1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Source: Harden will demand a trade if Westbrook leaves the team

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Eddie Cecco, Oct 18, 2020.

1. csc177

csc177 Member

Hardens rocket career is hanging by a thread. Dwight Howard got a ring before him - he’ll Demand a trade and go ring chasing pretty soon..like bard future soon..watch

This org is a dumpster fire...owner is a joke.

Crashlanded19 and daywalker02 like this.
  2. bmelo

bmelo Member

"
    John Lucas compiled a record of 173 wins and 258 losses in his coaching careerwith the San Antonio Spurs, Philadelphia 76ers and Cleveland Cavaliers.
    "
    Hell yeah lets risk last 1-2 years of peak Harden for good 'bro'

edit:
    To put it in perspective. His last coaching job was 95-96 philly with 18-64 record

D-rock likes this.
  3. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

For all the folks wanting to trade Harden for young players and picks, hasn't it actually been more fun to be in the playoffs every year instead of watching young players lose. Granted the NBA lottery and draft does become more interesting every year, though the playoffs rooting for against the top teams has less interest for me than watching the Rockets in the playoffs-even if they do not win the championship.

4. glynch

glynch Contributing Member

I know many here seem to always support traditional hierarchies and glorify strict disciplinarian father figure coaches as well as the billionaire owners against the players. However, how can many of you rail continually against Tillman, yet also go ballistic against Harden if he opposes Tilman or the coaches. Just perhaps Harden is what is keeping Tillman from say making us the team with the smallest payroll in the NBA.

Stephen_A likes this.
  5. daywalker02

daywalker02 Member

We want to get rid of Russell but somehow Harden intertwines his fate with that of his buddy..... that's a conundrum.

If Russell was Durant, most wouldn't trade him right now.

6. Yung-T

Yung-T Member

7. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

If I had a hand in the decision, I think we should try to trade Harden to the Warriors for Looney, Wiggins, Smailagic, and picks, including the 2nd overall pick year. With that, Have to think about taking Killian Hayes. Looney has valuable experience as a championship center that could help shepherd our young picks. Westbrook could then lead the team while Hayes develops since he’s so hard to trade. Wiggins could be a decent complimentary piece to Hayes, while Westbrook could heavily load manage so as not to hamper Hayes’ development. We could then go from there with the picks we’d have accrued from Golden State, while they could move Thompson to small Forward. They would thus keep their core intact and, at the same time, extend Harden and Curry’s careers. We would really only have Hayes to show for it, for now, but that might be an amicable ending for the end of the Harden era. He gets to content, and the Rockets go on with Westbrook, how own doing, and Hayes, who could be as worth it as can get. We shouldn’t believe that this will end well, so why not salvage at least that?

http://www.espn.com/nba/tradeMachine?tradeId=yympdnlv

8. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I didn’t know Pinocchio was a source

saleem, Stephen_A and Reeko like this.
  9. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

not my point man. I was talking about judgement and brought up Frank Vogel with mediocre seasons with pacers and then 2 bad seasons with Orlando. Hell MDA had a couple bad years with the lakers and His tenure with the Knicks was terrible and partly due to having bad or imbalanced rosters. Lucas had terrible sixers and cavs teams. But to call someone incompetent is judgemental. He was never even given more than 2 years anywhere while other coaches including vogel and MDA typically get 4 years to build their program and get the players they want. Think about it. Does the guy deserve another shot? Absolutely! On the other hand is this a formality or empty gesture to show the players and league they were considering a favored mentor and black Candidate? Possibly. At the end of the day Lucas deserves another shot. Just like anyone else in the league.

10. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

so you trade a generational talent top 3 guy in the league for nobodies and potentials? With no all stars in return? Why is everyone panicking and making irrational decisions? Was kobe ever traded? And the only time he considered leaving or the lakers considered moving him was when they didn’t have a talented roster. This rocket team is in contention. We played the lakers hard and were cheated in games 2 and 3 and danuel house debacle. So chill out. Relax. Breathe. Its not that bad.

saleem likes this.
  11. jevjnd

jevjnd Contributing Member

How did it end for his career? The point is that this team needs to rebuild and can’t. If him demanding Westbrook stay on the roster is true, where would you go from here.What would you do? This team doesn’t have the size or energy to be in contention anymore. What’s more, Harden deserves better. Everyone would win in the above scenario. You really want to wait for this team to completely age out? Looking forward to some good ideas from you.

12. treyk3

treyk3 Member

@Stephen_A

I’m going to lay this out for you.

A) Lucas was never a particularly good head coach.
    b) Lucas last was a head coach in 2003
    C) Lucas is 66 years old.

Those are all visible from Wikipedia. His best season he was eliminated in the second round. That was his first year as coach. The next year he was eliminated in the first round. His team got worse. That was the last season he ever coached a playoff team. 1994! 26 years ago. He was 40 years old the last time he was a head coach on a playoff team. There isn’t a coach we’ve interviewed that’s that young.

now. Let’s look at his Rockets tenure the last four years. I’m sure you’ve been saying, HEY HE KEEPS COACHING He is just NOT A HEAD COACH. Lucas has not been in game time decisions hardly at all in his tenure. His first two seasons he wasn’t even on the bench most the game. I literally sat next to him at games two seasons ago.

Now let’s say you’re someone who is only wanting a black head coach. That’s fine. I don’t believe in hiring based on anything but skill set in a coach but i understand that thinking. Stephen Silas is right there. He’s young, he’s smart and he’s ready to lead. You don’t give him the job this time he’s never coming back. Lucas will still be here. No one else would hire him.

next let’s be real. If the rockets make every right move and put out the best roster possible you are still looking at a 5% chance at a championship. Silas Or JVG probably boosts it a percentage and Lucas probably drops it a percentage. It’s not a huge difference. We aren’t looking at hiring Popovich. So with such a small chance at a championship and a small window, you want an underwhelming coach who is the oldest candidate? JVG coaches team USA D Team so he’s been working with young guys. Silas helped LeBron, Steph and Luka develop. And you want nearly 70 year old John Lucas to help develop young talent after the reset inevitably begins? Oh you want another coach? Nah we need stability. Can’t hire a one year coach and especially not an underwhelming one.

He is a great man and a great mentor but he’s literally the fifth coach on the Rockets. MDA, Turner, Gunning and Brase were all involved in game time decisions. Lucas was out chatting with the fans. This is like hiring Steve Nash without upside. Harden wants a friend as coach. His friend happens to be 66 and not that good of a coach.

#112 treyk3, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  13. steddinotayto

steddinotayto Contributing Member

I sorta believe this rumor because who else is James going to talk to when PJ's gone? Either Fertitta will have Stone trade him between now and next summer or PJ will leave on his own as a free agent.

"PJ, you're making, what, $7-8 million this season? How about we give you 3 years, $9 million for your next contract? That can still buy you a. lot. of. shoes."
    "You serious?"
    "No, actually it's 3 years, $3 million total. The other $6 million will be based on incentives. If we win one championship that's $1 million, we win back to back that's another $2 million. Threepeat? Add $3 million more buddy!"

14. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Then trade Harden. If all he cares about is Russ being on the team, then he clearly doesn't care about winning a championship. It was a good run, but clearly time to move on.

Yung-T, Crashlanded19 and REEKO_HTOWN like this.
  15. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

No one says this team is done except the media and people who buy into this concept. Morey screwed this team in the long term and had been for years and i agree we are not in a good position. But we are not the lakers with no stars or a capable roster. We still have pieces not named harden we can move. Why trade a star unlike any other and your marketability and attractiveness for scrubs? That makes little sense. And why would the warrior even need harden who not necessarily fits their style. Now if you throw in thompson and green it would make a littlw more sense but not much more. This knee jerk reaction assumes no other pieces can be moved or that we are not good enough to contend. But says who? You and i both watched the lakers series and we played well despite our height and was in reach of wining games 2 and 3 if it weren’t for referees and Westbrook injury rehab bad plays. Again chill out.

16. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

Good. Hope he makes it quick. All this franchise has done is pander to him. Done with that ****

Yung-T, Crashlanded19 and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

all this talk about James wanting to win but he’s never taken a pay cut like Curry, KD, Lebron, Wade to do it.

18. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

I never said want. I never said he was great. But to call a man I’m competitive is not right. To make all this noise and shout demeaning and harsh words against an experienced player and coach in this league who never got a consistent tenure of 4 or more years is not right and we need to check ourselves before rushing into judgment much like those including you who judged me believing i want him as the head coach. I want rockets to take a chance on Silas or a young mind the likes of Spoelstra or brad Stevens When they first started to come in change the culture and philosophy and win.

19. Stephen_A

Stephen_A Member

really don’t know where this 5% comes from. Are the lakers thar much better? I say no. Clippers? Bucks? No. So to me right now its wide open still barring off season big moves which im sure our team will be in the mix. The issue is some fans here like yourself only see negatively and not positively. Focusing on the bad instead of the good. That’s the difference between you and me. I choose to believe in our new gm and new coach and that we will make moves and be right there next year.

20. fattz

fattz Member

Let him pout and tantrum. If he stop showing up fine him. He will get over himself in time.

Trading Westbrook is the right thing to do if we can get anything in return.