1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. D-rock

D-rock Member

Does Ivana or Jared Kushner have the requisite experience or skill to be special advisors to POTUS - to head Covid-19 task force or negotiate foreign policy/treaties????

Kushner was a real estate magnate. And Ivana was into clothes and jewelry.

Stephen Jones, Jerry Jones son, has no prior experience running any sports organizations let alone the most well known and highest value NFL football team in the world.

Nepotism is REAL.

#701 D-rock, Oct 17, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 17, 2020
  2. D-rock

D-rock Member

24 year old genius.

Got it.

https://www.sportsbusinessdaily.com.../People-and-Pop-Culture/Patrick-Fertitta.aspx

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. omgTHEpotential

Yeah, but even your scenario is very optimistic. We as Rockets fans took it for granted that we had an elite general manager. The most likely scenario is that when we amass those assets, our front office will simply **** it up. Or Tillman will continue to meddle.

malakas and MettaWorldPete like this.
  4. ReturnOfTheMac

It’s pretty evident with Morey out the door so is our championship window. No point in stringing this out any longer. Trade harden to a contender (maybe Philly and get Simmons and thybulle + a butt load of picks) , and flip Russ to NY
    finesse their desperate asses out of all their assets. Time to rebuild and hire Silas (young upcoming coach).

5. pahiyas

pahiyas Member

If after all these movements were made and done, and we are left with Westbrook as the main character, I'll be damned. I'll shave my bald head in frustration :mad::mad:

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

I remember hearing about Will Fuller and Hop and omenihu I believe not sure. But they where all working out at Patrick’s house this past off season.

It might not mean anything but it might also mean he could potentially be a huge recruiter for FA.

I mean he is a 20 something year old billionaire son. Who wouldn’t want that connection or have that resource within the organization.

D-rock likes this.
  7. hakeemthagreat

So you're taking a old Lebron post from 2017, and connecting it to a NBA bubble championship in 2020 post pandemic? Like they're somewhat related lol

YOLO= S-T-U-P-I-D-I-T-Y

8. YOLO

YOLO Member

Nah. You posted a bubble clip when I posted how wrong you’ve been previously to no surprise. I mean someone posted a bubble clip first and it wasn’t me. Apparently that logic doesn’t apply to yourself. But since you went there just thought I’d remind you who carries two trophies during that actual bubble. But you’re too dumb to get that per usual. You continue to snitch on yourself as a complete moron

#708 YOLO, Oct 17, 2020
  9. Doctor Robert

Doctor Robert Contributing Member

On a previous post I asked the question. I didn't make a declaration. All the links I've seen are still speculation.

I can invent 10 imaginary scenarios that describe our current situation.

Also, I've seen nothing about Patrick Fertitta... all speculation based on the fact that he's lucky to be a billionaire's son.

Everyone is just pissed that Morey is gone.

10. treyk3

treyk3 Member

Patrick is heavily involved with the Rockets. This isn’t speculation. He wants to be GM one day. He followed Morey around from the minute the team sold. I hope he’s a smart guy who knows how to allow a team to do the leg work but make no mistake Patrick will be a major part of the front office as long as Tilman owns the team. I don’t know that Patrick is an idiot and I don’t know that he’s a genius but I do know he is a major cog in the franchise. He’s close with the new GM too and I expect him to continue to learn the ropes.

Being related to someone who is rich or talented isn’t always bad. Ken Griffey Jr and Steph Curry show that nepotism doesn’t always result in a lesser product. Family run businesses are all over the place. Jeanie Buss learned to ropes and knew to get her brothers out of the picture. I’ll hope for the best but Patrick is part of the organization and will continue to do so until the team changes hands.

#710 treyk3, Oct 17, 2020
    FrontRunner, Rudyc281, jacoby and 5 others like this.
  11. YOLO

YOLO Member

you're being presented actual evidence including the article i posted. you just choose to ignore it. again it isn't speculation and actually old news

HP3 and D-rock like this.
  12. Doctor Robert

I agree... it's clear that Tillman wants Patrick to be in the front office and I see that reported all over the place. Is it specifically the GM position? There's a lot of front office positions that aren't the GM, and I agree that the resume for a GM is fairly unique and despite any aptitude for it, Patrick would have an extremely hard time doing it. Tillman may simply want his son following the guy with the highest IQ in the front office... as opposed to specifically the GM. If I wanted my son learning how to operate a basketball team, and simultaneously monitoring the business and reporting back to me, I think following Morey around would be the most logical choice.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Tilman and logic do not always go hand in hand.

Rockets have an emotional owner, he bought a team stacked with championship assets and potential but in 2 years it was all for naught.

14. J.R.

J.R. Member

Feigen:

(Where does this leave the franchise? Is this a franchise that is still playing or still views themselves with the expectations to win a championship or have things changed considerably?) This will sound like a cop out answer but to a degree, that's to be seen. We have a whole offseason to go, including finding a new coach.

They can't consider themselves contenders right now. When you lose in the 2nd round in 5 games and a 20-point deficit in 3 of the 4 losses, you're not a contender right there with the team that just beat you. You do have 2 former MVPs in the latter-half of their prime. They're still all-star players. They have things to work with. Their core is signed. But they have work to do and don't have a lot of assets to make this significant move to move back into contender status. Can they augment what they have? What is the vision of the coach they choose? Can they give him the parts he needs for his vision? We'll have to see how this offseason plays out.

(How should we remember Daryl Morey?) As we get more years removed from the disappointment of not taking those final steps because the Rockets just didn't fail to reach the Finals or win a championship, they first built fans hopes up and then disappointed them. A lot of teams, most teams, don't win a championship. The Rockets would only do that after leading their fans & themselves to think that they would. Right now, there's some scar tissue building up. Over the years, I think there will be a greater appreciation. In his tenure, they had the 2nd best record in the NBA behind the Spurs. He has the 5th best record of any GM ever with more than 1,000 games. They did go for it. Hiring him in the first place, Leslie Alexander making what was then a shocking & controversial move to hrie him was about going for it, willing to gamble.

In the end, they went all in for this year and if you go all in and lose, you get up and leave the table and he did. That's what it is now. In future years, we'll think more of the successes they had understanding that failing to win a championship isn't a mark that removes everything else. We don't think that of the great players who didn't win championships. ...

(Do you sense there will be an identity shift?) I wouldn't think identity will shift. Rafael Stone believes in the same things Daryl did but even if Daryl was back, there would have been changes to the roster that would have led to some changes from the latest incarnation of Moreyball. Their offensive system is different from at the end of Mike D'Antoni's 4 years than it was at the beginning. There is not one Moreyball. The basic part of it - best shots are layups, free throws, threes - will remain. How they seek to get them will depend on the coach & roster they put together.

Whether Morey returned or now that he has not, there would have been a center on the team. They weren't able to get it done right then. They still want spacing. With Westbrook on the floor, you don't want two non-three point shooters. If they could have found a center who could bring spacing, they would have. That's the same going forward. If they can, they will. They'll try to have a rim-runner center somewhere in their pocket. They might not play him for 36 minutes but they'll want to have the option if they can get that done.

(When you look at this Rockets team, is there any inkling with just blowing up this entire situation & doing an entire rebuild?) The blow it up and start over thing is not for this offseason. And the reason I feel fairly certain about that is they’re certainly keeping James Harden informed and getting his input on coaching discussions and considerations. You wouldn’t involve him if you’re planning to send them off somewhere. I don't see it for this year.

He has 2 or 3 years left on his contract, depending on his player option. We do know in this league when a superstar is heading into the final year of his contract, all the talk starts. Should they move him now before you lose him for nothing? That's not this offseason. That would be, at the earliest, next offseason. We'll have to see a lot of how it goes. Are they a contender next season and then that's a conversation they have to have with themselves but I don't believe they're having it now.

(Is there any particular coach that interest James?) James thinks the world of John Lucas, which you know, who doesn’t? And obviously working very closely with him for four years, he feels that way and I know Russ feels that way. The whole team does. He's John Lucas. He’s one of the icons of the league and a tremendous contributor for his work that he’s done with both just developing players - young players, professional players, want-to-be professional players and people who either have substance abuse or other issues. He's worked with so many people. Nobody develops relationships like Lucas.

I don't know that James has any history with Jeff Van Gundy. That's part of the conversations. Stephen Silas has a tremendous history for working with star players, getting along with, motivating, building relationships with stars from Stephen Curry to Kemba Walker to Luka Doncic. He's really good at that. Those are guys that right now look more like finalists. There might be others with history. Kenny Atkinson was with the team. David Vanterpool was in player development with the Thunder when Russ & James were starting their careers but of the finalists, that's about the most you have in terms of built-in relationships.

(Do you expect to see Daryl Morey somewhere else?) ... If I had to bet on something, eventually someone really goes after him as GM and he's back. I don't think it'll be soon. I don't think his career in the NBA is over.

#714 J.R., Oct 17, 2020
  15. D-rock

D-rock Member

16. HP3

HP3 Member

Its not speculative though? Im asking why does this 24 year old kid have a voice period? And its not small its big enough already. This is already a problem. Why is he in meetings period? He should not be following Morey around. He is most likely being groomed here and its disgusting. Its already been proven that he was a huge voice in the Westbrook trade so I already know that he's trash. I know his father is trash. Im not giving this dude with his scummy background at all. Im not gonna pretend like this situation isnt objectively crap, it isnt.

Everyone is pissed and rightfully so. There is no reason to cover for this clown. There is no argument.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  17. treyk3

treyk3 Member

That guy is a clown. He has new rumors every week that never come true. I think Mr. Newsletter is his Rockets source.

D-rock likes this.
  18. Deuce

Deuce Context & Nuance

BINGO.

D-rock likes this.
  19. Doctor Robert

Before I type this, I'd like to point out that I've said I don't like Fertitta.

I think you've made your point of view clear...
    Tillman Fertitta = Trash, even before he bought the Rockets
    Patrick Fertitta = Trash because he shares DNA with Tillman Fertitta
    Any decision by a Fertitta = Trash because they are all trash
    Any success of a Fertitta = Luck, and will likely be trash very soon

Morey said this was a decision about family, and that is the traditional cop out that politicians use, so we know he's lying. What we don't know is the actual reason he is leaving. Maybe he hates Fertitta for a reason you believe. Maybe he hates Fertitta for a reason you're unaware. Maybe he has heart disease and needs to get his health in order. Maybe he's depressed because the Rockets, which he built and was the purest expression of his philosophy on basketball, lost in pathetic fashion to the Lakers and the only explanation he can see right now is that he was totally wrong, so he doesn't want to face the process of fixing it when the entire world wants him to lose and makes it known on a daily basis by blasting numbers-guys on national sports TV. Maybe he's depressed because every time he gets close to winning it all, there is a ridiculous injury like Westbrook's quad, Chris Paul's hamstring, Yao's leg, and now he thinks that he is jinxed and he's just going to get close again next year only to have his heart broken again.

What I hope: Particularly in sports, things often seem bleak when they aren't. There are many valid paths to producing a championship basketball team. Over the past 13 years, we've practically exhausted out current strategy. I don't think that is a reason to abandon it, but it sounds like we're NOT going to abandon it. Almost everything that has been posted in anger is speculation, so I'd like to wait and see what actually happens. At the very least, I'd like to see who the new coach is before blasting the team.

D-rock and HP3 like this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

All I say this to the rest of your post, its fair. But to this...I very much doubt. Westbrook has never been apart of Morey's plan, small ball or not.