1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official] Texans @ Titans

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Castor27, Oct 13, 2020.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball Contributing Member

1) Over 1/3 of Henry's carries today went for 2 yards or less.
    2) It's technically harder to run on 4th and short/goal than it is on 1st and 10 because they defense is more likely to stack up against the run.
    2) Don't ignore the possibility of them passing it. They did on the previous 2 pt conversion. By my count, there were 14 Titans passes today that were either incomplete, intercepted, or went 2 yards or less.

Probably not 40%, but the Titans were hardly guaranteed to convert. You still make them earn that IMO.

davidio840 likes this.
  2. davidio840

davidio840 Contributing Member

The average success rate for a 2pt conversion is 43% for those not understanding the logic behind the “just kick the extra point” argument. Making it an 8 point game was the wiser decision considering the circumstances/odds.

3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

What did he win? In 13 years? And I like Morey.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  4. Damion Laverne

I’d rather have Deshaun try to win us the game than rely on the defense.

Defense was gassed at the end of the game, so I don’t trust them to get a stop on a 2-pt conversion

This is Deshaun’s rookie year all over again

5. Mr Striker09

Mr Striker09 Member

I know we been doing solid on the offense side of the ball but im curious why David Johnson not being used in the passing game? Isnt that one of the pros of having him.

coachbadlee and raining threes like this.
  6. Texanstradamus

Kami missed an extra point so if he makes that isn’t it an 8 point game where they don’t need to go for 2 I hate this team sometimes

BigShasta likes this.
  7. banzai

banzai Contributing Member

We’re still traumatized from O’Brien’s crappy coaching. We could definitely use him especially when Watson starts to scramble. But, I’m no coach.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  8. JayGoogle

JayGoogle Member

Morey didn't know that much about Basketball either, wasn't even a Div III player or anything. I have no doubt he'd do well in the NFL. It won't happen so the conversation is pointless, but I think he'd thrive in this sport more because the NFL is more about building complete teams and less about superstar players.

Morey's ability to bargain shop in the NBA would shine and thrive in this league.

Give him a good coach and let him go. I'd love to see Moreyball on an NFL level. Finding gems for cheap is the name of the game in the NFL because the cap is so tough. I've always secretly dreamed Morey would GM the Texans. It would be so perfect here now since the biggest obstacle is finding a good QB.

But he no longer would have to worry about courting and schmoozing NBA superstars. Just draft well, scout well, build a team well.

#808 JayGoogle, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  9. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Didn’t agree with Romeo’s call but not blaming it for the loss either. The roster is simply a mess.

10. Major

Major Member

I believe the odds of success on a general 2pt conversion by decent-to-good offenses is close to 60% (and both of these teams were moving the ball pretty easily).

So by going for 2, the Texans give themselves an immediate 60% chance to win the game.

In the 40% of the time they fail, they still win if the Titans don't score a TD. In the scenarios that the Titans just went 80 yards in 1 minute, their odds of getting a 2 pt conversion are really high anyway (defense on its heels, exhausted, etc), so their odds are likely higher than 60% at that point regardless.

Everyone has to make their projections of odds of each thing happening (Texans converting, Texans missing XP, etc). But overall, I think if you do the math, you'll find their odds higher by going for 2 with most reasonable odds projections.

11. raining threes

Hopefully not, Watson blew out his ACL.

12. conquistador#11

Someone made the observation in the comments that since O'brien's departure #4 now has that C. He didn't didn't before. So I went through the rabbit hole looking for game. I then remembered #4 was supposed to throw a first pitch for another game 7 that we don't talk about then mysteriously had to cancel.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Let's assume he made the extra point. That makes it 24-21. At this point you have to suspend reality and assume everything happens the exact same way. Now on the Titans next score, they most likely go for 1 and assuming they make it, they lead 28-24. Now on the Texans next TD, assuming they make the XP, it's now 31-28. The Texans again score and it is now 38-28.

Do you really think the play calls offensively and defensively would have been exactly the same and the game wound have progressed exactly the same had the XP not been missed? We don't know what would have happened.

For all we know the Texans may not have scored again. Tannehill may have never thrown that interception.

raining threes likes this.
  14. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

Him and Duke should be used more in the passing game.

15. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

As much as I want to be upset about today's game I have to admit, they deserve props. They actually tried to win this game.

16. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Yeah I caught that this game must of missed it last game. And man does it look fire. I love it

17. mfastx

mfastx Member
    Supporting Member

As soon as they missed the 2 point conversion, I knew 100% the Titans would win. This is how the Texans have conditioned me to feel lol.

Crazy that this game was a carbon copy of some of Deshaun's rookie year games against Seattle and New England. Just need one stop with under 2 min and just can't get it done. Crazy the damage that BOB has done in those 3 years and we have nothing to show for it.

joshuaao and Kim like this.
  18. gucci888

gucci888 Contributing Member

Nah BoB doesn’t go for it on 4th down. I don’t blame Romeo for the call to go for 2 and think the biggest problem is simply lack of talent.

That being said, Romeo’s prevent defense has been an issue. It was an issue vs the Pats and Seattle that year, NO last year and now today.

19. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

It wasn't on his jersey for the Jags game.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  20. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Let’s ask Bill James himself
    https://www.billjamesonline.com/houston_vs_tennessee/

Major likes this.