1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Poll] Blow it up or run it back?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Sweet Lou 4 2, Oct 18, 2020.

?

What would you prefer the Rockets do?

1. Try to make the WB-Harden combo work with a new coach and tweaks

2. Blow it up & rebuild

Results are only viewable after voting.
  1. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

Am I right that a clear majority of folks with longevity and many posts want to bring it back one more year rather than endure the usual wondering in the wilderness for perhaps a decade outside of the playoffs as frequently happens? I for one don't remember the Steve Francis years as my favorite Rocket's period.

Of course if we could have one of the relatively infrequent near instant rebuilds and sneak into the playoff in the next year or two and then have high draft picks year after year that would be good.

Scarface, Jayzers_100 and gotsis like this.
  2. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

I think the what they should and will do is run it back for one more year, and then blow it up. This is because we have our '22 and '23 first rounders. So if we blow it up next year, and acquire a high '21 pick in the process, then that will be 3 years in a row where we will have high picks. After those 3 high picks, we can try to acquire some vets and make the playoffs.

But if they found a way to blow it up now that returns a lot of great assets, then I'm ok with that too.

jim1961, Invisible Fan and jevjnd like this.
  3. jerryclark

jerryclark Member

I can already imagine all the classless braindead fair weather fans booing harden on his return when we trade him

Invisible Fan and saleem like this.
  4. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I don’t think blowing it up is a solid plan unless a) you can rebuild by 2024 b) Harden won’t sign a max extension. Even with that they need to wait until next offseason to trade him.

You guys are all failing to realize that we would be getting late first round picks for Harden because wherever he goes they will succeed.
    We don’t have a 2020 pick. 2021 we have a pick swap. So right away, there is a reason to not tank in 2021. We need to be better than OKC.

look into the future. 2024-2026

1)No pick 2024
    2) pick swap 2025
    3 no pick 2026

So being bad during those years will get us nowhere.

Best move is to either go all in this year and tread water with James until 2025-26 or blow it up next offseason if it fails miserably and hope to rebuild completely by 2023-24 with assets from the Harden trade and draft picks in the following two seasons.

to reiterate. Tanking this year is not feasible and everyone advocating as such is failing to see how ****ed this situation is.

5. 1Deep

1Deep Member

I hate to admit it but it's time to blow it up and start over.

I don't see a way to a championship in the next 2-3 years.

albuster likes this.
  6. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

Well, in terms of reality, Fertitta is never going to blow this team up if it still has a James Harden that can carry a team to the playoffs (even as an 8th seed) by himself. So if Harden's rumored ultimatum is true--if Russ goes, he goes--then Fertitta can still enjoy postseason games courtside for the next few years.

In other terms, yes, this team has definitely seen its peak and has ran its course. We have no draft picks to use to make trades much less actually use them to draft young players to develop. We have no cap room to speak of. We don't have any tradeable assets that could bring us even relatively equal value for the player you're shipping out. With all of that said, I wouldn't be surprised if Tilman had Stone strip the entire team down to only Harden, Westbrook and a bunch of no name players and/or rejects just to stay under the luxury tax.

saleem likes this.
  7. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Jaylen Brown is only 23 years of age, Hayward is an attractive expiring. Celtics have picks in 2020.

treyk3 likes this.
  8. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

There should be a retool option. Move Westbrook for better fitting pieces. Maybe to New York or Philly or something. I know Harden doesn't want him gone but they key will be convincing Westbrook that it's the best for everybody so you have to send him somewhere he likes too. If he signs off on it Harden will too.

D-rock likes this.
  9. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

Not time to blow it up yet, Harden is still in his prime. Now, I'd def explore trading WB but only if Harden signs off (so probably not lol).

Once Harden is like 33-34, then that's when you get as much as you can for him.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Brown is one of Hardens closest friends.

Hayward, Kemba, Smart and Tatum + 2 firsts for Russ, EGo and Harden. Who says no?

11. napalm06

napalm06 Huge Flopping Fan

Tilman can't afford to blow it up and I mean that genuinely. Take Tubby out of the equation and you still have an owner who bought the team at an absolute peak historic valuation. It will be a bitter (self induced) pill if missing the playoffs is required.

But im 100% on team blow it up. I dont want to sit here and read the shock jock Disney sports media pile on the players of this team that dont deserve it this season.

BleedsRocketRed likes this.
  12. Eleazucena

Eleazucena Member

Blow it all up, even the fans. Replace them too

Jayzers_100 likes this.
  13. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

Actually:
    Houston Rockets

2020 - To DEN

2021 - 1-4 Own; or least favorable of HOU 5-30, MIA and OKC and two most favorable to OKC (via MIA to PHX to PHL to LAC to OKC; via OKC swap of OKC or MIA for HOU)

2022 - Own

2023 - Own

2024 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to OKC

2025 - 1-10 Own; 11-30 Own or OKC (via OKC swap for HOU or LAC)

2026 - 1-4 Own; 5-30 to OKC

2nd Round Picks:

- To SAC

2021 - Own or swap for PHL

2022 - To CLE

2023 - 31-32 Own; or least favorable of HOU 33-60, DAL and MIA; more favorable of (i) HOU 33-60 and (ii) less favorable of DAL and MIA to MEM (via MIA to DAL; via MEM swap of DAL or MIA for HOU)

2024 - To OKC if HOU does not convey 1st round pick to OKC in 2024; GOS (via ATL)

2025 - To OKC if HOU does not convey 1st round pick to OKC in 2024

2026 - To OKC if HOU does not convey 1st round pick to OKC in 2026

dmoneybangbang likes this.
  14. Tristan_fiore

Tristan_fiore Member

I definitely think they should run it back one more year. There isn’t a reason to tank this year. Unless we are guaranteed to get a top 4 pick that is. Next year though in 2022, the Rockets own their pick and in 2023 as well. So that would be when they should consider tanking and trading Harden and Westbrook. Honestly though this season, they are going to have to move Eric Gordon at least in order to bring in some new blood and for more depth.

D-rock likes this.
  15. Haymitch

Haymitch Custom Title
    Supporting Member

Celtics say no. They are married to Tatum.

D-rock and treyk3 like this.
  16. treyk3

treyk3 Member

For what it’s worth. I’d do it if they took out Tatum and Kemba or Hayward and added Brown. Just would need an extra pick.

17. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

I would guess that Fertita wants/needs to make the playoffs.

Harden can provide that by himself, even with the worst contract in the NBA playing next to him eating up all the cap space, for a few more years.

It would likely take Harden forcing his way out.

My feelings

We can’t win a title with Westbrook on this team. I understand the people who are only about chips, I’m not one of them. I have greatly enjoyed the last decade plus of Rockets basketball. Competitive with stars and role players that have been fun to watch and root for even if we haven’t won it all.

Personally I don’t mind a few more years of watching Harden play for us, but it has to end sometime.

D-rock likes this.
  18. macan

macan Member

with current owner, even if we blow it up i still don't see us winning anything major..he can't afford big mac combo! let alone superstars..

D-rock likes this.
  19. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Give Harden one more year is my option. If he insists on keeping Westbrook then Rebuild.

20. Juxtaposed Jolt

I voted blow it up.

The Pelicans, Grizzlies and Suns are all on the upswing, and could be in playoff contention as soon as next season.

The 2 LA teams, Nuggets, Jazz, Mavs and Blazers will all be in the playoffs. The Thunder is a wild card because we don't know what they're going to do with CP3. So, that's 6 'for sure' teams, 3 'upswing teams' and the Thunder.

Haven't even mentioned GSW yet - with everyone healthy, they're a 'for sure' for sure team. The Rockets, as currently constructed, can't do anything.

Can't outshoot GSW. Can't out-talent either LA team. With Porzingis healthy, I doubt we could outplay Dallas since they have the closest version to a Harden.

It's tough. If we were in the East, I'd say run it back. But we're not.

albuster likes this.