1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Election 2020

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout: Debate & Discussion' started by TheresTheDagger, May 13, 2020.

1. Amiga

Amiga 10 years ago...
    Supporting Member

Yes. In a recent WaPo poll, Biden voters plan to vote early by nearly 60 pts (I kid you not), while Trump voters plan to vote on election day by 40 pts (I also kid you not)! The stark difference is amazing and I think it speaks to messaging from both sides.

The early turnout has been insanely intense. By the time we get to election day, perhaps 70-80% of all Biden voters have voted.

Ubiquitin and fchowd0311 like this.
  2. fchowd0311

fchowd0311 Contributing Member

You said my post sounded like a freshman manifesto which I assume is an insult and you beat up a strawman saying that I personally blame Pelosi for Trump when I said 40 years of politicians like her is how we got to Trump. I thought I was pretty clear on that.

You also tend to ignore all points I make and never meat halfway while calling people like me extremist. You get more offended from me criticizing Pelosi than a "Bernie bro" does from one criticizing Bernie.

3. Phillyrocket

Phillyrocket Member

Figured this would be the case. Trump has really united the people to get out and vote against him.

4. VanityHalfBlack

Cause I thought it was funny? And krystal ball makes my peepee hard? Yang Gang!!

5. VanityHalfBlack

Thank you, I appreciate that response. Well said.

6. NewRoxFan

NewRoxFan Contributing Member

Should there be 210,000 dead Americans drawn somewhere in that cartoon?

malakas, Dubious, Andre0087 and 3 others like this.
  7. NewRoxFan

Which should tell you everything about cory gardner's morals and ethics...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  8. NewRoxFan

Now here is a likely pairing reflecting today's republican party...

FranchiseBlade likes this.
  9. MojoMan

MojoMan Member

10. ROXTXIA

ROXTXIA Contributing Member

No. Get your facts straight.

There should be 217, 987 dead. According to those quacks at Johns Hopkins. As of 12:11pm 10/16/2020.

11. NewRoxFan

Cook Political Report watches and reports on elections...

With Tension Draining Out of the Presidential Race, Will GOP Voters Stay Home?
    Charlie Cook
    October 20, 2020
    @CharlieCookDC
    The drama and uncertainty that seems to have leaked out of the presidential race has found its way into the fight for control of the U.S. Senate. If you are into either electoral politics or congressional policy, the range of possible outcomes in next month’s elections is dizzying. At one end of the spectrum, we could plausibly see Republicans hold their losses to just one or two seats, coming out with a bare majority of 51 or 52 seats. On the other end, given that Republicans face 12 competitive races to only two for Democrats, an electoral wipeout for the GOP is very much on the table.

Contrast that to the presidential race, where something pretty major would have to happen to bring President Trump up to an even competitive position. The new NPR/PBS Newshour/Marist poll puts Joe Biden 12 points ahead of Trump, 54 to 42 percent, not much different from the latest NBC News/Wall Street Journal poll, which puts Biden’s lead at 11 points, 53 to 42 percent.

At this point four years ago, Hillary Clinton was about 5 points ahead and in the last three weeks never had a lead of more than 7 points in the RealClearPolitics average of national polls. Biden is running 9 points ahead of Trump in the RCP average, 52 to 42 percent (difference due to rounding); 11 points in FiveThirtyEight, 52 to 42 percent (again rounding); and 8 points in the Economist’s model that’s driven primarily, not exclusively, by polling, 54 to 46 percent.

In the trifecta of states that put Trump over the top in 2016—Michigan, Pennsylvania, and Wisconsin—Biden’s lead is generally in the 6-to-9-point range. Those three states, when combined with the states that Hillary Clinton carried, would get the former vice president to 278 electoral votes—eight more than necessary to win. Biden has smaller leads in the other three top battleground states of Arizona, Florida, and North Carolina, as well as Nebraska’s 2nd District.

To make matters worse for the president, as of Thursday night, the University of Florida’s U.S. Elections Project counts 16 million votes already cast. So we should probably look beyond the presidential race for dramatic tension.

It is exceedingly unlikely that Democrat incumbent Doug Jones of Alabama will be able to win a full term in a presidential election year. But Gary Peters, the only other Democrat in Republicans’ sights, looks like a relatively safe bet to keep his seat. Conversely, Republicans have two incumbents that are in The Cook Political Report’s Lean Democratic column, Martha McSally of Arizona and Cory Gardner of Colorado. Beyond that, there are seven—count ‘em, seven—GOP seats rated as Toss-Ups: those held by Georgians Kelly Loeffler and David Perdue, Joni Ernst in Iowa, Susan Collins in Maine, Steve Daines in Montana, Thom Tillis in North Carolina, and Lindsey Graham in South Carolina.

Three more GOP seats are in the Lean Republican column, which means incumbents Dan Sullivan of Alaska and John Cornyn of Texas can’t rest easy. Nor can Rep. Roger Marshall, who’s running for the open, Republican-held seat in Kansas. That contest has proven to be shockingly close, and may be closer to a Toss-Up.

Even when Senate Republicans seemed to get a big break—the sex scandal ensnaring Cal Cunningham, the Democratic challenger to Tillis—it’s only helped them around the margins. That’s further evidence that Americans are increasingly voting based on the color of the jersey than the name on the back.

A useful reminder: according to Pew Research Center, in 122 of 139 Senate contests held since 2012, the party of the presidential candidate carrying that state most recently won the Senate seat. Moreover, since 1998, the final Toss-Up Senate races broke in the same direction about 70 percent of the time. Bottom line: it’s not unrealistic to think that Republicans will suffer net losses as high as four, five, six or more seats if things get really bad. The policy implications of Democrats holding 53 or 54 seats, especially if they jettison the filibuster, are gigantic.

Earlier in the week, this column suggested that Republican House losses could reach double digits. But consider also that 80 percent of state House seats are on the ballot this year. If a party is ever going to have a bad election, having one in a year ending in zero is the worst of all kinds because that year leads into congressional and state-legislative redistricting.

The key is that if Trump continues to trail Biden badly and be significantly outspent, do disappointed Republicans stay home, with dramatic downballot implications from the Senate to congressional seats and into state-legislative chambers as well?

Ironically, one thing that could have helped galvanize GOP voters would have been if there were a little more drama in Amy Coney Barrett’s Supreme Court confirmation fight. At this point, the outcome is a foregone conclusion and is somewhat less riveting than the Brett Kavanaugh SCOTUS fight of two years ago. The drama is still in this election though; it just happens to be more in the fight for the Senate than the one for the Oval Office.

This story was originally published on nationaljournal.com on October 16, 2020
    https://cookpolitical.com/analysis/...ng-out-presidential-race-will-gop-voters-stay

12. NewRoxFan

This is where trump has led the republican party...

13. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

[NPR] Supreme Court Blocks Curbside Voting In Alabama, An Option During Pandemic

The Supreme Court has sided with Alabama state officials who banned curbside voting intended to accommodate individuals with disabilities and those at risk from the COVID-19 virus.

The high court issued its order Wednesday night, without explanation, over the dissent of the court's three liberal justices.

At issue was the decision by the Alabama secretary of state to ban counties from allowing curbside voting, even for those voters with disabilities and those for whom COVID-19 is disproportionately likely to be fatal.

Several at-risk voters challenged the ban at the beginning of May. After a three-day trial, a federal district court ruled that the ban on curbside voting violated the Americans with Disabilities Act, and that a policy allowing but not requiring counties to implement curbside voting was a reasonable accommodation under the law.

A federal appeals court upheld the ruling, and the state appealed to the Supreme Court to block the lower court decision from going into effect. Now the high court has granted the state's request for a stay of the lower court orders.

Some counties in Alabama wanted to permit curbside voting — allowing voters to vote from their cars at the curbside of the polling place and to hand their ballots to a poll worker. Jefferson and Montgomery counties sought to allow curbside voting so that vulnerable voters who wished to vote in person would not have to wait inside in a crowd of fellow voters whom Alabama does not require to wear masks. But the secretary of state's ban prevented this accommodation, and the Supreme Court's five-justice conservative majority has, for now, sided with the secretary of state.

Dissenting from the high court's action were Justices Sonia Sotomayor, Stephen Breyer and Elena Kagan.

Writing for the three, Sotomayor noted that John Merrill, the Alabama secretary of state, "does not meaningfully dispute that the plaintiffs have disabilities, that COVID-19 is disproportionately likely to be fatal to these plaintiffs, and that traditional-in-person voting will meaningfully increase their risk of exposure."

Moreover, said Sotomayor, in-person voting is considerably easier than voting by mail in Alabama. At the polls, voters with disabilities receive assistance from poll workers; they need no witnesses, notaries, or copies of their photo IDs, as Alabama law requires for absentee ballots, and they know their ballots will not arrive too late to be counted.

In addition, she noted, curbside voting has been recommended by the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention during the pandemic, and the Justice Department has approved it as well as a way to prevent violations of the ADA.

Sotomayor concluded the dissenting opinion by pointing to one of the plaintiffs in the case, Howard Porter Jr, a black man in his 70s who suffers from Parkinson's disease and asthma. In challenging the ban on curbside voting, Porter told the district court: So "many of my [ancestors] even died to vote. And while I don't mind dying to vote, I think we're past that time."

Merrill, in a statement, called the court's decision a "ruling in favor of election integrity and security [and] ... a win for the people of Alabama."

Andre0087 likes this.
  14. NewRoxFan

But remember, supreme court justices aren't Democrats or republicans. And they don't take positions to support one party or candidate over the other. It was just a weird coincidence that the five "conservative" justices all voted the way that the republicans and trump wanted them, in order to suppress voting and turnout.

AleksandarN and malakas like this.
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

There could be a real legal reason for what the five conservative judges did. They just did not feel the need to write it down, which is ... shady AF.

AleksandarN and jiggyfly like this.
  16. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

This is shady largely because no majority opinion was written. That said the court also let stand PA allowing ballots received after Nov. 3rd to be counted. My guess is that in both cases they are deferring to the state. In AL the Sec of State was against curbside voting so they let it stand while in PA the Sec. of State was for it so the let it stand.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. MystikArkitect

This is about to happen in Texas. The GOP is prepping to throw out all the drive thru votes here in Houston.

18. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

This.

Yes a significant amount will stay home especially if there are long lines.

I am willing to bet that about half of the Trumpers here will not vote because they are really only in it to troll the libs.

19. jiggyfly

jiggyfly Member

Did you just miss when Roberts voted against party lines 2 weeks ago?

20. NewRoxFan

OK... does that prove that the conservatives don't almost always vote as a block? As they did on this? I on occasion post kudos to things trump may have done. Does that make me less of a trump critic, or less of a Democrat?