1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

2. HOUSTON ROCKETS STREAM
    We're watching the Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone press conference now, reacting to their comments

Ime Udoka and Rafael Stone Press Conference
    Dismiss Notice

Daryl Morey Appreciation Thread

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by Astrodome, Oct 15, 2020.

1. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

Heres my Morey story...

I live in Vegas and have been attending the Summer League since it basically started... Back then it was much cooler than it is now... it wasnt as crowded and most of the coaches, execs and some players just sat in the stands with the fans...
    I was elated after a few years when the Rox announced they were gonna start participating in the LV summer league.
    I remember talking to JVG when we were trying to reacquire Mike James...
    Talked to RA in the stands when he was our coach...
    Got an auto from a rookie CP3...
    etc...

but the coolest was when I was cheering for our team 1 game... I think it was for Chuck Hayes and Lonny Baxter - lol... and at the end the end of the game, Morey is on his way out of the gym, and he walks over to me in the stands and shakes my hand and thanks me for my support... totally unsolicited by me...

I just thought that was such a classy move on his part!

Best of luck in all your endeavors, Darryl!

2. tinman

tinman Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Daryl Morey was about the fans

3. Dankstronaut

Dankstronaut Way, way out here.
    Supporting Member

Man...

Thank you for this era of interesting basketball in Houston, Texas.

This one hurts. I guess I assumed he would do it forever.

kjayp, D-rock and MettaWorldPete like this.
  4. Shark44

Shark44 71er
    Supporting Member

I've been avoiding Clutch Fans since I saw this flash earlier today. Luckily work has kept me busy and my mind off this until now.

Daryl, it's hard to say thanks for the memories because there are so many. You should have won your championship, but alas CP3 couldn't stay healthy. You have made some of the greatest moves in recent NBA history. You kept the trade market exciting and as fans we enjoyed F5ing every deadline.

You're analytical approach changed the game. While I'm not sure it will last, you definitely had your moment in time that reshaped how many teams approached scoring.

While its a sad day, transitions can be exhilarating for all parties involved. Having just changed companies and jobs 4+ months ago, I have a new lease on life and enjoy what I do again. I wish the same for you and hope you land in a great job--I hear the Texans need a GM and you could stay in the area. Wouldn't that be the sh_t.

Good luck sir, we wish you our very best!

5. plutoblue11

plutoblue11 Member

In Morey's watch, happens to coincide with the Spurs dynasty, the Kobe Lakers, the LeBron years, and the Dubs. With the failing health of two superstars and zero high lottery picks, he never had a team with a losing record, while being a perennial playoff team. No other NBA team has managed to do that, except the Spurs and Celtics. And, the Spurs have their wheels falling off, after TD retire and Kawhi debacle.

Championships involve a lot of luck and timing. Those things have worked against the Rockets, but Morey has forever change the league in how teams play, plan, and scout.

D-rock, MettaWorldPete and slothy420 like this.
  6. Downtown Sniper

Downtown Sniper Contributing Member

There’s going to be a hell of a lot of people on this board who will realise maybe not today, maybe not tomorrow. But at some point in the future, just how damn valuable he was to this team.

With the Tillmans in full control of this train now, the organisation is heading downhill fast.

I hope Harden has the fortitude to demand a trade and not waste the end of his prime years playing for this jerk who doesn’t have have the best interest of this organisation at heart.

D-rock, MettaWorldPete and YOLO like this.
  7. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

I am a huge fan of Moreys approach. Not so much on how he approached his approach.

8. MystikArkitect

Daryl made and kept Rockets ball exciting. It wasn't ever going to last forever but like Switch famously said in the Matrix...

...not like this. Not like this.

9. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

#TeamDaryl #TeamCP3

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Thank you for everything you did for this franchise, Daryl.

You did just about everything you could and always looked to improve on what we had and never settled for being a loser despite it being the easy thing to do to try and turn a franchise around.

We were never national media darlings and hardly ever got the benefit of the doubt, but that never stopped you from trying to shut everyone up.

Thank you for making this franchise enjoyable to watch for the past 13 years.

D-rock and plutoblue11 like this.
  11. adoo

adoo Member

Les didn't compare lin to iverson / CP3 / LB, Morey did.

Morey, the chicken bleep, gaslighted Rox fans

12. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Thanks Daryl for all you have done... We had quite a run!

But.... If you come back in 6 months and become GM of another team i will be very mad

D-rock likes this.
  13. HP3

HP3 Member

All GMs do that about their players. Like....I dont even know what your issue is. Like you are mad about a throw away line Morey made as if he hasnt been one of the most successful GMs??? Thats silly

14. adoo

adoo Member

in a roundabout way, ur saying that you don't mind being gaslighted.

whatever floats ur boat

15. tinman

Supporting Member

his issue is that he's not a Rockets fan
    @Reeko

sometimes beyond obvious is beyond obvious

if you view his posts, you can easily see why he joined this board
    hint: ain't love for the Rockets

spotting fake Rockets fans on Clutchfans is easier than spotting fried chicken at Popeye's

D-rock, MettaWorldPete and HP3 like this.
  16. HP3

HP3 Member

Then I guess I have no more reason to respond to him.

tinman likes this.
  17. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

Thank you for stealing Harden from Okc

18. K-Low_4_Prez

K-Low_4_Prez Member

Nah the knicks have actually made the finals since 1995.

19. tinman

Supporting Member

if you ever wonder about someone , just look up their posts and the subjects they respond to

it's not that hard.

if someone says he's a rockets fan and brings up strange things that rockets fans do not do then he's not a rockets fan.

for example, rockets fans know that the rockets never got out of the first round of the playoffs since Charles Barkley played with the Rockets until Morey came. We got to the Finals.

Also this adoo guy has this weird theory that Morey got rid of Dragic for Jeremy Lin. Lin was just a free agent that we signed, and when he sucked Morey moved him. No Rockets fan holds that against him.

But this weirdo does. Seriously just read his posts, its some type of diversion tactic. No real basketball fan thinks like this.

Also,
    when a so called Rockets fans says that JVG brought the Knicks to the finals as their example of why we should hire him and does not mention that we already hired him for that reason along time ago,
    you know that baffoon is not a Rockets fan

HP3 likes this.
  20. REEKO_HTOWN

REEKO_HTOWN I'm Rich Biiiiaaatch!

This sucks more because we all know Harden was part of Morey's reason for leaving. Harden pushed CP3 out and went around Morey to Tilman to force the Russ trade. Morey wouldn't do the trade we did PERIOD without outside pressure.

HP3 likes this.