1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Not a single word about Morey from a single person within the NBA - China the true reason?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by AroundTheWorld, Oct 20, 2020.

1. AroundTheWorld

Supporting Member

Does the fact that no player or in fact anyone other than Fertitta has said a positive public word about Daryl point towards this actually being motivated mainly by kowtowing towards the Chinese? It's absolutely not normal to me. They tweet about any tiny thing, all the time.

The more I observe what is going on, the more it seems to me that Morey was the sacrificial lamb here, and the main motivation of all of this is that the NBA did a hush hush deal to appease the Chinese and recover the Chinese revenue. If so, all these hypocrites like Kerr, Lebron, Silver etc. within the NBA who constantly talk about social justice issues when it makes them look good, but let Morey hang out to dry for a harmless tweet are even more disgusting than I thought.

The evidence is there - they just allowed the NBA back in China, right? Can this timing be a coincidence at all?

There seems to be a policy that NOBODY from the NBA family, including players like Harden who worked very closely with Daryl for years and I assume are friendly with him, is allowed to state any positive public word towards Morey, and everyone is complying.

The more I look at this, it seems to me that this decision was actually made last year - they didn't want to kick him out of the NBA at the time, because that would have made them look bad, so the agreed compromise was that he would "retire for personal reasons" after this season. The timing was chosen to minimize public attention to it. And some journalists seem to be in on it as well, pushing the official storyline.

Last year must have been incredibly difficult for Daryl.

Business first, freedom of speech last.

After reviewing the situation, it makes me soften my perception on Frittata just a tiny bit, because it feels to me like this was an NBA decision, not a decision by the owner of the team.

malakas, coachbadlee, jjc1 and 13 others like this.
  2. baller4life315

baller4life315 Contributing Member

But he’s not retiring. You might be overthinking this. I live halfway across the country and I’m the furthest thing from an insider, but I think it’s exactly what is being advertised.

After 14 years, and likely being motivated by working under the constraints of a cheap owner that just alienated his head coach, DM just wants to do something else now. Recognizing that “the window” is closing was probably another motivating factor.

I’ve read a lot about this since his decision, and I’ve always gotten “time to move on” vibes. Not that this was motivated by some sort of conspiracy to appease China. If we somehow upset the Lakers and made a serious run at the Finals, I think he would still be here. The China situation seemed very survivable (as annoying as it was).

3. s3ts

s3ts Member

Obviously I'm not an insider... But I feel pretty confident in saying Morey is going to find a job somewhere else. People would be stupid not to hire that man. Transitively, I believe Tillman is why Morey is stepping down. Probably also why MDA left.

4. HP3

HP3 Member

More just talked to Jackie MacMullan a few weeks ago and said she didnt get have any indication from Daryl that he was leaving. At least the way Morey was talking to her made it seem like she was staying. I dont believe that Morey would just move on like this. He's too competitive.

5. HP3

HP3 Member

Also.....why is Harden so silent on this. He has not said a word man. He posted IG picture when Mike was leaving but not even a word for Daryl? Nothing for Daryl?

6. Jontro

Jontro Member

no doubt something wrong with the nba. sturn had started the money-above-everything culture, which silver seemed to have kicked into overdrive.

what does brabra have to say about this?

Invisible Fan likes this.
  7. scolandry1

scolandry1 Member

8. s3ts

s3ts Member

Yeah, but it'd be Tillman nonetheless if Morey finds another GM job at another franchise.

If Morey retires, then you and OP are more likely to be right.

sushimaster, Yung-T and Rudyc281 like this.
  9. HP3

HP3 Member

No, I agree. I dont think there is a thing we disagree about. I think Morey will be back in the league and that Tillman is a trash owner.

10. rockets1995

rockets1995 Member

The Texans and Deshaun Watson need Jeff Luhnow or Daryl Morey.

Jeff Luhnow knows to build Teams through the Draft. If he hires better a better Scouts with Analytics. The Texans cam improve the Team woth better Players.

Pringles likes this.
  11. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

[​IMG]

12. DaBeard

DaBeard Member

It is strange not one of the Rockets players posted any tribute or farewell on social media

13. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Another economic aspect.

https://www.rt.com/business/503968-china-billionaires-fortunes-record/

Yung-T, Rudyc281 and jevjnd like this.
  14. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Morey is awesome and Hong Kong rockets fans are awesome

15. Jontro

Jontro Member

Rudyc281 and daywalker02 like this.
  16. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

I
    It’s definitely true that China has more wealth, but it seems concentrated. Most Chinese aren’t that wealthy and really, how much money are just the few who possess said concentrated wealth going to spend on the NBA? They won’t fill arenas, so them buying TV packages is going to do it? If that’s what the NBA is thinking, I’m not sure I see it. Maybe the advertising dollars are where it comes from as opposed to things like merchandise.

D-rock, Rudyc281 and daywalker02 like this.
  17. jevjnd

The NBA does have a lot to worry about these days, doesn’t it? That is a bit strange that no one has said anything. Let’s hope that’s not the case. I don’t think it is, but I’m sure it weighed heavily on Morey’s conscience when people like Lebron spoke out earlier saying that he should be penalized. It’s easy to wonder about it, but it seems like one of those things we’ll never definitively know.

D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  18. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

Was contrasting Tilman's personal situation.

I mean hospitality area is going to suffer under Covid, he is not Bezos rich obviously and a tech guy, got much to lose too.

In other news.

https://spacecityscoop.com/2020/10/18/colin-cowherd-explains-daryl-morey-left-houston-rockets/

There are reports that he isn't really gone until November so the organisation is really waiting to give statements till then.

#18 daywalker02, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Rudyc281 and jevjnd like this.
  19. jevjnd

Absolutely. I heard somewhere that he’s worth 8.8 billion, but you have to wonder how much of it is liquid. I wouldn’t know for sure, but it seems COVID would hit an amalgamation of businesses like his for north of a billion. He seems to run the team like he’s cash poor.

D-rock and daywalker02 like this.
  20. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

Media conspiracy

@os_trigonum

#20 Invisible Fan, Oct 20, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 20, 2020
    Rudyc281 likes this.