would play nice, the Astros would get their punishment and everything would go back to normal.

3. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

He kept mentioning them as separate because MLB explicitly exonerated him related to the trash can stuff (the report said he did not know about it), so he wants to clarify he only needs to defend himself about the video decoding scheme part.

Nook likes this.
  4. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

Mining the interview for tidbits actually related to the team, I found it interesting:

He didn’t mention Springer or Correa when talking about guys he was close to (he mentioned Yuli, Altuve, Verlander, and Bregman).

He mentioned Tucker and Whitley as guys he was proud of developing.

He indicated Altuve’s 2020 struggles were related to the scandal.

5. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Yeah, its clear they’re not fully in-step with the media that makes a living covering them.

Most leagues would have been out in front of potential issues such as this... and enacted action before a whistle-blower like Fiers goes rouge and decides to tell-all to an outlet that is coordinated by one of their on-field reporters for national games.

While I’m sure they loved commandeering all the media attention for a few days.... when it became entirely damaging, and then they compounded it by saying things like “its just a piece of metal” (regarding the trophy), its amazing that they’ve still managed to increase profits/revenues and continue to sign big TV deals.

raining threes and Nook like this.
  6. The Real Shady

The Real Shady Contributing Member

It certainly affected him mentally. If this caused him to struggle at the plate I'm worried how much it will affect him next season when there are opposing crowds taunting him constantly.

7. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

I actually do not think there will be “constant taunting” to the level that the media expects.

First of all, there aren’t that many ‘rabid’ fan bases in baseball. Within the Astros division, there are ZERO. Yes, noise will be expected out of NY (which is always vocal, no matter what the issue) and whenever the Astros play the Dodgers in LA again.

It could also be motivation to drive a team/player. This team was excellent on the road, with Altuve also showing better road splits... in large part for their ability to rise above the pressure.

Altuve excelling in the post-season I feel is largely due to the pressure of the situation finally getting close to what he was used to... vs. playing in empty stadiums, not having family around, not being able to get out of the hotel, etc. I would say all of that played a role in many ways as well as the initial “shock” of the scandal.

8. raining threes

Guilty people dont usually volunteer to take lie detector tests. Ask your self why Manfred turned down Luhnow's offer to take it.

How would you try to prove you didn't know. This isn't a court of law.

MadMax and AstrosRockets1818 like this.
  9. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Guilty people offer to take lie detecters all the time.

Don't you watch the murder channel?

10. raining threes

Nope, and not often people fool lie detector tests. Maybe 5% of the time and Luhnow was willing to risk his reputation? Doubtful

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

People often do fool lie detectors.

Don't you watch the murder channel?

Snake Diggit likes this.
  12. Redfish81

Redfish81 Member

I don't believe Hinch when he said Luhnow never talked to him after the memo regarding the Red Sox/Yankee cheating stuff was sent out by Manfred. No way in hell 2 weeks before the playoffs start is that not a major conversation around the batting cages considering those were 2 of the teams we were looking at beating to get to the World Series. The day the memo came out was the start of a 9 game homestand. Also, Luhnow said they did talk about the memo and in that conversation Hinch told him one coach was wearing an apple watch but stopped when they saw the Red Sox situation. However, Hinch failed to mention the trash can banging scheme.

Hinch didn't have the balls to stop it and didn't have the balls to tell Luhnow. I lost some respect for Hinch after hearing Luhnow.

Luhnow still deserved to be suspended because it was his job to know and MLB put the responsibility on the GM and coach.

AstrosRockets1818 and Nook like this.
  13. Buck Turgidson

Not so fast my friend!

Proponents say 90%, Critics say 70% or below.

https://www.apa.org/research/action/polygraph

eta: ...what reputation is Luhnow risking at this point? He can get a job on Wall Street or Silicon Valley later this week if he wants it.

#153 Buck Turgidson, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Snake Diggit likes this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

Isn't lying to your boss considered "cause"? What about being completely in charge of the production side of a billion dollar business , then helping to set up, encourage, and then turn a blind eye to YOUR EMPLOYEES' malfeasance. All the while completely ****ing up every PR opportunity provided to you.

MLB didn't fire him. Crane did.

Luhnow is either complicit or incompetent. And he's not incompetent. Tone deaf? yes.

#154 Buck Turgidson, Oct 20, 2020
  15. Roscoe Arbuckle

While they are inadmissable in a court of law, police detectives use them all the time to eliminate potential suspects.

gatsby, MadMax and raining threes like this.
  16. raining threes

If he failed he would be done in MLB. He had alot to lose by taking that test and failing.

17. Clutch City1993

Clutch City1993 Bury Me In The H
    Supporting Member

Seeing all this love for Mookie makes me think if Astros players were to move on from Houston the stigma would not follow them.

Are people forgetting Boston cheated in 2017/18?

18. jim1961

jim1961 Member

You make a good case that Hinch may deserve more blame than we have assigned him. On the other hand, I am hesitant to judge before I hear more of Hinch's side of the story.

I also don't take everything Luhnow says as fact. Nor can I with Hinch either, but I still want to hear his response to Luhnow's interview.

Right now, the whole lot of them look like liars, or at the very least, concealing important truths.

I don't know about Hinch's chess skills, but we know Luhnow is a skilled strategist. Don't anyone think what ever he is saying or doing isn't playing into something he has thought out thoroughly.

#158 jim1961, Oct 20, 2020
    TWS1986 likes this.
  19. J.R.

J.R. Member

"Luhnow and Hinch should have known. It's their job to know! No excuses!"

"Repeat offenders Boston Red Sox & Alex Cora should not have known! Rogue video intern doing it on his own!"

"I do not find that then-Manager Alex Cora, the Red Sox coaching staff, the Red Sox front office, or most of the players on the 2018 Red Sox knew or should have known that Watkins was utilizing in-game video to update the information that he had learned from his pregame analysis. Communication of these violations was episodic and isolated to Watkins and a limited number of Red Sox players only."

#159 J.R., Oct 21, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 21, 2020
    gatsby, msn, BigM and 2 others like this.
  20. blackistan

blackistan Member

Any reason he chose to do this with a local station rather than going to a national sports network?