1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Polish the Turd Contest

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Dankstronaut, Oct 20, 2020.

1. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

Exactly. Accept it. Don't cry about it. Tilman is a cheap. Like it or not. I want to win but not at the cost of some dignity, holy ****. Tilman is a just a rich emotional women with demands but can't even back them up with cash. He should have never relied on that China money. Tilman seems like a douche who don't even like Chinese people or people of Asian descent, but wants their money. GTFOH That was Les's deal, he drafted Yao. Rockets put in the work to build bridges but not only did Rockets benefit from it the league as a whole did. Consumers are always fickle . We should be more worried about the NBA bending to the will of China. Last I checked Tilman hasn't won anything either. Too much of Tilman's money is in flux. He shouldn't own a NBA team.

Caesar and payaso like this.
  2. joshuaao

joshuaao Member

Ok I'll do my best.

Players
    1. Westbrook looked great once we committed to a 5-out system in January. His poor playoff performance can be attributed to covid / rushing back from a quad injury.
    2. Harden has been great in two straight playoffs and there's nothing to suggest he won't play at an all-NBA level next year.
    3. Covington is the perfect free safety in our defensive system and in his prime
    4. PJ is PJ - getting long in the tooth but he's young in NBA years and is solid as a rock
    5. Gordon - hopefully we can use his salary to get another overpaid but useful player (like Al Horford)
    6. Massive decrease in league-wide revenue will result in lower cap. Lower cap means less teams have money to spend on free agents. Our MLE becomes more attractive to mid-tier free agents (please get a big!). Also makes it easier to re-sign guys like Jeff Green and Austin Rivers
    7. The return of H-town legend Gerald Green

Philosophy / Coaching
    1. This past year showed the effectiveness of a 5-out system and a switch-heavy defensive system, but we need some variety / counters
    2. The new regime should be more willing to diversify the offense - more regular Harden post-ups and mid-range shots to mix things up. Less confident in this if Lucas ends up being the coach
    3. New regime will likely have quality bigs to play - running 5 wings works at times but is draining over the course of a season
    4. Morey was a marked man the moment he sent that tweet. He leaves behind a team of smart decision makers that can continue to execute upon his vision without all of the baggage he now brings

Plowman, Easy, hakeem94 and 4 others like this.
  3. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

F^ck China - the state (mobsters), not the people. They pretend to represent the people - they’re no different that N. Korea. At least the N. Korea don’t pretend to be nice. They know they’re assholes.

4. alethios

alethios Member

This turd was polished when we were locking down on defense, grabbing rebounds and players not named James Harden were making their threes. The x-factor in all this is having players who can shoot and make shots consistently aside from Harden and the number of turnovers committed especially by our two top players.

5. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

I want to try:

Last I checked, we have a team with two former NBA MVPs, one of whom was in the mix for another award this last season. Harden adds something substantial to his game in every offseason -- we can expect another upgrade, possibly growing a foot of wingspan and having a new killer instinct the likes of which we've not seen since Jordan. Free agents who may have been wary of Mr. Assets Maury will now finally flock to playing with Harden and Russ. Also, we will hire a hungry new coach who will preach all sorts of new team defensive principles while promoting constant motion on offense. Add to this new, startling uniforms that harken back to ketchup and mustand, along with a widely available COVID-19 vaccine pioneered in the Houston medical center, and the Toyota Center will be rocking and rolling like it's 1995.

I don't really believe a word of that, but it's kind of a fun game.

6. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

7. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Thanks for playing!

It's not like this isn't a great team. Change is a good thing. The free agents thing is actually kind of a point, even through the heavy dose of sarcasm.

don grahamleone likes this.
  8. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

This is how turd polishing should look. Wonderful job! That's positive spin on everything people b**** about.

I'll try. This one goes out to @Derp McFlopsky :

Harden is gonna figure out that the way you win in this league is to take what the basketball gods give you and plow forward anyway. His attitude will be contagious and suddenly the "right pieces" that he's always thought he needed.. will already be surrounding him. Whip, clip and chip.

9. sirbaihu

sirbaihu Member

Collectively, we've spent years of human life worshipping millionaires who would never want to hang out with us. Now, we have an excuse to stop doing that.

hakeem94 likes this.
  10. fattz

fattz Member

11. Will

Will Clutch Crew
    Supporting Member

I just saved a bunch of money on my car insurance.

12. Rokman

Rokman Member

Here's a polish for you.

Rockets have James Harden and no other team does.

That's about as shiney as it gets.

13. hakeem94

hakeem94 Member

being a fan is not about winning the championship... its about following a team and cheering up on them... its about giving...

14. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Determination is a crazy thing. Everyone's got it though so it's gotta be pure! Harden adds mamba mentality to his game a lot of things will start falling into place.

don grahamleone likes this.
  15. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

I heard Deke, Yao and even Beyoncé were all interested as minority owners, would have needed 2 more zeroes.

Caesar likes this.
  16. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

It's the same for you but not the same for me.

NK has exactly one big family tree the Kims that can rule.

The CCP is a party with questionable leaders and some good leaders.

Xi and his backers do not seem to be good but his predecessor Hu Jing Tao was a moderate guy much like Bill Clinton, nothing spectacular but solid reformer.

Deng Xiao Ping in the 80s and 90s was also one of the good ones.

Just separate them from the rotten apples.

17. BMoney

BMoney Contributing Member

With the championship window closing and Harden's departure next year, I will have more free time to devote to my family and friends.

18. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

IMO, there are two player constants/constraints going into next season:

-Russell Westbrook will be our starting point guard
    -James Harden will be out starting shooting guard

Anything else can happen to anyone on this team. The first order in polishing up this turn of a team is to get a damn starting center, specifically one that can shoot the 3 ball. This isn't because I'm all in on jacking up 100 3s a game; it's because I want to see Westbrook operate within the paint, exclusively, like he did pre-bubble. We have a credible 3 point threat at center then defenses won't/can't sag off of said center and clog up the driving lane for Westbrook. Aron Baynes, Christian Wood, Isiah Hartenstein...I don't care at this point as long as the dude is tall and can hit 3s.

Next step in turd polishing is to find a buyer for Eric Gordon. Sure he's our 3rd best offensive weapon (and maybe 2nd best on some nights) but you have to crack a few eggs to make an omelet right? We need more average depth on our bench and moving Eric for quantity is the best and only way. Tag him with an unprotected 2nd Rounder and send him to the Pistons who can absorb his entire contract and send us back a $16 million trade exception. Use said exception to take on contracts from teams that are going to pay the luxury tax.

Spencer Dinwiddie (Nets) at $11 million, with one year left in 21/22
    Daniel Theiss (Celtics) at $5 million, expiring after 20/21; opens up PT for the Time Lord with Kanter being the back up

Now you got:

Starting Center/Theis
    Tucker/
    Covington/House
    Harden/McLemore
    Westbrook/Dinwiddie

This makes Rivers expendable and if he doesn't opt into his last year that's fine. We can then bring back Jeff Green as the back up 4.

Starting Center/Theis
    Tucker/Green
    Covington/House
    Harden/McLemore
    Westbrook/Dinwiddie

Dankstronaut likes this.
  19. Dankstronaut

Supporting Member

Nicely done. Pretty well agree, would even be ok with Hartenstein coming back. Would be hilarious if he came back and blossomed into the 3 point shooting center we desperately needed last year. Definitely wondering where Austin Rivers views himself right now, not so sure I expect him to be back for the Rockets next season. He's been a good player for us but idk...I think we can also use his contract in sign/trades if he agrees to them right? Not that you'll get anyone to max him out but could be a way to offer a little more than we thought possible.

20. MorningZippo

MorningZippo Member

Wow. The Chinese populace banned from this website by their government couldn’t have sounded better. Great job.