1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALCS] Astros vs. Rays

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 11, 2020.

1. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

If we had to lose at least it’s not to the Dodgers. The trash talk would be unbearable.

RKREBORN likes this.
  2. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Rays honestly don’t really have any easily hateable players.

3. elrond

elrond Member

Yeah, that's more or less what I remember hearing as well. Doesn't really surprise me to be honest, and perfectly in character with what I expect Luhnow to have done. CFM is 37 this year, and as mentioned he had some injury issues the last year he pitched for us. I would have been happy to have signed him to what TB did, but it's not my money, and I tend toward the sentimental side for the players on our team. Hindsight is obviously 20/20, but I'm sure if we signed him and he had continued injury issues, there would be a contingent of folks complaining about it. Based on where our pitching staff was last year, and where it should have been this year, Morton is more of a luxury I think.

I'm good with TB winning the world series, CFM is still a favorite, and most of the others don't really annoy me much with the exception of that punk Diaz. No plans to watch any of the games though, I generally have a hard time watching sports games where I don't have a rooting interest. Just don't want the Dodgers to win. Still not sure what would be better...another WS with a loss, or not even making it to the WS.

TWS1986, cmlmel77 and BigM like this.
  4. John Harvey

John Harvey Member

Why is everyone automatically assuming Springer is gone? I’m sure he’d prefer to stay. Hopefully we can pay him what he wants.

lw17 and everyday eddie like this.
  5. Marteen

Marteen Member

At 31 years old, this is his first and likely last big contract he'll get in free agency. Can't blame if he goes to the highest bidder which the Astros aren't known of being.

6. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

At the same time, the Astros haven’t lost anybody they really desired/planned to keep... while giving very high dollar extensions to Verlander, Altuve, and Bregman when they didn’t have to.

7. seemoreroyals

seemoreroyals Member

I am still okay with a Rays vs Braves world series. Hoping the Braves will take care of business today against the Dodgers.

Back to our team. We overachieved to get as far as we did. It was disappointing that we had such a nonchalant effort to lose in game seven after winning three straight to get there. I am excited by all the young pitchers. It looks solid going forward. We were exposed for lack of depth in position players which was a strength for the Rays and gave them the advantage. We will be losing two thirds of our outfield more than likely. If we can get a decent back up catcher and acquire or develop another three or four pieces to add depth in the playing field I think we will be fine next year.

lw17 likes this.
  8. Victorious

Victorious Member

Not sure why anyone would want Springer who is a cheater, right? :rolleyes:

9. sealclubber1016

Supporting Member

Disappointing obviously, but after how we finished the regular season I honestly wasn't even expecting this much. Glad the guys at least showed fight.

Fact is that we lost this series when we let games 1 and 2 slip through our grasp. We outhit and outpitched them in 5 games this series, you can't expect to outplay a team as good as Tampa 6 times in a 7 game series. They made the plays that mattered and the final score is all that counts.

whiskeyred likes this.
  10. dc rock

dc rock Contributing Member

Me teaching my son how to deal with disappointment/grief after this heartbreaking loss:

But seriously, I was encouraged by this postseason run. The young pitching talent, Altuve finding his wonderboy bat again, Correa's leadership... I'm looking forward to next season.

#6450 dc rock, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  11. Alimoe84

Alimoe84 Member

Morton was surprised Tampa offered him 15M per season. And he told the Astros “If you can get to a certain number, I’ll stay.”
    But the Astros were unwilling and he left.

12. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

Agreed.

Things evened out in games 5 and 6 as far as the hitting goes, and the Astros pitching (both starting and bullpen) was really quite good... better than expected.

In the end, both teams pretty evenly matched and fitting it came down to a game 7... where the Rays did pitch better and came up with bigger hits.

13. Tomstro

Tomstro Member

Bregman was absolute trash.

the way he just failed over and over and over.

hard to stomach

14. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

WE'RE (not) GOING TO THE WORLD SERIES!

15. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Bregman was and Yuli too. You can't have two good hitters like that slump badly and still win a series.

lw17, roxallways and Tomstro like this.
  16. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Inside sauces?

17. jev5555

jev5555 ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Got some good sleep. Then I remembered .. Like WTF Bregman? WTFnF?

We got some solid pitchers, under control for awhile .. so that brings me hope. Springer and Brantley are likely gonna walk. We always knew this day was coming, where we just couldn't afford to keep everyone. I still like our chances next year. Got to get another arm or 2 and rid ourselves of Josh James. To better days ahead.

lw17 and TWS1986 like this.
  18. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Screenshot_20201018-085227_Chrome.jpg Yikes. Bregman is near useless for his playoff career. Look at these stats. Career 229 hitter. Not a small sample size either. 210 at bats. Geez. Yuli at a 236 avg is not that much better.

#6458 TWS1986, Oct 18, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 18, 2020
  19. marks0223

marks0223 2017 and 2022 World Series Champions
    Supporting Member

Scary thought if we lose Springer and Brantley. Bregman's bat would be even more crucial in future playoffs. Hopefully Yordon's production can actually exceed Brantley's in the DH spot.

lw17 and punkoholic like this.
  20. Surfguy

Surfguy Contributing Member

Has Bregman commented on his performance in this series yet? I’d like to hear from him. It’s part of the healing process.