1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Hunter Biden Hunter Biden introduced Ukrainian businessman to VP dad

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by basso, Oct 14, 2020.

1. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So you think the emails are valid until Joe Biden addresses them?

Most people think they are fake because

The story is so far fetched.
    The FBI has had the laptop for almost a year.
    This has Rudy and Steve Bannons stench all on it.
    Because the emails are not really saying anything.

Yet you need Joe to speak on it?
    Sounds like you might just have an issue with Biden yourself.

2. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There is no evasiveness he is just ignoring the whole thing.

3. durvasa

durvasa Contributing Member

I have given my reasoning already why I think the emails are not complete fakes. This shouldn’t be a controversial view — mainstream reporting on this has been that Russian strategy is often to release real and fake documents together.

4. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Emails can be obtained through hacking. The chances of obtaining someone email from hacking is much greater than from someone physical hardware.

Good misinformation mix truth with fake to lift up the fake and confuse people.

I can think of one good reason - Biden talking about it means more coverage for it. This is very important for a subset of Trump's crowd but not so much for anyone else. As soon as Biden talk more about it, chances others would engage. Let it sit in its own corner but let's not engage it for risk of it spreading out. I'm not saying that's the best approach but it's a good reason. So far, I think it's the right bet.

You are likely right that part of the email is true. Those sprinkle of truth does not mean there is any truth to the debunked conspiracy theory.

vlaurelio likes this.
  5. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Simple question.

What dirt should be examined?

6. durvasa

Any suggestions in the emails that Joe Biden was benefitting financially from these deals, and the extent to which that can or may in the future affect his policies with those countries, should be examined. Much of that work should be done by actual investigative reporters. Most of us don't have the ability or resources to really investigate it. I'm not saying it deserves a lot of time spent on it. An investigation has already taken place that turned up nothing. But if there is potentially new information, then reporters should follow up on it. This attitude of "It's all just Russian disinformation, and we shouldn't lend it any credence" is not a good one for an actual independent news media.

Edit:
    To supplement my point. See this article from Politico:

https://www.politico.com/news/2020/10/19/hunter-biden-story-russian-disinfo-430276

The headline is: Hunter Biden story is Russian disinfo, dozens of former intel officials say

The actual letter says:

It is for all these reasons that we write to say that the arrival on the US political scene of emails
    purportedly belonging to Vice President Biden’s son Hunter, much of it related to his time
    serving on the Board of the Ukrainian gas company Burisma, has all the classic earmarks of a
    Russian information operation.

We want to emphasize that we do not know if the emails, provided to the New York Post by
    President Trump’s personal attorney Rudy Giuliani, are genuine or not and that we do not have
    evidence of Russian involvement -- just that our experience makes us deeply suspicious that the
    Russian government played a significant role in this case.

This is bad. The headline is making it appear that intel officials are making a definitive statement about this being Russian disinformation, and that's not what their statement actually says.

#806 durvasa, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Astrodome likes this.
  7. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

There are no suggestions in the emails that I have seen, so again what should be addressed?

Do you not think CNN or Fox is not doing those investigation or any of the flagship papers.

You are greatly inflating what most are saying about it being Russian disinformation, most are not lending any credence because of the batshit crazy way this story started.

What do you think of the fact that Fox news turned down this story?

I have no idea why you think investigative journalist are not doing research still, they would love to break the Biden dirt story.

It's amazing that you want all of these resources poured into this when you can't even say what email has dirt.

So I will ask again what exactly different should they be investigating?

8. vlaurelio

vlaurelio Contributing Member

yeah and good thing 60% of the country don't just read headlines

9. durvasa

So, what are they researching, if there's nothing there to research?

The emails allege that Biden had greater involvement in his son's business dealings than he has admitted publicly. Whether that's something that should be a real concern or not, I can't say. Whether the emails themselves are credible or not, I can't say. That requires investigation. Which you say is taking place. Good.

10. durvasa

If I had to guess, I would put it at higher than 60% for the vast majority of articles people see in their news feed.

11. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

So now you are gonna be cute.

How about you actually state what those emails are that allege greater involvement.

You keep talking about these emails what is exactly said in them.

I see you just ignored the Fox question.

Its hard to actually investigate when Rudy will not turn over the actual laptop or hard drive.

12. durvasa

I'm only familiar with the contents of a few of them. One purported email is mentioned in the original article -- a potential meeting between Joe Biden and a Burisma exec. Another purported email was that Hunter Biden was that some sizeable quantity of money from business with a Chinese company was to be held by Hunter Biden for someone who is supposedly Joe Biden.

What this means, if anything, should be investigated. Do you really have a problem with that?

On your Fox question --it means there's enough doubt over the story for it to be not worth publishing shortly before the election, especially in the uncritical manner in which it was published by the NY Post. I think that's very likely true.

#812 durvasa, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
  13. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How is a potential meeting between Biden and a Burisma exec dirt.

Can you link to this 2nd email? Thats a whole lot of purported and supposed going on.

It seems you are invested in giving these innuendoes a lot of weight.

14. Pistol Pete

Pistol Pete Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

If only the "big guy" would confirm if that was Hunter's laptop and his e-mail.

Astrodome likes this.
  15. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

It should be, and to a degree has been. They should absolutely do everything they can do to find out if they are authentic. If they are, then you go from there.

durvasa likes this.
  16. durvasa

It could be nothing. If you don't think the word "dirt" is appropriate unless it is definitive evidence of wrong-doing, I'm fine with that. Pick a different word for it. My point is simply that I don't assume it is nothing simply because of alleged Russian involvement, and the news media shouldn't either. Seems like you agree with that, so what are we really arguing about?

https://www.foxnews.com/politics/hunter-biden-china-email-source-verifies

I'm invested in not ignoring things just because they are politically inconvenient to people I support or politically convenient to people I don't support.

Astrodome and FranchiseBlade like this.
  17. heypartner

heypartner Contributing Member

regarding this point: the Biden campaign did respond 5 days ago to that. One email was a thank you for arranging the meeting. Biden campaign said they went through his schedule of that time, and no meeting occurred. So that's their response.

jiggyfly likes this.
  18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

How can anybody actually think this is cause for an actual investigation into Joe Biden.

One of the people on an explosive email thread allegedly involving Hunter Biden has corroborated the veracity of the messages, which appear to outline a payout for former Vice President Joe Biden as part of a deal with a Chinese energy firm.

One email, dated May 13, 2017, and obtained by Fox News, includes a discussion of “remuneration packages” for six people in a business deal with a Chinese energy firm. The email appeared to identify Hunter Biden as “Chair / Vice Chair depending on agreement with CEFC,” in an apparent reference to now-bankrupt CEFC China Energy Co.

The email includes a note that “Hunter has some office expectations he will elaborate.” A proposed equity split references “20” for “H” and “10 held by H for the big guy?” with no further details. Fox News spoke to one of the people who was copied on the email, who confirmed its authenticity.

Sources told Fox News that "the big guy" is a reference to the former vice president. The New York Post initially published the emails and other controversial messages that Fox News has also obtained.

So they confirmed its authenticity but not that the big guy is Joe Biden?

19. Astrodome

Astrodome Member
    Supporting Member

Were all of his meetings part of an official schedule? If so, then that's that and this is a non story like the media is saying.

20. LongTimeFan

LongTimeFan Contributing Member

The Kavanaugh approach