1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Morey Stepping Down!

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Captain Hook, Oct 15, 2020.

1. francis 4 prez

francis 4 prez Contributing Member

i believe only 11 teams have won a title in the last 41 years. and it was only 9 in 35 until lebron happened to be born in cleveland and durant missed the finals to let toronto win. so basically each team should expect to win sometime every 120 years. it's far from a random process like baseball or football. it takes a good organization and a lot of luck and a lot of being in los angeles.

so why go from someone who basically does everything right but hasn't had luck to someone you hope will do everything right and who will also almost certainly need luck? just seems like it's a 2 part problem and you've basically solved the first part and are now back at square one. if there was some obvious fatal flaw holding morey back, i could see him not being indispensable. but he's in the group of good GM's in this league. who is considered better than the others is mostly just based on who happened to have everything break right and win, but at the end of the day having a good GM gets you in the contender door and mostly luck pushes you to the title. we were consistently getting in the door. unless the next guy has some ability to generate luck, i don't see why we should just hope for another good GM eventually.

DreamShook likes this.
  2. Easy

Easy Boban Only Fan
    Supporting Member

This last part is the last nail to the coffin.

Williamson likes this.
  3. Chamillionaire

No use crying over spilt milk.
    Morey's gone.
    Hire Silas. Get back to work.

4. J Sizzle

J Sizzle Member

Pretty much.

I'll never forget letting Ariza walk and bringing in Melo in the name of "remaining flexible". It was the first sign of what Tilman was about as an owner, and we did not know it at the time, but it was symbolic of what the next 2 years would bring.

And I don't blame the homers. It's fine to support the team. I love the Rockets too. My enthusiasm has been greatly diminished knowing Tilman will never allow us to truly compete, but they are my team, regardless. I just always was so baffled by those who willingly buried their head in the sand. It's not like the moves made over the last 2 years were 50/50 moves that could go either way. They were *always* about saving money and caving to Harden/Tilman demands. I cannot name a single move during the Tilman era that has been purely about executing the best move in order to help the team win.

5. Amel

Amel Contributing Member

[​IMG]

J.R. likes this.
  6. deshen

deshen Member

I assume this is the proof. there was no other better option than Westbrook trade.

7. Zergling

Zergling Member

Obviously this sucks and I loved Morey here. But the good news is his replacements were within the organization for awhile and I expect them to fully continue Morey's legacy of embracing analytics. IF we hire Silas as a head coach, then I'm really excited about the offense in the near future as well.

That Morey is willing to help the Rockets as a short-term advisor tells me he's going to make sure he's leaves on a good note and that his replacements are set up to succeed.

8. LosPollosHermanos

LosPollosHermanos Houston only fan
    Supporting Member

More ball movement is the only way the rockets were going to win, this is why harden is a ****er loser on the court and few people outside our fans think he’s anything other than regular season fodder. He brought this on us. CP3 was right and apparently apparently advocating for what’s best for the team caused hisfeelings to get hurt. It’s ironic people blame the team for not giving him help when it’s well known that franchise players are dictating these moves. He’s the one responsible for this.

9. BasketMAD

BasketMAD Member

This hits the nail on the head exactly. This is also why Harden wants a players coach like John Lucas instead of JVG or even Silas. He just wants yes-men around him. Says a lot.

10. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

I feel sorry for him, he's getting his shot at the big table but he's been dealt an Ace of Spades, a 7, a Jack, a 2 and a "rules for straight draw poker" card and his chip stack is highly leveraged in larger private restauranteur business interests

HP3 and saleem like this.
  11. SamFisher

SamFisher Contributing Member

He bought the team as a status symbol to hand to his kids then he hit severe financial straits due to the pandemic and it's his one relatively unscathed asset - so not only was the intention never good, the circumstances worsened markedly.

pugsly8422, HP3 and J Sizzle like this.
  12. HewbieTrippin

HewbieTrippin Member

Between MDA, Tilman, and Morey, I'd choose Morey and it's not even close.

He's done an exceptional job gathering talent and assembling competitive/title-contending rosters. He just had some bad luck with key injuries to our stars.

I still remember my first impression of him was nabbing ron artest for bobby jackson (!?) and was stoked to have a big three ... And then tmac got hurt again and doesnt play all playoffs. We had a great all-around roster that year (brooks, tmac, artest, battier, scola, landry, yao, lowry, chuckwagon, deke) but again ran into some more bad luck (yao getting injured too?!?). Then Daryl pulls the franchise-altering move and foreseeing harden's potential to trade kevin martin for him, slowly assembles a good supporting cast and even stars to come and partner with him (dwight and cp3), and having highly competitive playoff runs, only to run into the warriors dynasty and more injuries. That 2008-2009 team and the 2017-2018 team are the big what-ifs for me ... If tmac was relatively healthy that year (or even if yao didn't go down in the 2nd round), and if cp3 didn't blow the hamstring (and luc ruining his shoulder on a dunk for that matter) ... They were such beautiful years to watch and they were teams that were clearly good enough to win it all and better display Morey's value as a GM.

I don't believe Morey really wanted the Russ trade, doesn't seem like him, but regardless, he's done a great overall job with assembling this team and believing in our stars. Had they not got injured at some of the worst times, he'd be held in an even higher regard and these talking heads wouldn't have as much room to bash him.

#592 HewbieTrippin, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    HP3 and Rashmon like this.
  13. RocketsSZN

RocketsSZN Member

There’s a couple of things that we can do, seeing as though the roster isn’t getting any better and the West is only getting more competitive.
    1. Do right by Harden and trade him to the Heat with Jimmy Butler. Try to get at least 2 of Bam, Herro, Robinson, Nunn, along with multiple 1st round picks.
    2. Trade Russ to the Knicks or the Timberwolves. If Knicks, get multiple first rounders and a young guy (prolly not giving you Robinson or Barrett). If Timberwolves, get the #1 pick and a salary filler. I would say the Knicks because they’re not getting any better any time soon.
    3. Trade EG to Pacers (MDA probably wants him) for picks or maybe Brogden/Turner/Oladipo.
    4. Replace the other role players with cheap young options.
    5. Giannis 2021?

#593 RocketsSZN, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    Amel likes this.
  14. Asian Sensation

Jimmy Butler will veto that trade real quick. If he wanted to play with a bum ass like Harden he would’ve came here last year. The last thing Jimmy wants to do is stand around and play 2nd fiddle while Harden dribbles the living hell out of the ball.

Amel likes this.
  15. YOLO

YOLO Member

the only thing thats happening is #4 and that's bc the rockets are led by idiots

HP3 likes this.
  16. RocketsSZN

RocketsSZN Member

See your point. Then trade Harden to the Suns for Oubre and Booker. Suns might do that.

17. HP3

HP3 Member

I get you man....but we had a special team with James Harden and Chris Paul. I truly believed that. This team just always needs one piece. Wether big or small sigh. Trading for Westbrook diminished those opportunities imo. But Im sad to say that we wont be getting a good GM anytime soon, that's what happens with bad ownership. :( There are even many rumors out there that Tillman wants his son to fill the position.

18. Asian Sensation

If we could land Booker for Harden that would be a dream. Too good to be true. He’s not far off from Harden as is and he’s 8 years younger. Phx willl want to keep him.

I think Chicago might be a good target. A combination made of the following.... White, Levine, Markkanen, their #4 pick this year and future 1st round picks sounds reasonable.

RocketsSZN likes this.
  19. HP3

HP3 Member

No, the better option was not to do the trade period. Morey did not want to do that trade. He wanted Chris Paul to stay. And he certainly would not give up that many picks to get Westbrook. This trade would not have gone through if ti wasnt for Tillman. Morey was forced. Please stop trying to blame him for this trade.

SamFisher likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

I wouldnt go by that opinion alone. The guy has a pretty low opinion of Harden. I have no doubt Miami would definitely consider a trade for Harden and Butler likes him as well. He always compliments James.