1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Executive VP of Football Operations Jack Easterby is on a very long-term contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Some of you are TOO FOCUSED on Easterby. He is keeping the chair warm for the next GM.

TWS1986 likes this.
  2. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

And then what will he be fired?

Will he go back to VP and oversee everything?

TWS1986 likes this.
  3. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

Typical. Houston sports franchises are run like a joke. You can't make this stuff up.

coachbadlee likes this.
  4. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Does it matter? If he is not the GM, I don't care what he does. He is not going to pick players or coaches. Who cares what he does.

5. DieHard Rocket

DieHard Rocket Contributing Member

I am not too worried about Easterby at least until we see real evidence that he is assuming more power. My gut says OB was calling 98% of the shots the last couple of years and Easterby was a sounding board.

Remember, we used to think that Rick Smith was tied to the hip with Cal and Bob and we saw what happened there. I know there were other circumstances with his wife but there hasn't even been a whisper of him coming back even in another capacity for a guy that we all thought would be here as long as the Mcnair's were around.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  6. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Then that’s worse

7. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Yes it does. He wasn’t technically the GM when he did all his damage before. It’s well established he has cal’s ear still.

J.R., charlieaustin and Rudyc281 like this.
  8. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

No. BoB was the GM. He has Cal’s ear, so? Cal will make his own decisions.

9. T for 3

T for 3 Member

Cal’s track record hasn’t been good so far. He sat idle while BOB and his right hand man Easterby gutted the organization.

It is not unreasonable for people to want Easterby gone. As in, out of the organization. I don’t know why you are pushing back so much on this.

10. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

What don't you understand? I want Easterby gone. However, it can wait til the end of the season. Since they "gutted" the organization, there are not many options to act as "Acting GM". He can finish out the season, then be let go.

11. T for 3

T for 3 Member

But all indications are pointing to him not being let go, and instead being reassigned, which I have already explained, is not good enough.

They gutted the organization in terms of draft capital and on field personnel. They could certainly plug in some rando lower lever guy to handle basic GM duties. There were plenty of scouting personnel types on that list.

J.R. likes this.
  12. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

He will go back to the "VP" position he had, which has NOTHING to do with on field personnel, Coaches, or Football strategy. The new GM will have the power. If Cal wants to keep him around, that's his business. As long as he not making football decisions...I don't care where he is at.

13. T for 3

T for 3 Member

You mean the same VP position he’s had while helping the old GM gut the franchise?

14. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm with Mr. Scarface here; it seems like, with BOB gone, people are just looking for a new whipping boy to complain about. Seems silly to be upset with a team's VP of practically anything, as long as he's not making personnel decisions.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  15. TEXNIFICENT

TEXNIFICENT Member

If you're going to clean house, don't half ass it. And for the love of god NO MORE "PATRIOT WAY" BS. Forge your own path.

red5rocket, Rudyc281 and T for 3 like this.
  16. T for 3

T for 3 Member

It’s not some innocuous position though. He’s already proven that.

By most accounts he is helping pick the new GM, and so whose to say he won’t have a hand in decision making again? He clearly did as VP with Bob around.

I don’t care if he’s the janitor. He needs to go.

J.R. and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Hey Now!

He's proven, what, exactly? The Texans made their head coach their general manager and Easterby filled some of the inevitable void that terrible decision created. And if we're scared Easterby is accumulating too much power.... Well, he then becomes the reason BOB was fired, doesn't he - so, what, exactly, are we worried about?...

Assuming they don't repeat their mistake, and hire a competent GM who does not also become their head coach, I assume Easterby will move to the background again and let the football people run things.

If that DOESN'T happen, they - yes, it's concerning. But we're getting upset about situations that literally only exist in our heads right now.

Those are mutually exclusive ideas. Jamey Roots will also be involved in picking the GM, too, reportedly. I'm not concerned he'll insert himself into the personnel decisions.

Let's see who they hire and what they do. The Astros had a similar situation early in their rebuild when Luhnow and Postolos clashed and the GM won.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

I agree. I'm tired of the Texans' half-measures. I'll say only that they can't fire EVERYBODY mid-season; somebody has to make personnel decisions and coach the team, etc. Hopefully, they'll fire him after the season - though it doesn't sound like it.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  19. T for 3

T for 3 Member

He’s proven that as VP he can have influence. I don’t like this whole idea of him *hopefully* fading into the background.

They are not mutually exclusive ideas. He was right there with Bob influencing decisions before, I don’t want him influencing the new GM hire, now.

#59 T for 3, Oct 14, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  20. coachbadlee

coachbadlee Member

It really does seem like that. Its weird.

Rudyc281 likes this.