1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Luhnow Interview on Sign Stealing Scandal

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by marks0223, Oct 18, 2020.

1. raining threes

He was willing to take a lie detector test and sleaz ball Manfred turned him down. Meanwhile a judge wants to release MLB/Manfred's investigation results of the Yankees cheating and it's still tied up in court. The truth about Manfred's sleaziness will come out soon enough and I hope his seat gets hot enough he has to resign since I'm betting he was part of the coverup.

#101 raining threes, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  2. mikol13

mikol13 Protector of the Realm
    Supporting Member

3. RKREBORN

RKREBORN Member

Are gonna ignore how hot the reporter looked?

4. Nook

Nook Member

Essentially what was said in January .... he took the fall for ownership and everyone else.

I don’t own the Astros and will never have that kind of money... but if I did own the Astros I would have paid Luhnow his contract in full, kept in touch and brought him back after a year.

5. AstrosRockets1818

Agreed. Jeff is the best thing to ever happen to the Houston Astros.

itzIce, TWS1986, htwnbandit and 4 others like this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

So basically Luhnow's position is that he was just the lowly General Manager of the team, and he wasn't really involved in public relations, conversations with the owner, the entire analytic department that he set up, conversations with the manager, conversations with the coaches, players....He apparently just sat in an office, twiddling his sliderule, out of the loop and oblivious to everything.

Invisible Fan, MadMax, awc713 and 8 others like this.
  7. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I was hoping for guns blazing and Rob Manfred getting deposed under oath. Instead, it looks to me like opening salvos in Luhnow’s inevitable wrongful termination lawsuit.

Crane will settle for a ****ton of undisclosed money, and no one will ever know the real truth, about how many other teams were doing what and when and how the Stros got scapegoated.

**** all of them. As a fan, I never signed up for any of this ****.

8. chievous minniefield

chievous minniefield Contributing Member

I’d say his position is, if you’re going to fire me for cause, you have to prove cause, and you can’t. So pay me my money, because I’ll never work again.

And I’d bet he’ll get paid.

raining threes likes this.
  9. raining threes

His position was that the emails proved his innocence and that he was willing to take a lie detector test to further prove his innocence and Manfred wouldn't agree to it. I can't wait to to hear Manfreds response. We probably won't get a response from that snake.

10. elrond

elrond Member

Interesting...I interpret that to mean the players believe the Luhnow clearly knew what was going on? Will be interesting if any of the players come out in his defense.

itzIce, awc713, mikol13 and 2 others like this.
  11. jim1961

jim1961 Member

I really, really hope this isn't leading to an off-season filled with lawsuits, counter-lawsuits and mudslinging between current and former Astros employees.

It is one thing to spend an offseason dealing with what MLB/MLBPA/Manfred did to us, its another, maybe worse than last year, to deal with the club fighting itself. What a horrible prospect.

Wonder what Hinch, when he finally speaks up, has prepared to put on the fire? Water or gasoline?

--- ---- ---- ---- -- ----- ---- -- -- - --- ----- --

I was just getting used to the idea that the healing could begin :(

12. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Do you remember Crane’s first major press conference post scandal at the beginning of spring training? And what a cluster**** that was? Crane is the owner and he let some clueless PR person guide him into that unmitigated PR disaster.

Hank McDowell, raining threes and msn like this.
  13. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

I dont think any thing came out that was that bad... jeff is trying to throw the blame on Cora and im fine with that

14. jim1961

jim1961 Member

15. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

I want to have that 150 page binder released.

16. lnchan

lnchan Sugar Land Leonard

Jim Crane is kinda of a war profiteer... so...

17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Not to mention
    https://www.chron.com/business/article/EEOC-report-assails-Eagle-hiring-practices-4526260.php

18. juicystream

juicystream Contributing Member

I think Luhnow is mostly full of crap. I absolutely love Lunhow as GM and very much appreciate what he did for the franchise and I believe his suspension had a lot to do with him being an arrogant ******* that most of MLB despised. That doesn't change that at best he was willfully ignorant to the cheating. And then to try and defend and defend his role in the Taubman incident. You read the statement. You were his immediate boss. It was your job to say something if you knew it was inappropriate. I was warned that the team was cheating, but not asked to investigate it. You were the head of baseball operations. It was your job to investigate those accusations. He's too smart to not know that, but arrogant enough to think it wouldn't matter.

I miss him, and I hate this will define his tenure when he clearly deserved a spot in the team's HOF, but it is what it is. I hope he can get another GM job one day if he wants it and I hope he is incredibly successful in that job (as long as it doesn't come at the Astros expense).

19. raining threes

He was willing to take a lie detector to prove his innocence and came up with the 150 page binder.

I wish after the interview Channel 2 would've had someone give Luhnow a lie detector test.

20. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

As a professional, probably clueless PR person, I'm sure he was properly prepped with talking points and likely questions; I'm sure they brought in consultants to help him pivot to subjects he was more comfortable with, etc. But prepping in a room with friendly faces is worlds different from taking live gun fire.

People just assume public figures are good at speaking publicly - few are.

No Worries likes this.