1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

3 finalists are Stephen Silas, Jeff Van Gundy & John Lucas

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Tristan_fiore, Oct 16, 2020.

1. rockets13champs

He tweeted the same **** 3 times

saleem, treyk3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

If we hire Lucas ima be real close to being done with Harden. They better play their a$$3$ off.

If the players all want Lucas they better win a f$&@?!” Championship.

Hank McDowell, treyk3 and bmelo like this.
  3. treyk3

treyk3 Member

At this point I’m hoping for a hire out of left field or Silas. Feigen keeps alluding to the fact that there may be more interviews coming but everyone else is just running with this.

D-rock, rockets13champs and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. bmelo

bmelo Member

Comfort zone wont win you anything at the top level

AXG, D-rock and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. rockets13champs

If we hire Lucas I’d imagine it’s a 1 year deal

6. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Imagine hiring an NBA coach on an unprecedented 1 year deal. No coach worth ANYTHING would accept that. LOL.

That's the depth of dumpster fire we would be at.

7. rwienert

rwienert Contributing Member

I think Silas coaching this offense could be really interesting, D'Antoni's principles with some new wrinkles and innovations.

Deuce and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And......Post ups

9. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

While I would like Silas..then JVG then Lucas, I still think if we are going for a championship JVG needs to be first...
    Look, I dont like JVGs strategy, but out of these three he has the most experience and authority.

Lucas would probably be just a yes man and if we lose it all we need to start fresh, so Silas would be the first choice...

Hire Silas if we are going to trade Harden and Westbrook this year...start fresh immediatelly and focus on the next in house star

10. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Lucas = yes man
    Stone = yes man

Tilman knows what he wants

11. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Stone isn’t a yes man. He’s a dude who worked in the organization longer than Morey. He’s the guy who figured out how to trade for contracts and found loopholes and other ways to match CP3 salary in a trade. He’s brilliant and we have no idea how he’ll be as the lead guy. I don’t agree with throwing shade at him just because Morey left us. One thing we know from his resume is that he will be a great negotiator. That bodes well for future trades. Finding talent? I don’t know.

#71 treyk3, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  12. Tato1971

Tato1971 Member

With all due respect to John Lucas, I consider that thinking on him for the HC role as the beginning of the end for this franchise. One thing is that the players can give their opinion on the future HC, another very different thing is that the players decide who the next HC will be.
    The best alternative is JVG accompanied by an excellent offensive coordinator. If the option is John Lucas... we are doomed.

saleem likes this.
  13. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

It is one thing to negotiate, and another to find talent. So we'll see.

I believe it was Eli Witus that came up with the human trade exception concept for the NG contracts.

14. fattz

fattz Member

We need a great negotiator, much love to Morey but we have got our ass handed to us over the past couple of years. The extension and trades haven’t been good as of late. Sadly there isn’t much to negotiate with without tearing it all apart. We will see.

this is what being a Rocket fan is now.

15. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Sounds like it was split but Feigen says Stone was the force to sign Ben and Nwaba. That’s a good sign. Luckily they are both here still. Wish McNair was too.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  16. clutch citizen

clutch citizen Contributing Member

Exactly. Following the breadcrumbs, I've gathered that Stone was the guy that exploited the CBA. All the NG contracts, the sign-and-waive for g-league dibs, poison pill contracts, the Nene contract that ended up being rejected because it was too good of loophole, etc ... all that has Stone written all over it. Talent evaluation was Morey and the analytics department. Simply put, they probably worked together to determine best value in each transaction.

Here's a video of Stone discussing several topics. You can get a feel for his perspective and duties with the Rockets. One example that stood out to me was when he discussed the waive and stretch provision years ago. His loophole was that teams could re-sign the waived player. So he wanted to waive a player that was worth $10 million on a $10 million dollar contract. Then re-sign that player for $1 million. Now you've got a $10 million dollar player playing on a $3 million dollar contract. The NBA ended up revising the provision to cover that loophole on the fly. I probably butchered that, but you get the gist. He's the guy that maximizes competitive value for your dollar. Every cheapskate's dream employee. On a related note, Stone has been mentioned to be a favorite of Tillman.

watch all the Stone parts, but the loophole example I referenced starts around the 27:00 mark

#76 clutch citizen, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
    Rudyc281, treyk3, ElPigto and 3 others like this.
  17. D-rock

D-rock Member

Best way to get Harden on board after this **** show of an offseason, Tilly should beg MDA to come back.

Or just hire Silas.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. bmelo

bmelo Member

I can imagine Harden doesnt give a **** what not exprienced coach says unless its agreeing with him

19. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Basketball Rehab regurgitating @Codman's posts again......

Rudyc281 and D-rock like this.
  20. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

Good find on that video.

Rudyc281, D-rock and clutch citizen like this.