1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Executive VP of Football Operations Jack Easterby is on a very long-term contract

Discussion in 'Houston Texans' started by Air Langhi, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

This

rhino17, Rudyc281 and Two Sandwiches like this.
  2. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Yes....but Easterby was part of that group.

3. Fulgore

Fulgore Member

John Fox was the coach

4. Canadiandude

Canadiandude Member

You right

raining threes and Rudyc281 like this.
  5. Buck Turgidson

And that group helped decide to keep BoB for a couple more years.

6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

Firing Easterby right now doesn’t help the team. Removing at the end of the season? Fine. He doesn’t have a role for on the field activities.

coachbadlee likes this.
  7. Buck Turgidson

No, tone-deaf, firing Easterby now does not help the product on the field. Firing him and having a legitimate GM then coach search certainly helps things for next year, those usually begin before the season is over. The timing is whatever, but the Reverend has to go and he cannot be involved in any more hiring decisions. Clean House.

8. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

Amazing that anyone would really want to bring a Patriots assistant coach over. All failures, including BOB.

9. Nook

Nook Member

This clown is a cancer... he should be preaching at county fairs and begging for dollars while coked out ex-body builders tear phone books behind him “for the Lord”.

The fact that this huckster has attached himself to McNair’s ass like a barnacle shows just how stupid and incompetent the organization is. Cal is the type of Gump to send televangelists money.

So now a guy that was a “reverend” and isn’t a football player or coach has sway over the organization? So Texans like. I guarantee you he suckered Cal into over paying him for a long term deal... all he had to do was leak false information that other teams were interested and McNair came running with the check book.

****ing embarrassing.

10. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

So New England and Robert Kraft fell for the same thing? Because he was more then just a character coach for them.

11. Nook

Nook Member

The true importance and power wielded in New England is based on what? Articles written based on anonymous sources, which were likely Easterby? Do you really buy him leaving the Patriots over the owner getting a hand job from a 45 year old woman?

He was useful for BB and was popular for the players but there is no evidence that he had any real power and that is supposedly part of why he left New England.

12. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

I'm not by any means suggesting he's in their class nor am I dismissing your concerns - but the two best executives in our city's history - Morey & Luhnow - were not former players/coaches. I don't think that, alone, would be disqualifying.

What makes/made Morey & Luhnow successful was their ability to always be looking forward; there's no resting on laurels or repeating what worked elsewhere. They read the landscape and created their own paths. The NFL is ripe for that kind of forward-thinking; it is a sport rapidly evolving and you better stay ahead/at the curve. BO'B was well behind it. If Easterby proves to be progressive in his thinking... I won't be terribly concerned about his background.

Shark44 and Rudyc281 like this.
  13. Nook

Nook Member

That is a good point. They both worked in organizations where they had some degree of decision making responsibilities and Easterby has not.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  14. Rudyc281

Rudyc281 Member

Several articles have stated like I said before that Easterby played a role in New England more then just character coach.

But you reuse to believe it by stating it could of been Easterby who leaked that information.

So either way we will never know...but one thing I give Easterby credit was being able to fire his buddy O’Brien.

15. Nook

Nook Member

I haven’t seen any evidence that Easterby had any real power in New England. If you have any articles stating he had any influence on coaching or roster decisions let me know... I would rather be wrong on this issue.

16. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Most articles which referenced Easterby's position at the Patriots refer to the character coach / life coach.

Being "more than just a character coach" has come from players, as a jack of all trades, vs from people within the organization talking about executive responsibilities.

desihooper and Rudyc281 like this.
  17. Sooty

Sooty Contributing Member

Actually the covid protocols were covered by Suzie Thomas, let me see if I can find the source for you.

Rudyc281 likes this.
  18. Hey Now!

Hey Now! Contributing Member

And whatever influence he may have had in New England... it was being filtered through the greatest football mind of all-time.

Easterby isn't problematic - to me, at least - until we see the structure and hiring. If they go get a highly-regarded so-and-so from Baltimore, for instance, to be the GM and get a head coach who's proven to be fluid and adaptable and not married to a system.....

Nook and Rudyc281 like this.
  19. Sanity2disChaos

i second this. Can we stop assuming everyone attached to that cheating organization is all Good.

20. desihooper

desihooper Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

The more you can do... #PatriotsWay

conquistador#11 likes this.