1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Who do you want as the new Rockets head coach?

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by bratna8, Oct 13, 2020.

?

Rockets head coach

1. Jeff Van Gundy

46.3%
  2. Ty Lue

9.8%
  3. Stephen Silas

14.6%
  4. John Lucas

2.4%
  5. Kenny Atkinson

15.2%
  6. Wes Unseld Jr.

1.8%
  7. Other

9.8%
  1. Jturbofuel

Jturbofuel Member

JVG or give one of the younger asst coaches a shot. I want no part of Lue.

AroundTheWorld likes this.
  2. Dr of Dunk

Dr of Dunk Clutch Crew

Hammon is someone I'd love to take a chance on, but since it doesn't seem like we're going after her, I left her off the list.

3. J.R.

J.R. Member

Kenny Atkinson
    --------------
    Jeff Van Gundy
    --------------
    Stephen Silas
    Wes Unseld Jr.
    David Vanterpool
    --------------
    Tyronn Lue
    John Lucas

Really doesn't matter to me. They're all puppets!/'ll take orders from Morey/Harden.

As @Rudyc281 says, ....
    They hire JVG/Lue, Tilman wants to make a splash hire
    They hire Silas/Unseld/Vanterpool/Lucas, Tilman is cheap and wouldn't pay for a real head coach
    And they hire Atkinson, "Well what's so impressive about KA? What was so impressive about the Nets? Losing record and KD/Kyrie didn't want him!"

It's whatever.

kjayp and Rudyc281 like this.
  4. bratna8

bratna8 Member

Voted for JVG.

His teams were always prepared and played hard every single game.

I know he had Yao and TMac...but would like to see what he can do with an MVP caliber player in Harden and how he can make Westbrook more efficient/useful in our offense (hoping for a strong offensive coordinator if JVG is hired).

And if the organization decides to blow it up, I'm pretty confident that a JVG coached team will still be competitive and disciplined.

5. jordnnnn

jordnnnn Member

Atkinson or Silas.

JVG wouldn’t bother me.

I also don’t think coaching matters THAT much so I’m not going to be too worried with who we choose.

Plus I don’t believe there is ANY coach that’s going to magically turn our 40+ million dollar anchor into a high end positive impact guy.

don grahamleone and HP3 like this.
  6. bloodwings19

bloodwings19 Member

Voted for JVG. This is the only place he wants to coach, at least give him 1 more chance. Never forget his Red Rowdies.

Cstyle42, kjayp and don grahamleone like this.
  7. HTown_TMac

HTown_TMac Member

Silas
    Atkinson
    JVG

if we had hammond on our list, i’d choose her as well.

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  8. ThatBoyNick

ThatBoyNick Member

Atkinson.

While Silas has been an assistant under great coaches like his father, Don Nelson, Carlisle, he hasn’t proven what he can do with his own team.

He was given a crack at head coach with the dumpster fire that was the Bobcats and had a 7-59 season during the 2012 lockout season. They decided to move him back to assistant, if that means a whole lot I’m not sure, the team was complete garbage.

Atkinson at the same time has also worked under great coaches in MDA, Budenholzer AND has actual head coach experience, and showed success getting the Nets a winning record in the 18-19 season, displaying a very good offensive system, and developing a good number of young players in a short time.

I wouldn’t be mad at any of the choices between Atkinson, Silas, JVG. Atkinson just seems to have the mix of potential combined with a base understanding of what we’d get. Silas is unknown, and even JVG at this being a decade removed from a game that has rapidly changed is also somewhat of a wildcard.

HP3 and Fiah like this.
  9. Fiah

Fiah Member

Atkinson
    JVG
    Silas

10. Reeko

Reeko Member

Kenny Atkinson...already said why in other threads

I don’t really expect him to be the hire...I’ll be surprised if he’s picked

D-rock, arabrocket, HP3 and 1 other person like this.
  11. fattz

fattz Member

Keep Harden happy and spend on assistant coaches —> they can be replaced quickly if they don’t work out. Keep it silly simple. Develop a bench. If the goal truly was to keep MDA —> Lucas is the next best thing but really better in some ways.

12. arabrocket

arabrocket Member

I’m just curious. What do people see in JVG as a coach in terms of offensive strategies ?

D-rock likes this.
  13. kjayp

kjayp Contributing Member

[​IMG]

I'm still on board with JVG! I'd go to war with that lil terrier!

I'm not saying he's necessarily THE best option... but I'd be happy with him and I'm not gonna claim to be infinitely knowledgeable of all the other candidates... so I'm all about JVG! :)

14. kjayp

Preordained offense...
    3s, layups and isos are 80-90% of our offense... give him a sharp upncomer offensive asst to run the offensive adjustments...
    and let JVG grind out the defense and oversee the overall level of intensity and accountability...

basically the inverse of MDA... MDA was all about offense and anything regarding defense was 'You'll have to ask Jeff about that..." ...so its just the inverse - plus I believe JVG will provide better oversight and not get steamrolled by our 'stars'...

imo...

#34 kjayp, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  15. kjayp

D-rock likes this.
  16. TimDuncanDonaut

JVG has the lead in the poll right now. As the time of this post, has half of the votes.

[​IMG]

Fiah likes this.
  17. ApacheWarrior

ApacheWarrior Member

John Lucas

Many players current and former have sought John Lucas out and stayed at his retreat for months for
    addiction treatment, basketball skills instruction and life coach enlightenment. LeBron being one of those
    players seeking guidance to transition from high school to NBA.

Similar to players seeking out Olajuwon in the summer. Often staying a month or two.

1) Lucas has a reputation of being a “player guru” and I saw how he worked with Capela at 5 in the morning.
    Progress in development of young players. Why pay Ty Lue so much money when we can employ a player’s
    coach for cheaper in the form of Lucas? I’ve always heard players like Ty Lue......not an X’s and
    O’s Coach.

2) Puppet coach? Westbrook/Harden/Covington/Tucker/Rivers can continue running this offense. Lucas
    gets a defensive coordinator like Bzdelik was to the Rockets/Grizz. Add SF’s and improve Westbrook
    shooting from a couple spots from 3-pt line. Get healthy Westbrook.

3) Raw deal. Previous stints as head coach had crappy players.

1992-93 Spurs (39-22 or .639 winning %....replaced Tarkanian who was 9-11)
    Players of note: Willie Anderson, Terry Cummings, Vinny Del Negro, Sean Elliot, Dale Ellis, Avery Johnson, David Robinson.

1993-94 Spurs (55-27 or .671 winning %)
    Players of note: add players: Sleepy Floyd and Dennis Rodman

1994-95 76ers (24-58 or .293 winning %)
    Players of note: Clarence Weatherspoon, Dana Barros, Shawn Bradley......wouldn’t give a nickel for the rest.

1995-96 76ers (18-64 or .220 winning %)
    Players of note: add players: Derrick Coleman (5), Vernon Maxwell (7), Stackhouse (rookie), Rex Walters (2),
    Scott Skiles (9).....24 man roster so major player personnel turnaround.

2001-02 Cavs (29-53 or .354 winning %)
    Players of note: Bimbo Coles, Ricky Davis, DeSagana Diop, Tyrone Hill, Ilguauskas, Chris Mihm, Andre
    Miller, Wesley Person.......idk, guess they underachieved and should have been at .400. Need to see
    who may have been hurt. Jim Paxton as GM.

2002-03 Cavs (8-34 or .235 winning %..........followed by Keith Smart 9-31)
    Players of note: Boozer (rookie), Darius Miller, Bimbo Coles (traded during season to Celtics)....Paxton still GM.

Summary: had good players with Spurs and won......had crappy players and lost....what if he had
    LeBron/KLove/Kyrie? How about a good Harden/Westbrook/Tucker/Covington?

He’s my “Shooter” from the movie “Hoosiers.” Only completely sober. Give ‘me the picket fence Lucas.

#37 ApacheWarrior, Oct 13, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 13, 2020
  18. tycoonchip

tycoonchip Member
    Supporting Member

Becky hammond silas atkinson... wouldn't mind any of them. I want someone who has the balls to tell Morey sometimes to take those analytics and shove it. Anyone that can implement team ball and movement over iso ball. Someone who is also willing to tell Tilman to stop being cheap and get him the players needed to win a ring.

19. TheRealAllpro

TheRealAllpro Morey only fan

As long as he is a Regicide I’m in.

20. smoothie

smoothie Jabari Jungle

I'm happy with any of the top 4 candidates.

My order of preference is: Lue, Atkinson, JVG, Silas.

But I think it all comes down to who is the AHC. can we find a top offensive coordinator for JVG and Atkinson? Can we find a top defensive coordinator for Lue or Silas?

Lue may be my top choice but Silas with Bzdelik would tip the scales. JVG with finch would tip the scales, Atkinson with Cassell would tip the scales. all depends on who is coming with them!