1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Souces] We're not going to win the championship...Blow it up

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bleedroxred79, Oct 18, 2020.

1. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

- Tilman is cheap, arrogant and will embrace nepotism
    - Morey is gone
    - New GM will probably continune same philosophy
    - Lucas (#FML) will be the next head coach
    - Harden-ball only works in the regular season
    - Westbrook is on the decline physically and can't shoot
    - Tuck is older and wants an extention
    - Ego can't shoot and got an extention
    - No draft picks

- Lakers will continue to dominate
    - The Heat will come back stronger
    - Warriors are back
    - Clippers will be back
    - KD and Kyrie are back
    - Nuggets have a rising superstar
    - Celtics are legit

We need to sell high on Harden and trade Westbrook to New York. Harden IMO has proven he will never win a championship here. Love the dude but he's built for the regular season. Our philosophy is built for the regular season. We had 2 windows to win a championship...2009/2018. Both ended because of injuries.

OR

We can keep the core and replace minimum contracts with minimum contracts. Hope the team listens to Lucas. Go after Christian Wood. Roll the dice and pray for favorable matchups (playoffs) Shoot open-shots (midrange) and play lock down D. We have a two year window, max IMO.

I choose the former.

Tilman, unfortunatley will choose the latter ($$)

Morey walking away should tell us all we need.

2. don grahamleone

don grahamleone Contributing Member

You would have been screaming to trade Hakeem back in the day.

3. SoupTent3

SoupTent3 Member

I've been saying this all the time, blow it up. In it's present makeup, it's going to be more of the same, even with Lucas as coach. Tillman will learn, you have to spend money to win championships, especially if you want the elite players to come here.

4. bleedroxred79

bleedroxred79 Member

NEVER. Dream significantly raised his game in the playoffs and played with heart. A true champion.

napalm06, Roxfan4lyfe and Space Ghost like this.
  5. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

Don you my guy but how tf you gonna compared the two? There is no other scenario. It’s like gettting what you can from a failing business, you have to get some return

Roxfan4lyfe, bleedroxred79 and kjayp like this.
  6. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

i cant say i disagree with anything stated...

if its true that Harden only stays if WB stays - then it quite possibly may be worth cashing out for assets for a future run...

heck, maybe you keep WB for tanking... lol... i'd assume he's a negative value contract but maybe someone is starved for some star appeal... if he has a value - great, if not ride him through the tank years and eat the next couple years contract with the intent on making your move when it becomes expiring...

Really I think we can remain relevant - and have a punchers chance come the playoffs... but it'd take some tough love... and idk that Lucas would be the guy to administer it. So i think the coaching hire will be telling... if its Lucas - then we're just placating and have no real chance of improving... but if its JVG it means we're willing to take our medicine and get better... imo... lol

#6 kjayp, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  7. MaxRider

MaxRider Member

Tilman is not going to blow it up. He's keeping Harden and Westbrook. With both we are good enough for playoff. All he needs is bow down to CCP and he will make enough money from Chinese advertising.

banzai and amaru like this.
  8. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

The Rockets WASTED 8 years of a Dream’ s prime making dumb move after dumb move. Those late 80’s rosters were terrible. If it was today Dream would asked for a trade to LA.

split41, Rocket River, D-rock and 2 others like this.
  9. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

10. Le$$

Le$$ Member

Westbrook and Harden not bad team to be stuck with, still possibly could win chip if coached correctly. Retool roster meaning these 2 plus 10 new players.

Harden is highly skilled but when is the show boating and hero ball going to stop.

Even alot big players in league have stated he dribbles out the ball and trys to bail out by getting fouled then trying to run a good play to score. Pick n rolls? , Get people open? Harden is always dribbling out the ball and others need to get involved. They need new players and coaches who can run some damn plays. 3 or die is ****. Become a defensive team if you can't score.

11. Marteen

Marteen Member

It's a big brain move if Draymond Green supports the Rockets running it back, because he knows it won't be as fun knocking them out in the postseason again.

I'm not demanding they blow it up, but this is an aging roster with players near or on the wrong side of 30. I'm really afraid of coming back to this same discussion at this time next year.

12. dobro1229

dobro1229 Contributing Member

I for one will be surprised if Harden doesn’t request a trade in the next 12 months but I do not think the Rockets should trade him. There’s little upside to it, and there’s still a couple seasons you could get into the second round and maybe a WCF.

But realistically we all know Harden wants and deserves a ring while he’s still in his prime. The Rockets and us fans owe it to him if he wishes to leave then it’s about getting what we can for him to start a rebuild. But if he does want to be here another year we should embrace and enjoy it.

The biggest issue though is Westbrook who likely won’t be tradable without giving up everything you got with Harden to get off of Russ’ albatross contract. Not to mention that’s a ton of salary to ship out without having to take back ALOT of Jarred Jefferies’.

13. HP3

HP3 Member

LOL, once Harden goes to a team with an actual number 2, you will see who's the "true" champion.

split41 likes this.
  14. Rocket River

Rocket River Member

yes they would
    because it literally happened.
    People wanted to trade him for Rony Sicaly

So . . in 5 more years . . . .we will blow it up again . . . . then 5 more years. . . blow it up again .. .. . . etc etc etc

Rocket River

split41, don grahamleone and D-rock like this.
  15. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

/END reasoning

topfive and D-rock like this.
  16. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

You need a good GM and ownership to rebuild fast and successfully. We don't have that. So milk Harden (because you'll never replace that level of talent with our current management) and enjoy mediocrity.

Richie_Rich and amaru like this.
  17. topfive

topfive CF OG

I'm not ready to say Rafael Stone isn't a good GM, considering we haven't seen what he's capable of. Every great GM was a rookie GM at some point. Who knows, he could be a rockstar GM after a few years.

Tilman, on the other hand, has already shown us what he's capable of, and it ain't pretty.

Doctor Robert and D-rock like this.
  18. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Just because he's not Morey doesn't mean he's not a good GM. Hinkie was a better GM than Morey in my opinion. He knew that Covington and Wood were worth keeping around. Morey knew guys who could be good but was never willing to give them time except with Capela.

Morey has clearly the best eyes for filling in a front office though and that's what will be missed the most. A front office is the sum of its parts. It's more concerning that we've lost Morey, Rosas and McNair in such short time. The bullpen is deep but not deep enough to withstand that. Hopefully Tilman is as forward thinking on adding quality guys to the front office beyond the top gigs. Sounds like he just wants to put his kids in there as if they can replace these brilliant minds.

Stone may not be as popular as Morey but give him time. Hopefully he has time and he's not replaced before he gets a chance to make his mark. This is his life's goal, he's a basketball fanatic and an incredibly savvy man.

#18 treyk3, Oct 19, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 19, 2020
  19. Ramo$e

Ramo$e Member

This is not happening, at the moment! Maybe a couple of years from now. Tilman will collect every penny until Harden is past his prime. I'm sure Morey told him they way to go is through the draft but he will stretch this out as long as he can before he concedes. Tilman doesn't want what is best for the team. Tilman wants what's best for Tilman. I promise if Morey could trade Harden instead of leaving for a better situation he would have, and got the most. Tilman does not think like Morey. Tilman thinks Harden's name is what is going to make him money. Trading Harden without Morey is suicide. No team will rightfully give equal value knowing how Morey stole him.

20. DaDakota

DaDakota If you want to know, just ask!

I was at the end of his career - when he had clearly lost it.......got to know when to move on.....

If Harden is demanding Westbrook stay, time to move on.

DD

tycoonchip likes this.