1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

(Marc Stein) Ty Lue to meet with Rockets early next week

Discussion in 'Houston Rockets: Game Action & Roster Moves' started by DaBeard, Oct 10, 2020.

1. pippendagimp

pippendagimp Member

lue's at the bottom of my wishlist. figures that tilldolt would be after him

2. rockets13champs

I wasn’t talking about love lol I’m talking in general dumbo lol

Rudyc281 likes this.
  3. AroundTheWorld

AroundTheWorld Insufferable 98er
    Supporting Member

4. Nook

Nook Member

Ty Lue has flaws... he isn’t always well organized, he has health issues and at times is very laid back letting players do what they want on the court.

Having said that, he is one of the top 4-5 coaches in the NBA at making adjustments and substitutions.

He is a little different in how he does things. He doesn’t beg for a job or suck up to star players... but he handles pressure very well and is great at strategy.

Deuce, MettaWorldPete, HP3 and 3 others like this.
  5. treyk3

treyk3 Member

I wonder how it went tonight. If he’s their guy I hope they get him signed.

HP3 and Rudyc281 like this.
  6. Nook

Nook Member

It depends on what Tilman wants because (contrary to what he has said) he is picking the next head coach.

7. Little Bit

Little Bit Member

Of course he is. All of his public statements have been lies.

8. hakeemthagreat

Harden isn't the problem, its MOREY. What coach would want to coach a team where the GM dictates the offense. That's why I'm assuming we'll end up with no name or first time coach

saleem likes this.
  9. saleem

saleem Contributing Member

Wow, that spells even more trouble.

10. Sean Dr34ms

Sean Dr34ms Member

Do you have anything you can point to specifically to show that he’s an elite strategical coach?

I personally don’t like him as a candidate, but I’m open to seeing evidence of him potentially being a good coach for us.

D-rock likes this.
  11. jimmyv281

jimmyv281 Member

Used car salesman

Jeff van gundy
    Stan van gundy

12. D-rock

D-rock Member

Agreed, just needed one little fix.

13. D-rock

D-rock Member

Still wonder what happened in Clips-Nugs series, where were the adjustments by Lue?

MettaWorldPete likes this.
  14. Nook

Nook Member

The Finals against Golden State.

Lue figured out the best way to limit the Warriors is to exploit them in transition. He went with James and Thompson in transition, they were too big and strong for the Warriors to stop... they were athletic enough to defend and strong enough to limit the Warriors defensively as they feared transition buckets... it threw the Warriors off and it was shown in the Warriors offensive performances at the end of the series.

Early in the series the Warriors switched everything and that left a smaller player on LBJ I’d Love or Thompson.... the common sense response would be to feed the ball in the post when a mismatch happened... Lue understood that was actually what GS wanted... instead he had LBJ run the offense as if there was no mismatch and had LBJ immediately push in transition and it was extremely effective.

Defensively in game 7 he also mixed up how they defended with having Green often guarded by a guard.

Deuce likes this.
  15. lionaire

lionaire Member

He was an assistant ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

16. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

I have absolutely no idea where this notion is coming from. He did absolutely nothing without LeBron and LeBron made Mike Brown look good. Remember he became the coach because LeBron didn't want Blatt over coaching him. Even on the teams that were good, the LeBron off numbers were terrible. Those teams had no offensive system other than LeBron.

A bunch of people thought Scott Brooks was a great coach in OKC. Where is he now? I don't want these guys getting carried by superstars. The true measure of their worth is how well they do without their stars and Lue was terrible just having James on the BENCH. They'd look like lost children every time he sat down.

#56 lakersuck2, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  17. ksny15

ksny15 Member

I feel like he would be great here. I can understand it though if he had his doubts about signing with Houston. Also don’t expect Tilman to fork up the money.

18. Nook

Nook Member

Ty Lue made adjustments in the playoffs, including in the NBA Finals... Brown and Brooks never have. I don’t think Lue is perfect and may not even be the best available candidate for the Rockets.... but no one can really question his understanding of X’s and O’s and ability to make adjustments.

Deuce likes this.
  19. lakersuck2

lakersuck2 Member

Isn't it possible that a top 2 all time player, Basketball genius, and eternal student of the game made those adjustments? Like I said what did he do without LeBron? He started the next season 0-6 and got fired. It's easy to get results with the best players but a truly great coach can elevate even mediocre players. Lue couldn't even squeeze a functional offense out of the Cavs when LeBron rested for a few minutes.

Also Mike Brown had 66-16 and 61-21 seasons without any coaching ability whatsoever. Kinda makes you wonder who was steering that ship, huh?

#59 lakersuck2, Oct 12, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
    D-rock likes this.
  20. HP3

HP3 Member

Is that what you believe or what you have heard? Please tell me its the former....I do not want this smuck to be involved in any part of the process.

D-rock likes this.