1. Welcome! Please take a few seconds to create your free account to post threads, make some friends, remove a few ads while surfing and much more. ClutchFans has been bringing fans together to talk Houston Sports since 1996. Join us!

Has anyone lost their jobs?

Discussion in 'BBS Hangout' started by Air Langhi, Oct 10, 2020.

?

Did you lose your job?

1. yes

10 vote(s)
    22.7%
  2. no

34 vote(s)
    77.3%
  1. JayZ750

JayZ750 Contributing Member

180 that Lol. You know nobody impacted by this virus in any way. Certainly not physically as you laid that out yourself.

i highly suspect not financially or economically... as, well... you’re fatty ... that’s not you.

But by all means... in no way respond to any of the points I made lol.

IBTL likes this.
  2. JayZ750

Seriously. There are so many idiots out there...

“I know nobody impacted by this!! This is a farce!!! What about the poor people (that I’ve literally never thought a second about before in my life!!!). Masks are for sheeple!!”

these arguments are dumb and tired... especially because if we weren’t stuck with the worst government administration in the history of this country we wound be in a very different, much better situation.

but you do you...

CometsWin and Outlier like this.
  3. Blake

Blake Contributing Member

I think you both need to understand both sides. Both of you have valid points and there is no magic solution. I know people who have lost parents to COVID and I know people with families who have been financially ruined by the lockdowns. Neither group deserved what they got.

and I’m not gonna get political as I am an equal party hater, but please recall when you rightfully criticize this admin’s terrible response that when they did begin putting measures into place the other side started attacking them for doing it for a while

I wish I had an answer

arkoe, B-Bob, Bobbythegreat and 5 others like this.
  4. JayZ750

i do understand both sides.

that’s the point.

I literally said in my post that a smart, responsible approach would be one that could look at all angles and take steps and measures to combat all the perils of the situation. We’ve seen this play out with competent leadership elsewhere.

or... we can just pretend that all of a sudden fatty cares about other people....???

btw: I’m also an “equal” party hater. In the sense that when either party is being dumb, I hate them. It’s not hard to see which party currently is being way more dumb.... among other faults.

IBTL and jiggyfly like this.
  5. Juxtaposed Jolt

Can we not turn this thread into a D&D? There's literally a sub-forum and a thread in that subforum about Covid-19.

This thread should be one that helps people find jobs. That would be great.

Can we name drop you and get an interview with your company? :cool:

jiggyfly, B-Bob, Yung-T and 4 others like this.
  6. Mr.Scarface

Mr.Scarface Member

The point is this does your right to work override a small percentage of people right NOT TO DIE? Republicans would happily let 1-5% of the population die if they could control which demographics are the victims. The problem for them is they cannot. Dan Patrick saying he is willing to sacrifice Seniors was the truest statement by a Republican. Everything to a Republican is about MONEY.

With that said, If people would just wear a mask and social distance...the virus infection rate would drop and there would less impact on the economy.

7. Invisible Fan

Invisible Fan Contributing Member

There's different issues going on to prevent reopening. No vaccine. Highly contagious. People not following or properly handling protocol.

Asia has mostly contained it and their economy is running at 80%. So it can be done. It's not a fantasy and no one has to resort to China tactics to get there

Europe is fighting the same fatigue and they're slowly getting sloppy with the masks. They're not terrible at American levels but they have unemployment and job protections that doesn't incentivize citizens turning against other citizens, particularly the weak, poor and elderly.

We flattened the curve enough so that hospitals don't overflow, but we haven't reduced rates of spread below 1:1.

That means there's enough of a chance for it to come back like it did in mid summer. With the flu season coming and less sunshine, now is not the time to think about relaxing rules.

If anything we should find common agreement in safety measures so that we can work at reducing infected.

That's really the only way to beat this. 70% working in isolation while 10% roam mask free is enough to keep the infected rate as it is.

One wedding or party can happen to infect 30-40 others and even if only one dies from it, the bigger more selfish picture is that we reset the clock back for months.

Quit being a dumb slob and do your part if you really care about jobs and other people's livelihood

B-Bob, AroundTheWorld and Nook like this.
  8. Nook

Nook Member

I know 4 people who have died from it.

Well over 250,000 Americans have died from it in 7-8 months.

A lot of things ARE open now.

Invisible Fan likes this.
  9. superfob

superfob Mommy WOW! I'm a Big Kid now.

Outside of bars locally, is anything actually shutdown? The biggest issue with COVID-19 isn't the government restrictions, it's the loss of consumer confidence which has changed consumption behavior. This is what's killing the service, travel, leisure industry. Houston has an extra whammy of the oil industry getting hit at the same time.

Until this is fixed, the economy will continue to be depressed because consumer demand just isn't there. That's why "handling the virus" has always been the only way to "fix the economy".

dookiester likes this.
  10. Jontro

Jontro Member

shiiiii @RedRedemption breh finna hook brehs up with jobs! much respect.

11. No Worries

No Worries Contributing Member

I have not yet, but I am extremely lucky.

After 9/11, I did lose my job, but almost a year afterwards. Again, I was lucky, since I lost my job closer to the end of the cycle than the beginning.

B-Bob likes this.
  12. Bobbythegreat

Bobbythegreat Member
    Supporting Member

I missed 6 weeks of work when I had COVID-19 back in April, but I was paid for my time away. Since then things have slowed down a bit but there have been no layoffs and annual raises were better this year than at any point in the last 5 years.... but I work in an industry that is pretty much recession-proof. People continue to get old and sick no matter what the economy as a whole does so that means steady business for the most part.

13. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

LEVITY? I don't think you understand what that word means.

Invisible Fan and Buck Turgidson like this.
  14. Buck Turgidson

This was my point earlier.

bobrek likes this.
  15. bobrek

bobrek Politics belong in the D & D

I understood... not sure if he would...

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  16. B-Bob

B-Bob "94-year-old self-described dreamer"

+1

Came here to hear how people are doing. Only learn that one idiot is still an idiot apparently, b/c all y’all replying to it.

jiggyfly likes this.
  17. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

Yeah I don't think you should be treating this situation with "levity."

18. rocketsjudoka

rocketsjudoka Contributing Member
    Supporting Member

I'm an owner in my business so haven't lost my job but things really slowed down. it looks like things are picking up and have just started two smaller projects and likely will get another large project in a week or so.

B-Bob and Buck Turgidson like this.
  19. leroy

leroy Contributing Member

Definitely tough going in that industry right now. Houston is especially dead for new construction. And what little is going forward are doing so with the glut of used equipment and ready-to-go spaces. I've had almost no sales in Houston since June. I did pick up the Austin/SA/South TX territory so I have work. There's definitely more going on in Central TX than here. But it's certainly down everywhere.

Buck Turgidson likes this.
  20. Ziggy

Ziggy QUEEN ANON

I'm not even sure what Fatty is advocating for? You can open everything up to 100% capacity across the USA. The jobs wont come back. More people will get sick. People will continue to avoid the virus.

A client of mine is up this year in sales organizationally. They never had to shut down. Essential business. But the VIRUS did manage to cripple 4 locations, all of which are still underperforming. 2 of these locations lost nearly 2 months of work because they had too many employees sick. Only 1 death so far fortunately. But lots of people in bad shape.

There's not really an easy answer here.

Personally I don't know anyone that has lost their job. Lulz. I guess jobs aren't an issue then.

#40 Ziggy, Oct 11, 2020
    Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    superfob and Buck Turgidson like this.