1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Is this the last we will see of Carlos Correa?

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by what, Oct 16, 2020.

1. what

what Member

When the Astros and Correa could not come to an agreement way back when, they knew the day was coming: they signed bregman , altuve to long term deals, they also paid Fredis Nova 1.2 million for his rights as a top 10 international prospect and a defensive gem. With altuve getting the yips, I wonder if the winter meetings the Astros are going to ship Correa.
    With brantley most likely gone also, the Astros still have a surprising amount of bats:

Springer
    Altuve
    Bregman
    Alvarez
    Tucker

Fredis Nova
    Maldonado

At this point I think you need to upgrade guriel and find another bat, but any trade of Correa needs to have a good talented bat to put in the lineup.
    Alvarez wasn't good in the postseason last year so it is a little worrisome to put that on his shoulders. The Astros need to replenish the farm system.

#1 what, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
  2. eric.81

eric.81 Contributing Member

Uhhh... no.

FatSeagal, BigM, awc713 and 1 other person like this.
  3. conquistador#11

WHHHHAT? Only like 2 rookies come to mind in my baseball watching since 1994 that didn't struggle in their first post season. Keep in mind that Alvarez had dinged 2 foul balls in each knee prior to the playoffs.

4. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

Perhaps they should trade Correa and Javier for catcher Austin Hedges. Glad you're not the GM

(From what in 2016)

"I spent a few hours researching this. The name I came up with: Austin Hedges. It's going to take a haul to get this guy. I'm thinking Kyle Tucker for starters. And I wouldn't hesitate to do that, either. Maybe more than Kyle Tucker at this point. We might have to give them Martes as well. It's going to take a lot"

"You are a homer if you think that Tucker is a better prospect"

Milos and arkoe like this.
  5. what

what Member

So they are going to resign him?

Btw, I am not making a statement as to my preference. Obviously everyone's preference is to keep him.
    But it is a fact that 3 of the top 10 minor league players in the Astros farm system are SS.
    The Astros have already been contemplating trading Correa: they choose to spend on bregman over Springer and Correa, and the Astros have shown no appetite to spend on long term mega deals for players that Correa wants.

6. what

what Member

Lol

7. Fantasma Negro

I think they keep Correa and Springer. They probably will let Brantley walk and move Springer to right with Reddick leaving. They'll probably pay Springer and arbitrate with Correa one last time then after next season when Greinkie comes off the books Correa can get his money

#7 Fantasma Negro, Oct 16, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 16, 2020
    joshuaao and rockets1995 like this.
  8. bobrek

Why move Springer to left?

9. Fantasma Negro

Meant right

10. Snake Diggit

Snake Diggit Member

It is plausible that they can afford to sign both Springer and Correa. It would require both of those guys to sign for toward the lower end of their projected contracts. It would also require Houston to be able to fill their other needs cheaply (which looks plausible with the emergence of so many young arms), and for Houston to be able financially to carry the kinds of payroll they’ve had over the last 2-3 seasons.

But even if they can’t afford to extend him, trading Correa probably doesn’t make much sense. There are very few contenders looking for SS, and there are tons of quality SS available this offseason and especially next. Finally, it’s almost certain Cleveland will shop Lindor hard this offseason. So it is very unlikely that Houston would receive an offer compelling enough to make sense (either an ace pitcher with 2+ seasons of control or 3 Top 100 prospects).

Their best course is to do as much as possible to win next season, then if Correa is too expensive, they collect their compensation draft pick and move on down the road.

11. what

what Member

The Astros could have already signed him to a deal, if that option was available: so basically what you are saying is get draft comp'd for Correa.
    If you are holding out hope that they will sign him, I think you are foolishly burying your head in the sand at everything that is going on. They effectively moved on when they passed him by for bregman. Altuve they signed at a bargain price and to reward him. In fact, they acted like they don't even want to pay Springer. There is no guarantee that he is even brought back.
    The Astros let cole walk when his contact got too big.
    at this point you might better hope that the Astros actually are willing to sign Springer. Because I am not even sure they do that.
    They may opt to roll with tucker, bregman, altuve and alvarez.
    But don't act like signing Correa is even an option at this point. It isn't.

12. bobrek

Until he shows signs of slowing down, why not keep him in center?

No Worries likes this.
  13. bobrek

Phew...sure sign that the Astros will sign Correa.

14. what

what Member

I hope you are right.

15. Fantasma Negro

Giving him less work in the outfield will cut down on the injuries and give him more power at the plate. Straw can play center just as well. Just a suggestion

16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm not up on the money and contracts but I will say again for Correa in particular. He will never have the adulation that he has in Houston. I doubt any MLB team will turn him down considering what he's doing this post season but every fan base and likely several clubhouses will look at him suspiciously.

I know with Marwin Gonzalez coming to the Twins while he's not a big star when the cheating scandal broke out there was some talk locally about him and even if the Twins power number surge might've had something to do with him bringing over "techniques" from Houston. With Correa or Springer those type of rumors will dog them anywhere they go.

joshuaao likes this.
  17. SamCassell

SamCassell Contributing Member

Can always count on a what thread for the dumbest takes imaginable.

The more Correa embraces the villain role and talks back to the haters, the more I see him sticking around. Used to think he was cultivating this media image that was best served in NYC or LA. Now I think he's showing his true colors and he's gonna be an Astro for life.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Springer is a free agent.

Alvarez played with a severe injury in the playoffs and in the World Series had an OPS of 1.120

Why is Brantley most likely gone? they can offer him the QO if they want, or likely can sign him to a one or two year deal.

The Astros are going to deal Carlos Correa? He has a major league record 6 homers for a shortstop in the post season this year, and has an OPS of over 1.300 ... he also has shown consistently that he is player that shines brightest in the biggest spots......... he is 25 years old and already has 17 post season homers.

19. what

what Member

Like kevin durant did?
    Btw, this is not a take, it is a question based on the fact that Correa has 1 more year left of arbitration and the fact that the Astros and Correa's team have been at odds over his contact for many many years.

20. what

what Member

And yet, concerning Correa, they still haven't signed him to a long term deal with only one year of arbitration left. Don't shoot the messenger, those are the facts.
    I also don't think that just because he's got six home runs this off-season that that's going to move the needle. I think everybody in the front office of the Astros knows how special of a player Carlos is and yet they have so far been unwilling to meet his contact demands.
    Alex Rodriguez was a hell of a player that Seattle had to let walk as well do to contact demands.