1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

[Official ALDS] Astros vs. Athletics

Discussion in 'Houston Astros' started by Castor27, Oct 5, 2020.

1. Nick

Nick Contributing Member

They’re elated that they finally won a series, let alone against the big bad Yankees.

The Astros were once in the same position of being elated and just happy to be there... lost the 2004 NLCS.... lost the 2005 World Series.... lost the 2015 ALDS.

I’m glad Framber is starting game 1... he’s the single biggest difference maker we have, both in terms of raw ability and in terms of teams being totally unprepared/unfamiliar with him.

MadMax, everyday eddie and Uprising like this.
  2. jim1961

jim1961 Member

Emotion and adrenaline can make fools of us all.

MadMax, mikol13 and Houstunna like this.
  3. jim1961

jim1961 Member

My official anti-jinx for the series

[​IMG]

Hey Tampa Bay, just look at this. You could hit your hookah before the game and still beat us. Relax. Have some drinks. Have a LOT of drinks. Have even more drinks. There you go!

#3503 jim1961, Oct 10, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  4. donkeypunch

donkeypunch Contributing Member

5. J.R.

J.R. Member

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/rays/2020/10/10/beat-yankees-check-next-on-rays-revenge-tour-astros/

And starting Sunday, the Rays get the chance to avenge last year’s playoff ouster when they open the best-of-seven American League Championship Series against an Astros team that knocked them out last year.

"I think it’s nice to have like a rematch,'' Rays pitcher Tyler Glasnow said. "After last year, I’d personally love to face them again. We’re definitely ready for it.''

There’s something else, too.

The Astros, in many corners and clubhouses, are still considered baseball’s villains, known as cheaters, and worse, for the sign-stealing and garbage-can-banging scandal that was revealed this past offseason. And also known for the unrepentant attitude some of their players showed and continue to as they advanced to a fourth straight ALCS.

"I know a lot of people are mad,'' Houston shortstop Carlos Correa has said. "I know a lot of people don’t want to see us here. But what are they going to say now?''

The Rays aren’t going to say much, publicly at least, about being cast on the side of right in a matchup of good versus evil.

But they are aware. And they kind of dig it.

"Yeah, I’ll enjoy that, and hoping more people will be rooting for us given the circumstances, rightfully so,'' Rays centerfielder Kevin Kiermaier said Saturday.

"Obviously we all kind of said what we thought about that situation. It is what it is. They’ve played good baseball this year, and that’s what matters for us moving forward at this point. No one has forgotten what they have done or chose to do in years past, and they had to live with that. But we want to end their season this year, doing everything our way and beating them at our game.

"That’s pitching the heck out of it, scoring runs in many different ways, using our guys from the top to the bottom of our lineup. And we’ll see if we can make that happen.''

The Rays feel they are better equipped against the Astros this year, given their talent, their momentum from beating the Blue Jays and Yankees, and what they learned from last year, when they lost the first two games to the Astros, then came back to force a fifth and final game of the Division Series.

"I think so much of it was what we did last year, how well we played in the playoffs,'' Glasnow said. "Obviously we didn’t win the series. But I think the confidence of going in, knowing how well we played in the playoffs last year coming into this year and having that chip on our shoulder.''

Also, these are not the same Astros, with 2019 aces Gerrit Cole in Yankees pinstripes and Justin Verlander injured. However, after a 29-31 regular season, they have swept the Central Division-winning Twins and beat the West champion A’s in four games.

"I know they have a lot of talent over there still,'' Kiermaier said, "but they don’t have Gerrit Cole or Justin Verlander, and we definitely like that.''

The Rays are happy to have all these opportunities. And they thank the Astros getting them here.

"That experience probably helped us get to where we are right now,'' manager Kevin Cash said. “And the irony is that we’re playing them again now.”

everyday eddie likes this.
  6. Buck Turgidson

Yeah, they definitely sound like a team that's elated about winning a series and are just happy to be in the ALCS.

7. Kim

Kim Contributing Member

I really hope they can win at least one of the first two games. I wonder how many preserve-your-arms-and-punt-the-game scenarios will come up. Leashes will be longer this series....I think James might pitch again, lol. Perfect scenario would be for the Astros to win each early game while keeping it close enough to force stressful pitches from top releivers. Cash is very forward thinking. When the Rays were down in game 4 against the Yankees, he basically hung his starter out there and saved their top relievers for game 5.

everyday eddie and BigM like this.
  8. BigM

BigM Contributing Member

I think the Rays need to do more talking.

conquistador#11 likes this.
  9. TWS1986

TWS1986 SPX '05, UH' 19

Eric mother ****ing Bruntlett

10. RustyHarden

RustyHarden Member

That vid got me pumped. Just making the championship series back then was exhilarating. Now it's commonplace for us. Enjoy it folks

11. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

I missed every playoff games so far. How was Gurriel's defense? I can't remember his batting stats against the Twins but I think they were horrible against the A's. I know he was injured to finish the season. Is he still injured? Do they keep playing him and hope he starts to hit. Man if the bat continues to hit and he starts hitting, watch out. Is it better to have him sit or don't do that to a vet, no matter how bad he is. Just hope for the best. P.s. Gurriel, make sure you have both eyes on the ball. I hope you didn't go back to your old ways where you only had one eye on the ball while hitting.

12. Chamillionaire

13. awc713

awc713 Member

Who gets the last roster spot? bielak or Perez? I’m assuming toro is off the roster? Bielak may be a better option matchup wise if he’s healthy. Could draw what will be much needed spells for Raley and Taylor. I really hope he don’t see josh James in any high leverage situation but 7 games is 7 games. I assume Abreu is hurt?

14. punkoholic

punkoholic Member

Think Toro was on the ALDS roster. The Chronicle thinks McCormick will be the one that's dropped. These are the eligible pitchers that could be added. Brandon Bailey, Brandon Bielak, Humberto Castellanos, Chase De Jong, Shawn Dubin, Ralph Garza, Cionel Pérez and Nivaldo Rodriguez.

When did Abreu get hurt? I know he struggled this season and was sent down but they said he was out of shape. I would have assumed he got back into shape while on the taxi squad. When he came to Spring training, I assume he was in shape and I recall him pitching well in the exhibition games. Had he got in shape during his time during his demotion, I would have assumed he would have bounced back and pitched well.

#3514 punkoholic, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  15. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

Serious question ...

Can the Rays trade for Mike Fiers and then not pitch him for the ALCS?

Just curious.

16. conquistador#11

"And also known for the unrepentant attitude some of their players showed and continue to as they advanced to a fourth straight ALCS."

First they began with the stros don't have that arrogance to them. they look like shells of their former selves. Now they're back to the unrepentant attitudes. Western Median needs to make up their minds. Maybe just maybe having to follow covid protocols changed the whole dynamic of the funny team celebrations. Maybe, having "relief" pitching go horribly wrong and giving up leads in late innings led to that atrocious road record.
    Oh and 3 studs were out for the season and the core players with the exception of Correa took turns in the IL. That would cause any team to struggle for 30 away games.

17. Buck Turgidson

They put him on the DL (60-day) before 40-man rosters were finalized for the postseason. Never have said what his injury is.

18. Buck Turgidson

Here's another one for you, @Major, courtesy of Schoenfield:

This is great, from ESPN Stats & Info. How unlikely was Mike Brosseau's home run? Since 2008, there had [been] 285 homers hit on the 10th pitch or later of a plate appearance .... 31 homers hit on 100 mph pitches (100.0 and up) ... 0 homers hit on a 100 mph pitch at least 10 pitches into an at-bat.

whiskeyred and the shark like this.
  19. whiskeyred

whiskeyred Contributing Member

As shaky as some of the late guys can getI kinda love our rag tag group of pitchers
    Choi may want to consider the trash can approach - looking forward to his 1-18 series stats - keep banging teddy bear.